PDA

View Full Version : OT: Nutella theft

fiamme red
03-07-2013, 01:10 PM
Yet another reason for college administrations to raise tuition: the students are stealing all the Nutella from the dining halls. ;)

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/07/nyregion/for-columbia-students-nutella-in-a-dining-hall-may-be-too-tempting.html

“People take silverware, cups and plates, and that adds up over the course of a year to a lot of money,” he said. “With Nutella, it added up much more quickly. Where Dining might have to spend $50,000 to replace silverware and cups, they were spending thousands of dollars on Nutella in one week.”

Ms. Dunn “told me it was close to $5,000 in that first week,” he said. As for the amount of Nutella that Columbia students were consuming, or at least loading up on and walking away with, he said, “I was told it was more than 100 pounds per day.”

thwart
03-07-2013, 01:11 PM
I've heard it's really, really good on bacon.

Louis
03-07-2013, 01:17 PM
I've heard it's really, really good on bacon.

I don't think there is a single edible (or lickable) thing in the universe that is not improved by a dollop of Nutella.

54ny77
03-07-2013, 01:21 PM
i concur with that comment.

gotta love the irony of the nutella tv ads, which show a frenzied house mom looking for a "healthy alternative" to get her kids to stuff their fat faces in the morning for breakfast.

it then shows an image of her and/or the kids slathering on a few tablespoons of nutella on toast.

I don't think there is a single edible (or lickable) thing in the universe that is not improved by a dollop of Nutella.

maunahaole
03-07-2013, 01:45 PM
They will solve this mystery in a month or two when they see which students have gained 40lbs over the course of the year.

54ny77
03-07-2013, 01:51 PM
Wait till Bloomberg bans hazelnut spread.

He's really gone off the deep end of the Nut jar....

fiamme red
03-07-2013, 03:31 PM
Wait till Bloomberg bans hazelnut spread.

He's really gone off the deep end of the Nut jar....France goes after fatty snacks with 'Nutella tax' (http://bigstory.ap.org/article/france-goes-after-fatty-snacks-nutella-tax)

echappist
03-07-2013, 08:32 PM
where's thegunner when we need his comment on this? pleading the fifth or enjoying the spoils that his classmates are sharing with him?;)

thegunner
03-08-2013, 12:17 AM
where's thegunner when we need his comment on this? pleading the fifth or enjoying the spoils that his classmates are sharing with him?;)

hey man, i graduated years ago from there. they didn't have none of that fancy stuff when i was there.

(i pretty much steal nutella at work now though... hollow out a croissant, apply liberally)

Louis
03-08-2013, 01:11 AM
they didn't have none of that fancy stuff when i was there.

Yeah, yeah, and you walked to class, uphill both ways, and you liked it... ;)

fiamme red
03-08-2013, 08:19 AM
http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/03/07/missing-nutella-part-2-columbia-puts-consumption-far-below-report/

...Columbia, which had declined to comment on the Nutella situation on Wednesday, said in its statement Thursday that “the ongoing weekly cost of Nutella supply is actually less than one-tenth the purported amount originally reported on a student blog and quickly picked up by other media.”

“It is true that in the first three-four days after Nutella was recently added to the dining hall selections,” the statement said, “demand was indeed extraordinarily high.”

But the statement, first published Thursday by The Spectator, said “the actual cost was only about $2,500, and quickly went down to $450 per week for dining halls that serve some 3,600 students, seven days a week at three locations.”

The statement also said that “media attention to Nutella-gate has cut down on the amount people have been taking in recent days.”Slow news day? :p

thegunner
03-08-2013, 08:26 AM
Yeah, yeah, and you walked to class, uphill both ways, and you liked it... ;)

exactly. that is... when i actually went to class.

killacks
03-08-2013, 11:34 AM
I survived on cookies supplied by a local bakery during my freshman year of college at UC Santa Cruz. The rest of the food served in the dining hall was mostly very bad.

I would take somewhere in the neighborhood of a dozen cookies a day with me when I left the dining hall and eat them throughout the day.

My only regret is that this may have helped to increase my love of cookies to such an degree, that I may have become a real life cookie monster. :eek:

echappist
03-08-2013, 09:40 PM
hey man, i graduated years ago from there. they didn't have none of that fancy stuff when i was there.

(i pretty much steal nutella at work now though... hollow out a croissant, apply liberally)

btw, you are working with a former teammate of mine, right?

slidey
03-08-2013, 09:48 PM
Have you guys tried this (http://www.amazon.com/Trader-Joes-Speculoos-Cookie-Butter/dp/B006KK4GUO)? I'm one of those who dislikes Nutella, but I love this one!

Louis
03-08-2013, 09:51 PM
I'm one of those who dislikes Nutella

I don't believe it !!!!

That's like saying you don't like oxygen in the air you breath - IMPOSSIBLE. ;)

slidey
03-08-2013, 09:57 PM
I know my landlord dislikes the stuff as well. There's one unopened jar lying in his cupboard for around a few months now, and its twin (the two-pack from Costco) found itself in the trash with barely an inch skimmed off the top.

But yeah, try the cookie butter thingy!

I don't believe it !!!!

That's like saying you don't like oxygen in the air you breath - IMPOSSIBLE. ;)

echappist
03-08-2013, 09:58 PM
Have you guys tried this (http://www.amazon.com/Trader-Joes-Speculoos-Cookie-Butter/dp/B006KK4GUO)? I'm one of those who dislikes Nutella, but I love this one!

how did i know it was the stuff from Belgium without even clicking on the link?

i tasted it, it was good, but i'll end up 3000 kcal denser if you leave me alone with a jar, which is not unlike what happens when you leave me with a jar of nutella:eek:

slidey
03-08-2013, 10:05 PM
That's about as far as I'm willing to go as well. I never buy the stuff as I'd be running through it like it was water...hooray for reasonably possessive teammates who shop at TJ's! :banana:

i tasted it, it was good,...

kenleekenlee
03-13-2013, 01:11 PM
Nutella and beer are proof that God wants us to be happy. Cookie butter disagrees with my palate, I find it cloyingly sweet and strangely gritty.

fiamme red
03-13-2013, 01:20 PM
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/opedcolumnists/behind_columbia_nutella_nuttiness_pzLLm0lW0mE6nLNg CQ07YN

Louis
03-13-2013, 01:35 PM
Wow, that's almost as big news as Dennis Rodman hanging out with Francis I