PDA

View Full Version : Bad News

MadRocketSci
11-14-2005, 03:32 PM
This is a tragedy for the Bay Area cycling community. Clay was the nicest guy in the bike industry that I've ever met. He occasionally popped in here as ClayM. I've called City Cycle to confirm his passing; as of now, it looks like there weren't any other vehicles involved.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/13164404.htm

Posted on Mon, Nov. 14, 2005

Bicyclist dies after found on San Mateo Co. road

Bay City News Service

Authorities are determining if a bicyclist who died after he was found Sunday on a San Mateo County road was hit by a vehicle or crashed on his own.

Clay Mankin, 49, of Berkeley, was apparently unconscious when he was found on the road near 10501 Skyline Boulevard in San Mateo County around 3:37 p.m., according to the California Highway Patrol. He was pronounced dead around 4:16 p.m.

The CHP's Redwood City area office is investigating the crash.

An autopsy could be performed as early as Monday, according to the San Mateo County Coroner's Office.

Serpico
11-14-2005, 03:36 PM
sad news, condolences to his family

weisan
11-14-2005, 03:40 PM
Oh no! I am shocked by the news.
Here's the last post (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=135551&postcount=58) by Clay-pal.

Skrawny
11-14-2005, 03:55 PM
oh god

Big Dan
11-14-2005, 03:59 PM
Sad news....

loctite
11-14-2005, 04:12 PM
Truely a sad day for the bike industry. I didnt know Clay but only heard great things about him. The people i work for knew him and will miss nim dearly. You are in our prayers Clay.

Serotta PETE
11-14-2005, 04:18 PM
Sad news. We never know when our last day on earth will be.

This is another of the reasons for living each day to the fullest and treating all as we would want to be treated.

Give thanks to all the "good" we have in our lives and not lose sleep or "energy cycles" over what we do not have....

My prayers are with his family and friends.

PETE

ERDR
11-14-2005, 05:18 PM
i've met clay several times, both at the sunflower events and in s.f. what a personable guy. he several times told me to look him up when in town and i never got to it. live for the present.
ciao bro.
s.

Brian Smith
11-14-2005, 05:36 PM
Holy smokes, that's awfully sad.
I didn't know him well, but I knew him to act supportive and gratefully.

ada@prorider.or
11-14-2005, 05:48 PM
really sad

:mad: :mad: :mad:

jerk
11-14-2005, 05:53 PM
clay was a good man. had opportunity to meet him a few years ago. later days.

jerk

Smiley
11-14-2005, 06:09 PM
I had met Clay on a couple of occasion through my dealings with Serotta , one really nice guy. Ben Serotta is really close with Clay and I am sure will be taking this hard. A really nice guy gone . Please be careful and like Pete said so well "live life".

My condolences to Clays family and the employees of City Cycles in SF.

sellsworth
11-14-2005, 06:20 PM
I found this information about Clay on the SF Bicycle Coalition website:

"Clay Mankin is the CEO of City Cycle of San Francisco, a retail bike shop in Cow Hollow that he opened in 1986. A dedicated cyclist since childhood, Clay has worked in bike shops since 1971. A passion for all kinds of riding: transportation, touring and racing, along with the great personal pleasure of helping others discover the many benefits and satisfactions of cycling propelled him toward store ownership. City Cycle specializes in custom bikes and biomechanical rider positioning. Clay served on the San Francisco Bicycle Advisory committee for several years and was involved in the successful effort to gain 24hr cycling access to the Golden Gate Bridge. A long-time SFBC member and supporter, Clay works every day to put more people on bikes."

It sounds as if he is leaving quite a legacy.

sevencyclist
11-14-2005, 07:14 PM
This is really sad news. I got my Seven from City Cycle and felt that the staff was very professional because Clay set the right tone.

Condolences to Clay's family and staff.

Zard
11-14-2005, 09:17 PM
A real tragedy. Clay was a very nice man. I was just at CityCycle on Saturday.... this hits very close to home.

Dude
11-14-2005, 09:28 PM
Clay was SUCH a nice man. That really is a shame. Every time i went out to San Fran i'd stop in his shop and each time he would recommend new restaurants to try out.

