PDA

View Full Version : Two questions for classified ad sellers

MilanoTom
03-07-2013, 07:34 AM
I've had positive experiences buying and selling in the Classifieds section, but I've got two situations for which I'd appreciate some guidance from the more experienced folks.

The first is a request to ship a frameset to Singapore. Has anyone done anything like this, and if so, is it worth attempting? Does anyone know the ballpark cost, and is any particular method of fund transfer more secure (for me)?

The second was a PM I received a couple of days ago regarding an ad I placed over three years ago. The potential buyer has no profile information (not even a location) and no postings whatsoever. Is this a scam attempt? I've heard of people cancelling PayPal transactions, so I'm wary. Any thoughts on protecting myself.

Regards and thanks,
Tom

AngryScientist
03-07-2013, 07:45 AM
for the second situation: when people google parts they are looking for, if they are reasonably obscure, it's not uncommon for our site to pop up with old classifieds ads. its reasonable to think someone signed up for an acct here just to use the PM feature to contact you or others about buying or selling something.

if the amount of money you are selling for would make you uncomfortable to use, it's always my advice to exercise some due diligence and talk with the potential buyer and get a feel for who they are and if they are going to scam you. most scammers wont put in the time it takes to make you comfortable with selling to them.

same goes for the singapore connection. probably legit, i would say if you use paypal and a credit card to fund it, you have two layers of protection. the key is to ship the frame with tracking, you have to be able to prove your frame got where you said it would to protect yourself.

no idea of the cost of these things though.

Dave B
03-07-2013, 07:46 AM
I will start off by saying do what you feel most comfortable with. If it is a pain then maybe you simply move on.

With sending things far away I always think twice, but usually do enough work to find out costs. Often times when I find out the shipping costs it comes to several hundred dollars. Often times not making it work for the buyer. You should do a much or little work as you feel comfortable with.

With a new person, if the money comes how you want it then feel free to sell it. We all begin somewhere and maybe this is just that. No money no business.

best of luck

ultraman6970
03-07-2013, 07:48 AM
The problem you have with asia is that once the box leave the US (usually via NY) you can't track the item, so will be a nightmare for you to assure to paypal or the buyer/seller or what ever that the package arrived or at least sent.

In the case of paypal, or arrived or did not arrived, no tracking system? well.. did not arrived and the guy claiming that he did not received the item will win.

If you want to send to singapure I would advice you not to do it unless is fedex or UPS, forget USPS because you wont able to track it (no idea if that changed). Japan for example is not a problem because they follow the rules and there is a cultural thing involved, they wont take what doesn't belongs to them and they will scan the item, in other countries of asia you dont have that at all. Lost one item going to singapure like 2 years ago, 1 item is too much.

That the guy has no info showing is just by choice... no way to know if scam or not.. you are the seller you can scam him but obviously if the guy comes with a weird thing like somebody going to pick up the item and giving you a check for the item value plus 500 bucks for your kindness that clearly is a scam... if the buyer is from asia and is new here... well ding dong!!! I would avoid him due to my bad experience but if the guy is from the US and has no postings doesnt mean he can't buy something. Maybe a phone call could help you? Actually you can scam him hehe

Hope this helps a tiny bit.

eddief
03-07-2013, 07:51 AM
I just shipped a frameset to a forum member in Germany. He actually lives close to Switzerland and less duty there, so he had me ship to his friend in Switz. It went by USPS international. It cost right around $80 and took about 10 days. USPS was very strict about their max box size and it was a hassle to find a bike carton, cut it down to size, and safely pack the frame. We did a normal paypal with fees payment and it all worked fine. He has bought many this way. I hated the packing part and waiting, watching USPS tracking as it took 4 days to get from Berkeley to L.A. for its flight out. This one worked out just fine. But what a hassle. Coulda been worser. According to my FedEx online account, it would have been rediculously expensive to send via FedEx.

nighthawk
03-07-2013, 08:00 AM
Speaking to your second question, When I've posted items FS in the classifieds I've commonly gotten PMs from new members (with zero posts) asking to purchase the item. I usually ignore their PMs or reply that I don't sell to new members. Not for fear of being scammed, but just because I prefer to do "business" with people that contribute positively to the forum.

FlashUNC
03-07-2013, 08:01 AM
My #1 rule on the classifieds is to not do any transaction where I'm less than 100% comfortable with who I'm dealing with.

Doesn't mean I'll avoid doing business with folks who have sparse posting histories. But as Angry mentioned, talk to folks, get to know them a little bit. You'll find some rather cool folks on the forum who are great to do business with.

I remember more than one phone chat last summer with lovebird before I took a Time VXR off his hands, not to mention emails and PMs. That helped establish a comfort level for sending him a not insubstantial amount of money for a frame (which was in immaculate condition, for the record).

You're under no obligations here to have to do business with someone just because they said "OMG I'LL BUY THAT."

oldpotatoe
03-07-2013, 08:07 AM
I've had positive experiences buying and selling in the Classifieds section, but I've got two situations for which I'd appreciate some guidance from the more experienced folks.

The first is a request to ship a frameset to Singapore. Has anyone done anything like this, and if so, is it worth attempting? Does anyone know the ballpark cost, and is any particular method of fund transfer more secure (for me)?

The second was a PM I received a couple of days ago regarding an ad I placed over three years ago. The potential buyer has no profile information (not even a location) and no postings whatsoever. Is this a scam attempt? I've heard of people cancelling PayPal transactions, so I'm wary. Any thoughts on protecting myself.

Regards and thanks,
Tom

Sending 'offshore', particularly in asia and there abouts always presents a potential problem. Sold a set of bibs to a guy in Indonesia. 2 months ago, never received, he says..so I am left either ignoring him and get the inevitable negative feedback or return his $81.

A frame to go UPS/FedEx/DHL, is expensive..air freight and ofter $300++.

Altho cheaper, I wouldn't try it USPS.

When the package(via USPS, BTW). leaves the US it becomes part of the country's postal system that is on the address label. You all can complain about the USPS, but some Asian ones are much worse. Bottom line, I will no longer send anything to Asia..Canada(ehh?), USA, Europe(done that many times) but no mas to Asia.

vav
03-07-2013, 08:08 AM
Hi Tom;

FWIW I sent a USPS Priority Mail Medium Box "the one that costs like $ 13 anywhere in US" to Singapore and it arrived safely and in a very timely manner. I read tons of reviews on shipping stuff to Singapore from here and most of them were positive. I believe they have together when it comes to postal stuff. Cost was $ 50, so a frame I would guess be in the area of 200-250. The goods that I sent I sold for around 200 bucks and I felt comfortable taking the risk. Don't know about your frame but if it worth way more than 200 I don't know if I'd do it. Good luck.

yoshirider
03-07-2013, 09:57 AM
Maybe the Singapore buyer will pay for UPS/FedEx shipping. Did you ask? I know a bunch of Singaporeans and they're all quite well off so maybe this person will just pay for it especially if you have a rare frame.

pbarry
03-07-2013, 10:08 AM
What about having a Skype conversation? Also, ebay feedback of a remote buyer is helpful.

idragen
03-07-2013, 10:29 AM
What about having a Skype conversation? Also, ebay feedback of a remote buyer is helpful.

I think asking for his ebay username if he has one is a very good idea to check his feedback to make sure he has a good history of being an honest buyer/seller.