PDA

View Full Version : OT: international package services invoice UPS

yoshirider
03-05-2013, 09:43 AM
Got this in the mail for buying something from Canada. $50 in charges and the brokerage charges cost more than duties. This is ridiculous. Do I really have to pay this?

buldogge
03-05-2013, 10:24 AM
This is why I never use UPS or FedEx for incoming international packages...they own the brokerage houses, and you always get charged.

Bummer.

-Mark in St. Louis

ultraman6970
03-05-2013, 10:56 AM
yup

yoshirider
03-05-2013, 11:07 AM
good to know. another ridiculous charge to add to their list. FedEx doesn't charge to deliver to a retail FedEx location while UPS charges $5. i've had it with this company not to mention they damaged my package. effers

oldguy00
03-05-2013, 11:43 AM
good to know. another ridiculous charge to add to their list. FedEx doesn't charge to deliver to a retail FedEx location while UPS charges $5. i've had it with this company not to mention they damaged my package. effers

At least you didn't blame 'Canada' like most folks would.... :)

Ya, couriers screen -every- international pack for their brokerage fees and associated duty and/or import tax. Same thing happens when importing stuff into Canada from any other country!

jpw
03-05-2013, 11:52 AM
These companies have perfected the art of 'added value' charging. It's a game you have to play, and by their rules, and they win, every time.

However, in defense of UPS, it did deliver my Legend frame back to Serotta yesterday and on schedule, and at no extra cost :-).

I did chuckle a little bit though at the scenic route it took. It passed through Philadelphia, Louisville KY (UPS ground zero), Windsor Locks CT, Stratford CT, back to Philadelphia (why?), then up to Latham NY, and finally on to Saratoga Springs...and in an undamaged state.

Serotta has made a quick evaluation. New one in the works.

rice rocket
03-05-2013, 12:29 PM
Got this in the mail for buying something from Canada. $50 in charges and the brokerage charges cost more than duties. This is ridiculous. Do I really have to pay this?

Technically, you can specify your own customs clearing house and deal w/ the govt in person, but that means going to whatever port of entry to do so.

It's 100% BS how it's handled.

yoshirider
03-05-2013, 12:39 PM
i read that i could've paid the duties at a port here instead of going through UPS's broker. its pretty unfair that i didn't have a choice and i didn't ask them to clear it for me. sure it's not worth my time to deal with this over $30 (broker fees), but it's the principle that's pissing me off. i'm hoping there will be a class action lawsuit against them for this crap.

David Kirk
03-05-2013, 12:48 PM
it can depend on how the package was designated by the sender in the other country.

dave

sc53
03-05-2013, 01:52 PM
Yoshi try not paying it and see what happens. Years ago, FedEx did the same to me (coming from Canada, nearly $100 in fees) and I never paid and I never heard another thing about it. Maybe I am bound for arrest if I enter Canada!

jpw
03-05-2013, 02:09 PM
Yoshi try not paying it and see what happens. Years ago, FedEx did the same to me (coming from Canada, nearly $100 in fees) and I never paid and I never heard another thing about it. Maybe I am bound for arrest if I enter Canada!

Did you get service from FedEx at your address after that?

sc53
03-05-2013, 02:11 PM
Yes, I get regular FedEx deliveries at my address. Maybe my nonpayment slipped through the cracks.

yoshirider
03-05-2013, 03:39 PM
darn it i already paid for it. i did ask the UPS rep what happens if i don't pay it and she said it gets invoiced again and then eventually goes to a collection agency.

veggieburger
03-05-2013, 06:42 PM
It will go to collections if it is above XX amount. A small 30 or 40$ charge is generally ignored.

USPS and CDA Post between the two nations, always!

Black Dog
03-05-2013, 07:56 PM
I have been hit by this charge from UPS bringing stuff into Canada from the States. If you use a different (more expensive) service from them they do not charge the brokerage fee. It will cost you a bit more to ship but you save the ridiculous fee. The best way to ship is by USPS to Canada or Canada post to the US.

yoshirider
03-05-2013, 09:21 PM
I feel bad for you Canadians. Everything gets hit with duties? This is the first time I've been hit by the tariff and I had no choice on the shipping method so just my luck

Anarchist
03-06-2013, 08:54 AM
I feel bad for you Canadians. Everything gets hit with duties? This is the first time I've been hit by the tariff and I had no choice on the shipping method so just my luck

This is not Duties that will theoretically get remitted to the government, this is a "brokerage" charge that UPS and FedEx apply to any package crossing the border and is pure profit to the courier company.

It's a bogus charge that does nothing but add to profit. It's why you see Canadians saying to use USPS, they don't get hit with these charges.

oldguy00
03-06-2013, 09:09 AM

Not everything.
There are three possible charges on most packs entering Canada:
1. Brokerage fees - this is only if you used a courier like UPS or FEDEX. Pretty much just an extra handling fee. Like the other guy said, it is why most of us Canadians will ask folks to use regular USPS when sending goods to us.

2. Duty - this is charged only on certain types of items. Clothing is a good example. You can be charged 20% or more, depending on where the clothing is actually manufactured.

3. Regular tax - basically an import tax equivalent to the province's sales tax. If your pack is over a certain amount (I think $40?) in value, and if customs does inspect it (some get through scott free...), they will impose the sales tax on the declared value.

In short.....about half the packs I get from probikekit I pay nothing, they don't get flagged through customs and they just land in my mailbox. The other half, I usually pay the 15% sales/import tax. I rarely seem to get tagged with duty, even on some of the clothing items I've ordered....

veggieburger
03-06-2013, 09:51 AM
Greyhound isn't bad either, btw...it's slow and you need to pack the crap out of your stuff, but it's cheap and works just fine.