Its a shame as there are few people as nice and genuine as Clay was.

steelrider
11-14-2005, 10:04 PM
Truly sad news. I stopped by the shop this afternoon. The mood was understandibly downbeat. I had no idea. To echo the various sentiments, live life as if each day were your last.

Random
11-14-2005, 10:13 PM
I had finished my bicycle ride to the coast and was taking a late afternoon motorcycle cruise down Skyline Blvd at around 4:30 when I saw three police cars by the side of the road. Right across from Fogarty Vinyards. I was suprised when I passed because I saw a bike on its side in the ditch. It seemed to have panniers or some such on it. I didn't see anyone other than some pretty glum looking policemen. No cars, no sign of an accident.

It was Clay. I only met him a couple of times but he was always passionate about cycling. Our loss.

andy mac
11-14-2005, 10:13 PM
he was a real gentleman, tragic news.

peace, happiness and tailwinds,

andy.

Needs Help
11-15-2005, 01:58 AM
Take care Clay. :(

RABikes2
11-15-2005, 02:02 AM
My condolences to Clay's family, staff, and his many friends.

Bruce K
11-15-2005, 04:36 AM
I rode with Clay at this year's Sunflower Revolution. His attitude and enthusiasm helped to create part of a very memorable weekend.

This is really upsetting.

The bicycling community has lost a good one.

BK

andy mac
11-15-2005, 07:35 AM
some more details.

seems he died of natural causes doing what he loves best, rolling on 2 wheels.

http://www.citycycle.com/

cdmc
11-15-2005, 09:21 AM
So very sad to see such an obviously wonderful person die at an early age. At least he was fortunate enough to have it happen doing something he loved. I hope to be as fortunate when my time comes.

Kevan
11-15-2005, 09:31 AM
sad indeed.

BumbleBeeDave
11-15-2005, 04:30 PM
. . . add my voice to the chorus, since it IS a tragedy though I never met Clay. But he must have been a very special guy to inspire Ben himself to post something in memoriam. I don't believe I've ever seen Ben post here before.

I'm wishing I had enjoyed a chance to meet Clay.

BBDave

norcalbiker
11-15-2005, 06:38 PM
My condolences and prayers to his love ones.

R.I.P.

Skrawny
11-15-2005, 10:33 PM
I met Clay about a year and a half ago and have had the privilege of sharing in his knowledge, passion and generosity since then. I enjoyed the times we rode together and appreciated his patience with my incessant questions. I only noticed how close our birthdays were when he died on mine.

He was riding on a beautiful strip of road on a beautiful day. While I wish I was there and could have helped him, I would want to meet my end the same way.
-rob

Elmer
11-16-2005, 08:07 AM
My wife and I met Clay at the Carpenter/Phinney Tuscany Bike Camp in September. I remember seeing this guy with a bike that had a front and rear rack and thought "what the heck is this?" Well, turns out Clay was on his way to the Milan bike show and was invited to attend the camp as a "technical advisor" to the patrons. He was always willing to help an individual with bike setup and things like that. My wife fondly remembers Clay talking her thru a particularly twisty descent and telling her when to brake, how to position herself on the bike and kept reminding her that he was right there with her the whole way. Last we saw him was the morning he set out for Milan from Castegneto Carduici, panniers all loaded up and ready to go. That's how we choose to remember him. Riding on down the road, happy to be on his bike, with a purpose in life and to touch people in a way unique to Clay. How completly shocked and saddened we are to hear of his passing.

Ride on Clay, ride on.

rspecker
11-16-2005, 11:14 AM
The last time I was in the shop Clay showed my pictures of the small, totally custom Serotta that his son rides. My son is the same age, and he gave me advice on teaching him to ride—it worked perfectly. I’m sure that Clay had this kind of impact everywhere.

My condolences to this family, particularly his son.

Zard
11-16-2005, 11:42 AM
Clay's obit from the San Francisco Chronicle:

Clay Mankin, the popular owner of City Cycle on Union Street in San Francisco, died Sunday near Woodside of apparently natural causes while bicycling on a solo trip to Santa Barbara. He was 49.

