PDA

View Full Version : Inversion Tables for lower back?

oldguy00
03-09-2013, 06:57 AM
Anyone tried using a gravity/inversion table for lower back pain?
Or has anyone used one of the Saunders Lumbar traction devices? Any luck with either? Anything specific I should look for in an inversion table (I've never been on one....).

I currently own a Saunders cervical traction device and do find it is helpful in giving the neck a good stretch...

Thx!

54ny77
03-09-2013, 07:42 AM
if you don't have any other medical issues, they can be great.

biggest concern is the rush of blood to the head or any other head-related issue.

i was on one once and it induced vertigo. that was not fun.

goes without saying, i don't use inversion tables anymore....

MattTuck
03-09-2013, 07:50 AM
I think that they could be good for stretching and possibly some alignment issues. But if there are underlying muscle imbalances or weakness that cause the pain, I don't see how they'll provide more than temporary relief.

54ny77
03-09-2013, 07:57 AM
correct--that's all they do, temp pain relief.

if it works for you (without causing other issues), it beats having to take pain meds.

i went through intensive phys therapy for my back to address underlying issues (imbalance) and no longer needed it. that, plus the vertigo thing, no thanks!

I think that they could be good for stretching and possibly some alignment issues. But if there are underlying muscle imbalances or weakness that cause the pain, I don't see how they'll provide more than temporary relief.

regularguy412
03-09-2013, 08:07 AM
I've owned and used mine since 2006. I've discovered that I like using it a lot more without going full-inversion. I set mine to about 60 degrees inverted and get good results for decompression without getting the head-rush/blood pressure issues associated with full inversion.

I started out with about 40 degrees inverted and worked my way up to 90 degrees, but found that I didn't like hanging by my ankles. The 60 degree number is a good compromise. I usually spend about 5 minutes per session on mine.

Mike in AR:beer:

PSC
03-09-2013, 09:26 AM
Like mine, only spend a few minutes a day on it and it seems to help. Spent about $90 on a cheap model at Big 5 sports on the recommendation of my chiropractor.

rbtmcardle
03-09-2013, 09:52 AM
I've had good luck with mine.. A life save for those times I do something stupid and get my lower back in compression.. Generally hanging for a few minutes for a few days and I feel great.. However, I generally have good back health.

rice rocket
03-09-2013, 10:31 AM
if you don't have any other medical issues, they can be great.

biggest concern is the rush of blood to the head or any other head-related issue.

i was on one once and it induced vertigo. that was not fun.

goes without saying, i don't use inversion tables anymore....

Like others have said, you don't have to go full inversion to feel the effects.

There are also add-ons that replace the foot bar with velcro straps so you don't have to constantly flex your foot to hold your body weight up.

cycle_chic
03-09-2013, 10:43 AM
If you're traveling and can't take this device with you, there are simple yoga postures that may be helpful. Downward-facing-dog, cat pose and cow pose come to mind. Good luck with your back pain.