PDA

View Full Version : Stop me! (on a budget)

Nooch
03-07-2013, 03:19 PM
So I've been eying swapping my CruX over from canti's to mini-v's, since I ride it on the road the majority of the year and would appreciate some more power for my commute.

Set-up is Sram Rival, so I was eying the TRP CX8.4's, since they're supposedly the best length (84mm) for the pull ratio, but they're a bit out of my range.

The Tektro 926al is extremely budget conscience, but with only an 80mm arm, I'm not sure how they'll stop compared to the 8.4's. The other option are the RX5's, which are 85mm.

So which, the 926al or the RX5's, will play nicest with the rival levers? I don't really know if the 4mm shorter or the 1mm longer even makes a rats-heiny worth of difference, but if 84mm is a magic number for the 8.4's I figure there's something to it...

BumbleBeeDave
03-07-2013, 03:21 PM
. . . on which of these fits in best with your CS employee discount and how much Ramen your family is willing to eat. :rolleyes:

BBD

pdmtong
03-07-2013, 03:49 PM
I have the 8.4s woith force levers. they work great. so well, in fact, I need to modulate else I will endo.

that said, just get the 8.4s and dont look back. you want to save money on brakes? stop buying lattes for a month and bam, you got the delta covered. the most expensive piece of equipment is the one you buy TWICE. get what you want the first time and move on!

Nooch
03-07-2013, 08:57 PM
looks like I found some 8.4's! Man I love this place!

rice rocket
03-07-2013, 11:09 PM
The 8cm will give you more rim clearance, more stiffness, and less power, all of which are good because there is way too much power already.

One concern is they have less fender clearance. My EC90X and Planet Bike Cascadia Road fenders barely fit.

eippo1
03-07-2013, 11:14 PM
Yup, had to get rid of fenders with the switch myself, but much prefer the power and feel of the minis

pdmtong
03-08-2013, 08:49 AM
No fender issue here. Full fenders on s-works tricross. Brake sits right on top no problem

Nooch
03-17-2013, 04:17 AM
So I got the 8.4's from xeladragon.

I put them on yesterday and had to run new cables, installed in the center hole, and while I'm not sure what i was expecting, i'm not sure if they're quite right. Don't get me wrong, they stop, but the lever feel leaves something to be desired -- is this how it was for you guys? i also had to set them up very close to the rim to get the lever feel to be positive and not pull into the bars.

xeladragon
03-17-2013, 06:36 AM
Glad you got 'em, Drew!

With old SRAM Force levers, my pads were probably ~1.5mm from the rim for the front and ~2mm for the rear (difference due to position/height of canti mounts wrt rim). This allowed me to brake w/o the shift levers bottoming out and hitting my handlebar.

In terms of lever feel... hmm... I dunno... bike slowed down when I wanted to just slow down and it stopped when I needed it to stop. Used the stock TRP pads toed in... they were good enough. Sorry to hear you're not 100% satisfied though!