He had just begun his weeklong ride to Southern California, re-creating a trip he did 30 years ago , when he was found lying next to Highway 35 in the coastal hills on the Peninsula. Attempts by paramedics to revive him were unsuccessful, and he was pronounced dead. Results of an autopsy are pending.

Mr. Mankin lived in Berkeley with his wife, Alison, and 4-year-old son, Riley.

"Anybody who has been around the bike community in the Bay Area has heard of Clay and City Cycle and his reputation as a larger-than-life presence," said Leah Shahum, executive director of the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition. Mr. Mankin was elected to the Bicycle Coalition board of directors two years ago. "He's been just amazing to work with," Shahum said.

Clay Richard Mankin was born in 1955 in Emporia, Kan. He came west to pursue his love of cycling, and in 1986, he and partner Chris Smith opened City Cycle in San Francisco's Cow Hollow neighborhood. From the start, he sold to the serious cyclists.

As road biking took hold in San Francisco, City Cycle, in an old corner storefront at Union and Steiner streets, became known as a gathering place for hobbyists in tight racing colors and a great place to work. The shop was always closed on Jimi Hendrix's birthday for a memorial bike ride. As Mr. Mankin often said about the holiday, "You gotta show respect for your cultural icons." The only thing he enjoyed more than a three-hour ride was the three-hour feast with friends that followed.

"He knew what he wanted his life to be, and he relentlessly pursued his desires,'' said Smith, who sold his interest to Mr. Mankin two years after opening. "He was a great rider. He never stopped."

In addition to his wife of 14 years and his son, Mr. Mankin is survived by his mother, Jeanne Mankin and sister Ellen Cargill, both of Alpharetta, Ga., brother David Mankin of Terrell, Texas, and Paul Mankin of Lawrenceville, Ga.

A fund to benefit Riley Mankin is being established. Information on that and a memorial planned for early December can be found at www.citycycle.com.

The family said memorial donations may be made to the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition or MoveOn.org.

shinomaster
11-16-2005, 11:34 PM
http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/9171.0.html

we have the same silly 80's jersey!

William
11-17-2005, 06:07 AM
My condolences to his family and friends.

William

Skrawny
11-18-2005, 10:07 AM
I am not a spokesperson for City Cycle - nor for the les Volantes riding club, however, I thought those of you in the Bay Area may be interested:

The annual Jimi Hendrix memorial ride is scheduled for the Friday after Thanksgiving. Although it is unofficial, I suspect it will be in memorium of more than Hendrix this year. The route has not been set yet, but it is usually a moderate ride, open to all levels of riders, which finishes at a restaurant. Anyone interested is welcome to ride with me (us). I will post more info as it becomes available.
-skrawny

PS:
The ride is on FRIDAY, not Sat. Will probably be about 9:30am.
Route info to follow.

I also want to reiterate that the Les Volantes club is a separate group of riders and this is not a City Cycle event. Everyone is welcome.

Treadly
11-19-2005, 12:19 PM
Clay: Human Being

A few years ago I rode with Clay and Ben on a great Marin ride and enjoyed excellent conversations and camaraderie! Each very relaxed! Those guys grooved together! Sweet time!

I helped Clay with Bike Swap one year and had a great time and a lot of laughs hearing about his first bike shop in Memphis and early years creating City Cycle!

Bought my Ottrott @ CC which was an amazing experience to behold and continues every time I swing a leg over this perfect machine...all of which was made possible by the vision and attitude and nurturing of a philosophy of excellence and care by Clay that permeates throughout all of the greatest shop I've ever experienced!

A human being! Rare in this day!

Then POOF!

He's gone!

My heart to You and Alison and Riley!

Thanks Clay! You made a difference!

L.B.Burrow

Skrawny
11-13-2007, 10:53 AM
Two years ago today.
He left behind a wonderful wife, a cute kid, and an unmatch cycling legacy in San Francisco.

-s

Alexi
11-13-2007, 10:56 AM
That's terrible, my heart goes out to his family and friends.

mikki
11-13-2007, 11:15 AM

Fixed
11-13-2007, 11:16 AM
life is short it can end now
hug your love ones
show and tell your love
don't wait to do things you might run out of time
cheers imho