PDA

View Full Version : Something's Missing . . .

BumbleBeeDave
11-14-2005, 12:14 PM
. . . in this case, just about the whole d@mn store!

From Velo News today . . .

http://gazette.com/display.php?id=1312006&secid=2

So Bill Bove, how could there be ANYTHING left in this store?

BBDave

Metro/State OTHER HEADLINES

November 11, 2005
Bike-shop workers accused of theft

By ANSLEE WILLETT THE GAZETTE

Two Colorado Springs bicycle-shop employees were arrested on suspicion of stealing more than $383,000 of merchandise, most of it sold on eBay, police said Thursday.

It’s one of the largest employee thefts to be investigated by Colorado Springs police, the 4th Judicial District Attorney’s Office said.

William Reese Houghton,

32, and Michael Joe Kelty, 34, are suspected of felony theft from Pro Cycling on Briargate Boulevard near Chapel Hills Mall.

Both were arrested Wednesday. Houghton, a former manager, was freed on $10,000 bail, and Kelty posted $1,000 bail.

Kelty is suspected of stealing $8,400 worth of bicycles and parts last summer for himself and friends, police said.

Houghton is suspected of stealing at least $375,000 worth of bicycles, parts and clothing since the spring of 2003, according to court papers released Thursday.

Houghton made $147,605 selling the goods on eBay, often below retail price, an arrest affidavit states. One bike that retailed for $5,100 sold for $2,555.

Houghton, who ran the shop’s daily operations, had worldwide customers, including in South Korea, Germany and New Zealand, police said.

“He was the fox in the henhouse, taking photos of stuff in the store and putting it on eBay, making it seem like the money was coming back to the store,” Colorado Springs police detective Fred Walker said.

Houghton allegedly pocketed all the money he made on the sales, spending some of it on lingerie, steak dinners, a health club membership and satellite radio, said police, who obtained his bank records.

Houghton and Kelty were fired in September because of the owner’s suspicion that they were stealing from him.

Pro Cycling owner Bruce McGrew opened the shop in April 2003 and hired Houghton as manager for a salary of $1,000 a week, McGrew said Thursday. The two met at a bicycle shop about six years ago.

“The biggest mistake is I trusted Reese because I thought he was a friend of mine,” McGrew said.

Houghton allegedly began selling the items online six weeks after Pro Cycling opened and used the shop’s FedEx account to ship them, the affidavit states.

McGrew became suspicious when the business lost money each year — $400,000 in 2003, $280,000 in 2004 and $110,000 in 2005.

Early this year, McGrew hired a consultant to see what was wrong, thinking the shop simply wasn’t organized well.

Houghton was fired initially in March for missing a deadline to place a company ad in the phone book, said McGrew, who was then unaware of the alleged thefts.

“His management skills were absolutely awful,” McGrew said. “Now in hindsight, I see why. He was running two businesses and putting the most priority on his.”

Houghton begged to be rehired, saying he put “his heart and soul in this business,” McGrew said. He got his job back the next day, but was demoted to salesman with a lower salary, McGrew said.

McGrew’s consultant, Mark Norris, took over as manager and instituted a process for ordering and tracking inventory.

Norris was out for two months because of surgery, and Houghton was in charge of ordering inventory, the affidavit states.

When Norris returned, he found inventory missing. He and McGrew suspected internal theft and called police.

Between September 2003 and September 2005, Houghton posted 525 items for sale on eBay and sold 361 of them, the affidavit states.

“Coincidentally, the bulk of the postings dropped off dramatically in late January 2005 at around the same time that Mr. McGrew brought in Mr. Norris,” Walker wrote in the affidavit.

Now, McGrew is more involved with the shop’s daily operations. He wants to keep the business afloat.

“It’s a pretty ugly little mess. We’re looking at a store that has hardly anything left and a bunch of bills we didn’t know we had and a slow season ahead,” he said.

“I’ve made a commitment to re-merchandise the store and get us to spring and see what the business can do without a fair amount of the inventory being sold on eBay.”

CONTACT THE WRITER: 636-0366 or

awillett@gazette.com

Bruce K
11-14-2005, 12:19 PM
I saw that story.

I can't believe he went 3 years, losing THAT kind of money, without investigating much sooner.

I guess that's a take off on the old adage about how to make a small fortune in motorsports - you start with a big one.

How do you make a small fortune in the bicycle retail business? - Start with a large one and hire your freind to run it.

BK

JohnS
11-14-2005, 12:21 PM
I wonder how many people on this forum bought items from him? Everybody's always bragging about how cheap they bought something off of eBay for, maybe this is why.

dirtdigger88
11-14-2005, 12:25 PM
I can't believe he went 3 years, losing THAT kind of money, without investigating much sooner.

How do you make a small fortune in the bicycle retail business? - Start with a large one and hire your freind to run it.

BK

Yes- this is a sad story- but one has to ask- if the owner didnt notice anything for 3 years- should he really be in business?

Jason

MartyE
11-14-2005, 12:36 PM
Its particularly disturbing because I think we want our
LBS employees to be honest. We just don't think of
Cyclists as the kind of people who rip off their employers
(LBS) to the tune of $200K a year.
I bought some stuff from Colorado on e-bay but it
was all vintage parts thankfully.

Marty

Bill Bove
11-14-2005, 12:38 PM
I've read about this happening at the big mail order places a couple of times.

The number one reason why most bike shops aren't profitable :crap: is because they're owned and run by enthusiasts and not professionals. I know nothing about bidniz, all I do is I buy it at one price and try to sell it high enough to pay for it, the lights and maybe some red meat once a week for me. Getting ripped off by your employees sucks.

sc53
11-14-2005, 12:51 PM
"I wonder how many people on this forum bought items from him? Everybody's always bragging about how cheap they bought something off of eBay for, maybe this is why."

I thought the same thing when I read the story but all my purchases have been from legit people i hope. Their emails sounded legit at least.

Ken Robb
11-14-2005, 12:58 PM
I can understand some "shrinkage" of small parts inventory where it isn't economically feasible to keep track of each nut and bolt but how in the world can you have 50 bikes/frames come in, record sales of 10 and have 10 left and not smell a rat?

This guy should close the business and minimize his losses unless he is interested in at least reading his profit/loss statements and reconciling his inventory and balance sheets monthly if not weekly.

I think a lot of times employees start out taking a few small items for personal use because "they deserve it". When they realize the owner doesn't know or care about missing inventory they conclude that the $$ isn't important to him so the thefts escalate.

When I was managing a real estate brokerage some years ago I had a growing problem with long distance phone expenses. It was obvious that several of my agents were calling their mothers/friends, relatives every day. I made a few joking comments to the offenders in a non-accusing way that I hoped they hurried up and got their deals together with their "client" in Buena Park or wherever because the long distance charges would soon be more than the potential commissions. The calls all but ceased. I didn't mind the occasional private calls on the company but 20-30 minutes 5 times a week was a bit much.

Kevan
11-14-2005, 01:12 PM
is a four letter word.

Lost Weekend
11-14-2005, 06:32 PM
I found it odd that he spent some of his "earnings" on lingerie. I mean what kind of dude spends cash on that? Well to each his own I guess :banana:

csm
11-14-2005, 06:41 PM
Support Your Local Bicycle Store!