PDA

View Full Version : I saw Cal Trans working on the "bike path to nowhere" today

zott28
03-06-2013, 12:33 PM
So not only do you have to turn around on Treasure Island, but you get to ride thru West Oakland and right next to the Oakland waste water facility too, good smells on that ride!

Hopefully they come up with a plan to connect it to the City, but I personally do not mind BARTing to Rockridge for my East Bay cycling activities. The idea of dealing with tourist on the Bridge and then navigating W Oakland, just seems to add time and not quality to any ride.

Here's an article from last year on the subject. http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Bay-Bridge-bike-path-to-nowhere-3861380.php

cnighbor1
03-06-2013, 01:14 PM
Has you exit next ikea you can bike along the waterfront. which has a geat bike path to get you north.
but i agree the start and end of bike path not great

54ny77
03-06-2013, 01:15 PM
Cal Trans working? Or 8 supervisors standing around supervising 1 guy sweeping the dirt?

jtakeda
03-06-2013, 02:44 PM
More like the bike path to getting robbed. I wouldn't ride that path if its dark.

avalonracing
03-06-2013, 03:57 PM
Cal Trans working? Or 8 supervisors standing around supervising 1 guy sweeping the dirt?

Huh... I thought that was just what the work crews do back here on the east coast.

54ny77
03-06-2013, 04:57 PM
Funny thing, I was chatting with a pal today in PA who was friendly with one of the big I-95 contractors back in the 1950's or so. The last stretch between FL and Maine that never quite got done proper was in Philly, near the airport. Supposedly that part of town was a town dump a hundred years or so prior. Very unstable soil.

Going down there often as I do, it's fair to say that in the 60 years since initial construction was supposed to be completed, it still ain't done.

:bike:

Huh... I thought that was just what the work crews do back here on the east coast.

BrakeL8
03-07-2013, 02:03 AM
It seems to be too little too late. Sure you could the the 108 bus, that ultra ghetto bus that never shows up, but whats the point when BART provides a marginally better service and takes you where you need to go. There was a mention of running a bike shuttle from Treasure Island but I couldn't imagine that will be a pleasant experience either. The whole thing needs to be connected or not at all.

jonbek
03-07-2013, 09:59 AM
More like the bike path to getting robbed. I wouldn't ride that path if its dark.

That's kind of ridiculous. I ride through West Oak daily to get out to Orinda et al and it's never been a problem.

Not connecting to the city is dumb, but I'll take the extra mileage that the path to Treasure Island will offer when I'm doing my chill bay path recovery rides.

jtakeda
03-07-2013, 10:39 AM
I live close to the path. It's pretty sketchy down there.

blessthismess
03-07-2013, 11:11 AM
Yeah the thing that makes that area a little sketchy at night is that there is NO ONE around. Im assuming they will put in better lighting, cameras etc.

Hindmost
03-07-2013, 11:48 AM
It is a little difficult to imagine the logistics and justify the cost of a bicycle bay crossing but if you have spent time riding in the East Bay or on the SF/Marin side it is nice to dream big.