PDA

View Full Version : OT: Help me get artistic....

William
03-07-2013, 03:41 PM
Since our abode is a farmhouse that was built back in 1780, the former farmers and inhabitants have left little surprises for our family to discover. Most of what we have found to date has been farm tools and horse shoes. We have also found tractor parts, old furniture, and even a nice water color painting of the farmhouse rolled up and hidden away in one of the barns. I'm thinking of doing something decorative with some of the pieces we've found. What's pictured is a small portion of the finds. I'm wondering if I should use a rust converter on them or just leave the natural patina? I used some rust converter on the strap hinges of the storm door on the front entry. Turned them nice and black. Certainly looks better than rust color on a front door.

I have a few ideas but I thought it might be fun to throw it out to the forum and see what kind of ideas you all throw back at me. What can I do with them?:)

William

dd74
03-07-2013, 03:49 PM
Cool stuff. I would use the rust converter to turn them black if that will work, then find some period furniture pieces -- nothing big, but like a smaller side table that would go against a wall, and display the pieces on the table.

The horseshoes might look good nailed to a wall. That pail is great.

Steve in SLO
03-07-2013, 03:56 PM
how about turning the bits into a mobile and hanging the bucket from it?

MattTuck
03-07-2013, 04:00 PM
Along the same lines, wood a wind chime be possible?

You could also donate it to the smithsonian as part of the history of the U.S. Not sure the Smithsonian would think it was all that worthy, but maybe you could get something that recognized you for your contribution... pretty neat idea, I think.

or you could open your own museum of historical rusting farm hardware of RI....

Ahneida Ride
03-07-2013, 05:47 PM
wrap em in HB and use em as training tools !

They strongly resemble training tools anyway. :p :p

false_Aest
03-07-2013, 06:05 PM
I have a few ideas but I thought it might be fun to throw it out to the forum and see what kind of ideas you all throw back at me. What can I do with them?:)

Are you married?
If so, how long?

Also, "Proust" is a fantastic safe-word.