PDA

View Full Version : Another stupid question!! but..there r no stupid questions!

CarlosContreros
11-13-2005, 10:38 PM
hi all!
From the "non-tech" neighborhood of Serottaville.....I need to know?...
will a "double" crankset work and function with a "triple" derailleur and
brifters...whatever??

I want to piurchase someone's groupo but it comes with 170 "triple"cranks
which are really way toooo short for me!
I would like to just use my own crankset...
I get grief as it is having a 37 inch inseam and riding 172.5's!! :confused:

Also...not much need for a "triple" considering I live in the "sunshine state"...

or "hurricane state"....just depends on what week it is!!! :crap:

thanks Y'all

Ray
11-14-2005, 05:59 AM
I've had triple front derailures shift OK on doubles and I've had other setups not work very well at all. They're rarely as crisp as a double specific derailure, but they can work. They seem best if you use a slightly longer bb spindle than is recommended for the double crank to get the two chainrings slightly outboard, which lines up better with the outer positions of the derailure. The shifters shouldn't be a problem - I've used both Ultegra and Campy triple compatible shifters with doubles without any problems.

If you can't get it dialed to your satisfaction, just adding a double front derailure is a pretty inexpensive proposition if you're not too concerned with getting super high-end stuff like DA or Record. The only advantage of high end front derailures is weight (they all function equally well until you get into really cheap stuff and even then...) and if you live in flat terrain, shouldn't be an issue at all.

-Ray

Too Tall
11-14-2005, 06:21 AM
Yep.
Use of a BB for a double is all you require.