PDA

View Full Version : 32 hole deep rim lacing - bad idea?

thegunner
03-09-2013, 05:37 PM
hey folks - considering taking my pair of dt350/powertap 32h wheels and lacing them up to a pair of 80 mm carbon clinchers for time trialing purposes. is there anything that would make this a bad idea? maybe the angle coming from hubs is too extreme? my main concern is the 32h factor, but maybe that's a non-issue...

wanted to vet this by you fine group before doing something incredibly stupid. as some of you know, this happens a lot.

FlashUNC
03-09-2013, 05:45 PM
One question: would the carbon clinchers also be 32 hole?

thegunner
03-09-2013, 06:16 PM
yeah, gonna get custom drill'ems from farsports

Grant McLean
03-09-2013, 06:28 PM
is there anything that would make this a bad idea?

Well, high spoke count is counter-productive if you're trying to make a set
of wheels aero. The drag from the spokes is a significant factor, perhaps
more than the profile of the rim. This is why Shimano uses 16 spokes in
their front wheels, and why their wheels with a 24mm rim is virtually as aero
as the 50mm.

-g

ergott
03-09-2013, 06:33 PM
Wouldn't do it. At best you could do a triplet rear with a 24 hole rim and get another front hub. Maybe you can find someone to swap the rear PT hub with. Some people get low spoke count PT hubs and would rather have a higher spoke count.

carpediemracing
03-09-2013, 07:51 PM
Although PTs are supposed to have even spoke counts left/right I've heard of people doing 8 spokes left, 16 spoke right, to a 24 hole rim.

On non-PT hubs I used to do this all the time when Zipp 340s and 440s first came out. 24H hubs were not easy to come by so I'd just use old 32H hubs for the rear.

ultraman6970
03-09-2013, 08:25 PM
Clinchers and TT are just two concepts that can't go together.

nooneline
03-09-2013, 08:33 PM
Although PTs are supposed to have even spoke counts left/right I've heard of people doing 8 spokes left, 16 spoke right, to a 24 hole rim.

On non-PT hubs I used to do this all the time when Zipp 340s and 440s first came out. 24H hubs were not easy to come by so I'd just use old 32H hubs for the rear.

i have a friend who laced a bunch of rear wheels that way. he called it "the poor man's G3 lacing." worked out well for him.

thegunner
03-09-2013, 08:34 PM
Clinchers and TT are just two concepts that can't go together.

tell tony martin that.

false_Aest
03-10-2013, 12:22 AM
Well, high spoke count is counter-productive if you're trying to make a set
of wheels aero. The drag from the spokes is a significant factor, perhaps
more than the profile of the rim. This is why Shimano uses 16 spokes in
their front wheels, and why their wheels with a 24mm rim is virtually as aero
as the 50mm.

-g

Grant,

I thought data said that spoke count doesn't really matter if you have aero spokes (i.e. they're so close together the turbulence is ~ the same).

thegunner
03-10-2013, 08:10 AM
Wouldn't do it. At best you could do a triplet rear with a 24 hole rim and get another front hub. Maybe you can find someone to swap the rear PT hub with. Some people get low spoke count PT hubs and would rather have a higher spoke count.

so that might be an option, but is there a safety concern with going 32 front rear?

oldpotatoe
03-10-2013, 08:12 AM
so that might be an option, but is there a safety concern with going 32 front rear?

Safety? No

nooneline
03-10-2013, 09:01 AM
tell tony martin that.

you'd have plenty of time to tell him that during another wheel change...

spaced_ghost
03-10-2013, 09:20 AM
Grant,

I thought data said that spoke count doesn't really matter if you have aero spokes (i.e. they're so close together the turbulence is ~ the same).

i've always heard that the benefit from aero spokes is lost at higher spoke counts.

thegunner
03-10-2013, 02:32 PM
you'd have plenty of time to tell him that during another wheel change...

i blame the tires! if he had some quality vittoria's... :)

okay, so we've determined nothing about this is actually dangerous (when it comes to overly stressing the hubs/nipples) - although going 20 up front with a triplet 24 rear might work better. correct?

false_Aest
03-10-2013, 04:50 PM
i've always heard that the benefit from aero spokes is lost at higher spoke counts.

From a Zipp pdf.

Nothing is crystal clear.

"Conclusion
In conclusion it seems that the basic conceptual design of the wheel, and it’s spokes, is more important than small detail changes in spoke count. Individually, these changes are moderate, but taken as a whole, the results are quite large. One could theorize that changing from 32 round to 32 oval spokes would provide a differential in wattage to spin, by as much as 10 watts, but to move from 32 round spokes to 18 or 20 ovalized ones can yield more than 20 watts of improvement. However, once these major improvements have been made, small changes in spoke shape or count are marginal at best. In the 404 test, we see that adding 12 additional spokes leaves us a possible increase in wattage of only 1-5 watts, and the move from 18 to 16 spokes seems to have essentially no benefit whatsoever, so the key is to be aware of what other factors may be sacrificed for these minute or nonexistent advantages."

ultraman6970
03-10-2013, 05:36 PM
Actually the times i know he ran with F.. clinchers he got punctures to start with.

tell tony martin that.

thegunner
03-10-2013, 05:44 PM
Actually the times i know he ran with F.. clinchers he got punctures to start with.

http://roadcyclinguk.com/news/gear-news/tony-martin-rides-clincher-tyres-to-uci-road-world-championships-time-trial-victory.html

you're right. now can we stop detracting from the actual question?

ultraman6970
03-10-2013, 05:50 PM
Ok, but the world cup... happy now? :D

http://roadcyclinguk.com/news/gear-news/tony-martin-rides-clincher-tyres-to-uci-road-world-championships-time-trial-victory.html

you're right. now can we stop detracting from the actual question?