PDA

View Full Version : Oregon Stampede 2013 - info / logistics ?

raygunner
03-10-2013, 02:44 PM
Anyone have more info about the Oregon Stampede for this year?

I've read about & seen photos for previous ones and so this year I'm thinking about making the trek out from the Middle West and partaking!

I'm curious about logistics from Portland. I know how to get there. But I don't know how to get to the start of the ride. Would it be preferable to stay close to the start of the ride the night before or drive in the AM?

Any advice,tips would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to get a super jump start on all my summer plans!

- Eric

krhea
03-10-2013, 11:15 PM
Anyone have more info about the Oregon Stampede for this year?

I've read about & seen photos for previous ones and so this year I'm thinking about making the trek out from the Middle West and partaking!

I'm curious about logistics from Portland. I know how to get there. But I don't know how to get to the start of the ride. Would it be preferable to stay close to the start of the ride the night before or drive in the AM?

Any advice,tips would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to get a super jump start on all my summer plans!

- Eric

Eric, crazy great ride in the middle of nowhere'sville Oregon with tons of climbing, well over 9000' and 120+ miles with probably over 60% on dirt. It's relatively long haul from Portland and I'd suggest either camping at the start or grabbing a hotel somewhere in the gorge, Hood River perhaps or The Dalles. If you stay at either place it's an easy AM drive to the start, however, VeloDirt events aren't everything they should or can be unless you actually camp the night before with the tribe.
Just make sure you heed the warnings about heat and winds. It can be blazingly hot out there on those roads as most are pretty exposed with few if any trees and the wind coming through the gorge can really make for a hot, dry day in the saddle.
Wish I could do it this year but there's another event the next day we're riding.
Another amazing VeloDirt ride is "The Rapture" on May 4th. It's worth travelling west to ride for sure.

KRhea

raygunner
03-11-2013, 01:38 PM
I just realized the ride is during my finals week...probably not the best time to miss class!

I don't have a fascination with truancy unlike Spicoli.

That being said I just realized there's the Gravel Metric May 26th which is ALOT closer to home ('burbs of Chicago).

This way I can ride & go to school. Totally awesome!

gavingould
03-11-2013, 02:20 PM
the gravel metric is a great ride, though Ben Berden said last year there's no way he'd do it again.

it'll be my 4th assuming it's not over 90 degrees, that's just too much for me.