PDA

View Full Version : Stoopid: Hub compatability question

Lewis Moon
03-07-2013, 10:57 AM
I'm presently running Mavic 601 (Shimano) hubs with an Ambrosio Shimano/Campy conversion cassette in a Campy 10sp system. It works great.
I'll need a second set of wheels soon to mount 'cross tires and was wondering: If I bought a set of the more readily available shimano hubs and mounted another Ambrosio conversion cassette, would the swap between wheels be adjustment free? What about Campy hubs? I just don't want to have to fiddle every time I swap wheels.

Basically: Can you expect Shimano compatible hubs by two different manufacturers to have the same exact distance from the dropout to the first cog?

thwart
03-07-2013, 11:30 AM
What about Campy hubs?

Why mess around if you're starting from scratch... ?

Last time I looked you could buy a set of Miche/Campy spline hubs from one of the British discount online dealers for ~ $100.

Lewis Moon
03-07-2013, 11:49 AM
Why mess around if you're starting from scratch... ?

Last time I looked you could buy a set of Miche/Campy spline hubs from one of the British discount online dealers for ~ $100.

Not really the point...I know I can get Campy hubs cheap, but will they be a zero fuss swap with my Mavics?
I love my Mavic/Sapim/Velocity wheels and would really hate to part with them. That's why I did the Ambrosio cassette work-around. I just want a set of compatible wheels I can mount 'cross tires on without having to readjust the rear derailleur every time. I figured if I stayed with Shimano compatible wheels with the Ambrosio cassette there would be less chance of the spacing being off.

keevon
03-07-2013, 11:50 AM
Basically: Can you expect Shimano compatible hubs by two different manufacturers to have the same exact distance from the dropout to the first cog?

Unfortunately, no. But you can make up the difference with super-thin cassette spacers... I think they go down to .25mm.

A few micro spacers behind whichever cassette sits furthest inboard should keep your derailleur adjustment happy. I had to do this on two Campy 10-speed hubs from different manufacturers.

Lewis Moon
03-07-2013, 11:55 AM
Unfortunately, no. But you can make up the difference with super-thin cassette spacers... I think they go down to .25mm.

A few micro spacers behind whichever cassette sits furthest inboard should keep your derailleur adjustment happy. I had to do this on two Campy 10-speed hubs from different manufacturers.

There's the answer I was looking for. I figured this might be true. Thanks!

thwart
03-07-2013, 01:56 PM
Not really the point...I know I can get Campy hubs cheap, but will they be a zero fuss swap with my Mavics?
I love my Mavic/Sapim/Velocity wheels and would really hate to part with them. That's why I did the Ambrosio cassette work-around.
Sorry, guess I missed the point.

Can't say I've ever used the Ambrosio conversion cassette, but I've used the Wheels Mfg one extensively, and also ridden quite a few miles with the American Classic one. They're close (especially the Wheels Mfg model), but not quite equal to Campy OEM performance, IMO.

So, it was a little hard to imagine anyone would want to go ahead and build a set of wheels for a Campy drivetrain... with Shimano hubs. ;)

Lewis Moon
03-07-2013, 02:47 PM
Sorry, guess I missed the point.

Can't say I've ever used the Ambrosio conversion cassette, but I've used the Wheels Mfg one extensively, and also ridden quite a few miles with the American Classic one. They're close (especially the Wheels Mfg model), but not quite equal to Campy OEM performance, IMO.

So, it was a little hard to imagine anyone would want to go ahead and build a set of wheels for a Campy drivetrain... with Shimano hubs. ;)

Let's just say, if I did it again, I'd hold out for Chorus/Record hubs rather than the Mavics. The problem is I got a smoking deal on the Mavics and built the wheels, then switched the drive train. The wheels have been very good....but I'd go Campy if I were to do it over.

....actually, I may get Campy hubs and make the Mavics my 'cross wheels. Hmmmmmm