PDA

View Full Version : Gokiso hubs - anyone see 'em at NAHBS

54ny77
03-06-2013, 05:57 PM
http://www.cyclingdirt.org/coverage/250510-North-American-Handmade-Bike-Show/article/18788-Gokiso-Hubs

Really cool technology, price aside (high). Likely an astounding amount of engineering and fabrication goes into making 'em.

Great link at Bikerumor too.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/03/05/nahbs-2013-gokisos-amazing-suspension-bicycle-hubs/

ergott
03-06-2013, 06:10 PM
What problem are they trying to solve? Don't get me wrong, I'd love to sell someone a set of $5,000 hubs (or whatever they are), but that's a load of horse-poop right there.

gavingould
03-06-2013, 06:57 PM
i watched the videos from the bikerumor link...

the Japanese are crazy, i kind of like how dedicated they are to engineering the hell out of it, but i also kind of think it's snake oil.

if someone wanted to toss me a set to review i'd be interested, but i've got a lot more to blame my poor performance on than my hubs.

jmoore
03-06-2013, 08:11 PM
Solution looking for a problem.

slidey
03-06-2013, 08:29 PM
Classic example of - "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."

MattTuck
03-06-2013, 08:35 PM
if someone wanted to toss me a set to review i'd be interested, but i've got a lot more to blame my poor performance on than my hubs.

People love to blame external factors for poor performance... it's what we do as humans. Embrace it and buy some of these hubs ;)

Classic example of - "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."

A marketing professor I work with calls this "the spandex rule", and uses this picture to illustrate the concept. I chuckle every time it comes up in class, since I know the loose background story... (He lost a 'friendly' bet)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-mBpMKx9s8Y8/UPvjmWIA4hI/AAAAAAAAJ-o/fBEtltnoqm4/s1600/lampre+guy.jpg

fuzzalow
03-06-2013, 08:43 PM
I am all for what these guys have done. I don't think there is a quantifiable advantage to using these hubs in any real sense. But c'mon you gotta admire the focus, obsession and tenacity to take a run at it and actually make the product.

I would support the makers of these hubs because I admire their endeavor to make something as uncompromising as they possibly can. This is admittedly just so many words on my part because the spirit is able but the wallet is weak.

slidey
03-06-2013, 09:16 PM
I'm curious...can you elaborate on how you would support them?

I would support the makers of these hubs because I admire their endeavor to make something as uncompromising as they possibly can.

fuzzalow
03-06-2013, 09:33 PM
I'm curious...can you elaborate on how you would support them?

I suppose I'd support them on a few fronts:

Philosophically as I believe their motives are towards conceiving, designing and fabricating a state of the art product and not to peddle junk science & snake oil

Intellectually as I am arguing in support of their product offering as valid rather than chiding them as irrelevant based on the severity of their asking price

Financially, were it possible, by buying their product. If not as a useful hub then perhaps as a token of obsessive engineering.

That covers enough ground for me on first blush.

bicycletricycle
03-06-2013, 09:43 PM
The spherical washers in the axle ends Is a great idea. The auto bearing alignment system is super cool , I am curious how much axle deflection induced bearing misalignment effects bearing drag.

54ny77
03-06-2013, 10:01 PM
Most elegantly simple and favorite idea of that hub system.

The spherical washers in the axle ends Is a great idea.

Rueda Tropical
03-07-2013, 06:31 AM
I think they are impressive bit of design and engineering but fail when price / benefit is factored in. If they could find a way to bring it to market for the price of a high end hub set I'd go for it.

ergott
03-07-2013, 06:35 AM
It's more advantageous to put the bearings as close to the dropouts at possible so there's less unsupported axle. That doesn't require any of that nonsense.

Mikej
03-07-2013, 08:29 AM
It's more advantageous to put the bearings as close to the dropouts at possible so there's less unsupported axle. That doesn't require any of that nonsense.

Yeah, I was thinking the same. Also, bearings doubled up next to each other can cause premature wear and failure.

Ahneida Ride
03-07-2013, 10:01 AM
4K frns ? Someone will buy it !

cmg
03-07-2013, 10:58 AM
and mans tireless pursuit of creating an overly complicated machine from a simple object continues.

if the company doesn't go under and actually sells a few of these things on the next generation they'll be sensors that constantly monitors the force the axle is recieving and moves the bearings to where there needed to conter react. it will be solar powered by something you were on your back or through regenitive braking, linked to your phone app. that sends the info to your home computer so you can plot.......................

Gat64
02-20-2014, 06:24 AM
Sorry to exhume this thread.... but Cycling Tips did a review of the Gosiko hubs that I thought some might be interested in:

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/02/gokiso-climber-hubs-review/

Pretty elaborate design, that's for sure.

oldpotatoe
02-20-2014, 06:31 AM
Sorry to exhume this thread.... but Cycling Tips did a review of the Gosiko hubs that I thought some might be interested in:

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/02/gokiso-climber-hubs-review/

Pretty elaborate design, that's for sure.

Oooo, they're purple..I'm with Ergott, a year ago..bicycle hubs afterall..something 1/10 the price will work as well, for as long...

300 KM/h...100,000 KM...yep, just what the entitled enthusiast needs...

Seems like they ought to invest their time in autos or aircraft...

Gat64
02-20-2014, 06:31 AM
Eesh... just went to their site and there top titanium hubset sells for 650,000 YEN, which when converted to US is $6,375.33?!? I guess aerospace design = aerospace prices.

William
02-20-2014, 07:06 AM
If you just want the bling factor and you have the coin to drop....go for it. If you are looking for some sort of speed advantage from using them....well, a years supply of testosterone (androderm)* is a lot more cost effective (and increased result) solution. http://www.goodrx.com/androderm

Just saying':p

William

*William is not a physician, and does not condone, use, suggest, approve of, push, peddle, apply, apportion, authorize, bring, contribute, deal, deliver, disburse, distribute, dole out, execute, extend, furnish, give, impose, inflict, issue, measure out, mete out, offer, perform, portion, proffer, provide, regulate, serve, supply, tender, or is otherwise sponsored by a pharmaceutical companies.

fuzzalow
02-20-2014, 07:11 AM
I respect and admire the efforts of companies like Gokiso to extend the envelope of state of the art. Seen through the prism of sheer pragmatism, these hubs have limited relevance as a functional bike component. I have no doubt even Gokiso does not delude themselves to think otherwise. But for special projects, for example Cancellara's hour record bike, if these hubs were feasible (i.e. Trek's commercial interests re: Bontrager) they would be used.

To let the asking price of these hubs red mist judgement and reaction is to miss the point of the entire endevour. Gokiso have actually made a product as best as they are capable and without compromise.

ultraman6970
02-20-2014, 07:13 AM
Nice concept, anybody get me a pair for a review :D