PDA

View Full Version : Sierra Nevada Serotta Team Bike

MarinRider
02-29-2004, 11:12 PM
I was chatting with a Sierra Nevada Pro at the Orosi Road Race this weekend and he gave me the scoop on their new Serottas.

While everyone on the team is still riding their Time frames from last year, their new Serottas are arriving slowly. Of the few they received so far are mechanics' dream, easy to put together, perfectly aligned. They reason the frames are taking time is that every team bike is a custom. Every member of the race team was measured and fitted by someone at Serotta (I think it was Greg). And these boys like their headtube short and bottom bracket high.

Each member of their team receives two bikes from Serotta: an Ottrott as their race bike and Coer d'Acier as their "home" trainer. Some are excited to have a steel bike from a sponsor and are planning to race steel in few races this year. The "top guns" in the team also get a Legend ST as an additional "trainer".

The color? No longer white and red flames. The team was wearing the new green and yellow Serotta jerseys. The bikes, I am told, will be in a sizzler scheme with green upfront and yellow pin stripes. They plan to race the new Serottas by Sea Otter by early April. The rumor is that Ben and Lori are likely to make the trip out as well.

All is not lost for Serotta this weekend even though the Sierra Nevada boys were not riding their new frames. I represented Serotta proudly by winning my category on a custom Legend. Now if I can only get Ben to give me a frame or two...

EPOJoe
02-29-2004, 11:29 PM
Congratulations on the win, Marin, and thanks much for the update! I'm gonna try and make it down to Sea Otter so's I can take a look myself. :)

Kevin
03-01-2004, 05:40 AM
Marin,

Nice win.

Kevin

hooverone
03-02-2004, 09:32 AM
Does anyone have any pics of these bikes and does Sierra Nevada have a web page?

Jim

BumbleBeeDave
03-02-2004, 09:44 AM
Congrats! What is your category and do you have a pic of your bike and those news jerseys?

BBDave

Bruce K
03-02-2004, 09:48 AM
BBDave;

Sierra Nevada Cycling Team has recently updated their website showing off their new green "kit" and 2 beautiful Ottrott ST's.

BK

jeffg
03-02-2004, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Bruce K
BBDave;

Sierra Nevada Cycling Team has recently updated their website showing off their new green "kit" and 2 beautiful Ottrott ST's.

BK

What address are you using? I saw what looked like two Legend STs at http://www.sierranevadacycling.com/index.htm; however, the pic was not of great quality and the photo gallery is still under contstruction ...

best,

Jeff

Bruce K
03-02-2004, 10:00 AM
I took just a quick look and was assuming they were the Ottrotts

Maybe they are the Legend ST training bikes.

A little help here, Marin?

BK

Tom
03-02-2004, 10:05 AM
They oughta update the sponsors tab, too, unless my keen eye for the obvious has failed me again.

Bruce K
03-02-2004, 10:14 AM
Tom;

I think Jeff pointed out, the site is still "under construction".

At least they are showing this year's kit and paint job.

BK

Todd Owen
03-02-2004, 11:31 AM
I called the company and the new jerseys are just in production now and will be available I am told thru the brewery and link thru serotta. I am psyched because I work for one of the sponsors and have a Porsche Bebe green legend so the new Jersey will be color and job coordinated. Bike nerd alert! I hope Bully doesn't see me or he may beat me up!

PanTerra
03-02-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by jeffg
What address are you using? I saw what looked like two Legend STs at http://www.sierranevadacycling.com/index.htm; however, the pic was not of great quality and the photo gallery is still under contstruction ...

best,

Jeff

Those pesky extraneous punctuation marks kill links
http://www.sierranevadacycling.com/index.htm

MarinRider
03-02-2004, 08:12 PM
is a pretty small (but hilly and difficult) race south of Fresno. Since it was pretty far from Sacramento and Chico where most of the team members live, leaders on Sierra Nevada didn't ride the race. Chris Horner from Webcor also didn't show for the race.

The Sierra Nevada boys at the race were all riding Time frames from last year, so i didn't see the new Serotta Team frame.

I am pretty sure about Ottrott being the team frame and CDA as the trainer. Leaders of the team also get a Legend ST as an additional trainer, I am told. Also I don't think they are obligated to ride Ottrott in races as the guy I was talking to was planning to race his CDA.

The first race on the national calendar, McLane Pacific, is in 2 weeks. Trent, Eric, and other leaders should be there and, hopefully, riding their new Serottas.

I'll give an update then.

SteveE
03-04-2004, 12:04 AM
As of Tuesday, Eric W. still wasn't riding a Serotta.

MarinRider, I'll be racing McLane Pacific, also. It's only my second race, so I'll likely be pack fodder. :(

ClayM
03-04-2004, 04:20 PM
The Sierra Nevada frame design/rider position fit work was done by Craig Kelliher, the manager at City Cycle of SF, at Serotta's request. Craig did six rider positions in six hours at Max Testa's clinic in Sacramento: Russell Hamby, Jason Klikna, Ben Jaques-Maynes, Eric Wohlberg, Troy White & Trent Klasna. Glenn Mitchell came to City Cycle in SF where Craig did the fit work.

ClayM

Roy E. Munson
03-04-2004, 04:23 PM
Marin,

What Cat did you race in?

MarinRider
03-04-2004, 08:38 PM
Roy,

I just started racing seriously this year and won the Senior 5 in Orosi. I will be doing Senior 4 races starting in March.

With some hardwork and luck, I hope to get up to 3 by next year.

We'll see...