PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know the Javelin Grigio?

2wheelwill
03-05-2013, 11:11 PM
Considering a lightly used Javelin Grigio lugged carbon bike. Anyone own or know anything about these frames? Web search doesn't produce much info. Interested in ride characteristics, build quality, known problems, etc. also curious what these went for when new.

Thanks!

54ny77
03-05-2013, 11:24 PM
search weight weenies for more info on javelin.

a local team in nyc races on 'em--or at least raced on 'em.

handmade, italian, not widely known. almost bought one (a cortina) used for a screamin' deal a couple years ago, but eventually passed. new, they're very, very expensive last time i inquired (several thousand bucks +/-). might have something to do with currency issues, not sure.

really nice looking, i'll say that much. the owner i spoke with said its ride was just a great blend of stiffness & comfort.

Nags&Ducs
03-06-2013, 01:38 AM
Their high-end offerings were made in Italy by the Sarto family. The Cortina was $11k for the frameset. Had honeycomb construction. I think Sarto sold them under their own name for half that price but can't recall for sure. If you a looking at their Italian made frames, they were all made by Sarto, so they are superbly made frames.

Are they still in business?

I too was tempted to buy a Cortina on eBay that was listed at a fraction of the cost of new. IIRC, it was $2800 or so for a complete bike with record or chorus 10. Maybe 54ny77 and I were tempted by the same bike???

54ny77
03-06-2013, 01:50 AM
nags it could've been, who knows. i believe he was a local-to-nyc-area seller, bike was a 54 and a few years old or so.

the team manager i referred to is an acquaintance and is a terrific guy, and i think it was the distributor that was one of sponsors of team. he told me about javelin way back when.

yeah i was gonna say the cortina frame was like 10 grand or so, but didn't want to be quoted on that. insane. has to be currency issue, perhaps?

Nags&Ducs
03-06-2013, 07:49 AM
nags it could've been, who knows. i believe he was a local-to-nyc-area seller, bike was a 54 and a few years old or so.

the team manager i referred to is an acquaintance and is a terrific guy, and i think it was the distributor that was one of sponsors of team. he told me about javelin way back when.

yeah i was gonna say the cortina frame was like 10 grand or so, but didn't want to be quoted on that. insane. has to be currency issue, perhaps?

54ny77, the one I saw was on eBay. It was a 55 ETT so maybe a size 54??? It was such a small price to pay compared to what it would have cost new. There was another brand called Bartolli that sold the same exact frame and it too was made by Sarto. I'm a huge fan of Sarto. Seen some of their frames up close and they are really well made, with some interesting details. I think the cost of the Cortina had more to do with Javelin trying to set themselves apart with a "honeycomb" carbon construction that raised the bar to yet another level in terms of price. Marketing 101 of the higher price must equal higher quality and exclusivity. The Bartolli frame was $6k iirc.

To the OP, wrt Grigio, that name doesn't sound familiar. When I was looking at Javelin, it was 3 or 4 yrs ago and if the Grigio was in their line-up, I would most likely recognize it but I don't so it must be a newer model. If you can confirm a that it is a Sarto made frame, and it is in good condition at a decent price, I would buy it. Got pics?

FGC
03-06-2013, 01:09 PM
I've had a Javelin Primitivo for a while now. It's their CX bike. It's good. It really takes a licking.

I also just got a Javelin Boca. It's a titanium and carbon bike. It is comfy and well made. It's made in Taiwan, not in Italy. I can't swing one of the handmade Italian frames.

It also turns out that through my coaching business I sell Javelin. They still exist and are really great to deal with. They fly under the radar but make a good product with good people behind it.