PDA

View Full Version : Brooks Pro question

PCR
03-04-2013, 11:45 PM
Wondering if anyone here uses a Brooks Pro? I use a Brooks B17 on my Gunner Sport (fantastic saddle). I'm building up a Cannondale CAAD9 and am thinking of going with a Brooks Pro. I'd enjoy hearing your thoughts on the Pro.
Thanks!

Llewellyn
03-05-2013, 12:15 AM
I assume you're talking about the Team Pro? I tried one for about 2,000km and couldn't break it in. Gave up and sold it, got an Aliante......nice and comfy :)

dave thompson
03-05-2013, 12:36 AM
I have the Pro on 2 bikes and love them! Good fom the start, no 'break-in' needed.

I Want Sachs?
03-05-2013, 02:17 AM
If the Brooks B17 works, would stick with it. Team Pro has longer durability, but the B17 is plenty long. Weight is similar, so why risk the shape difference?

Gat64
03-05-2013, 05:43 AM
I have two Team Pros (actually, both are the Alpe d'Huez versions) and they are great. One did not need any break-in, but the other needed quite a bit. I think there are variations in the leather used - you never know what you are going to get I guess.

jr59
03-05-2013, 05:57 AM
Why change from the B17?

Alan
03-05-2013, 06:03 AM
Have you looked at the Berthoud saddles? I am very happy with mine and much better construction than the Brooks. See:

http://www.wallbike.com/brand/berthoud

I have the race model as I like a narrow saddle but there are both wide and narrow models. I really like the leather and construction. The rails are still a bit short but I got by with a regular seat post.

Alan

pinkshogun
03-05-2013, 06:22 AM
i use a B17. i tried a Pro but its narrowness did not agree with me. B17 has the right amount of butt-support.

Berthoud saddles new are rock hard. i could not even ride (suffer) to break it in.
narrow like a Pro. B17 4 eva......butt i do hear good things about Rivet saddles

PCR
03-05-2013, 07:16 AM
If the Brooks B17 works, would stick with it. Team Pro has longer durability, but the B17 is plenty long. Weight is similar, so why risk the shape difference?

That's something I was trying to figure out from the Brooks website. Besides length & width, do the two vary in shape? One flatter or one more domed?
I read that a narrower saddle may be a benefit if you bars are bit lower than the saddle. If this is hype, heck I'm happy to stay with the B-17. I've an unused B-17 Special just dying to be ridden.
Thanks for all the comments guys!

Rada
03-05-2013, 09:06 AM
I currently am using a Brooks Team Pro, Swift, and a Swallow on one or another of my bikes. The Swift is probably my favourite of the three, closely followed by the Pro. The B17 is a little too wide for me. The Pro is worth a check see, but nothing at all wrong with sticking to what you already like and works for you.

sg8357
03-05-2013, 05:06 PM
Buy the Pro from Wallingford, they have a 6 month return policy.
You can return the Pro and get a '17.

I ride B-17s and Pro's, I like both.

Pars
03-05-2013, 05:24 PM
I've ridden the same '73 Pro since... '73. They don't form indentations in my experience. It is comfy, but hard. As I get old(er), maybe too hard, but I'm sticking with it.

Frankwurst
03-05-2013, 06:50 PM
If you're happy with a B17 stick with it. But I'm of the mindset if something works why change. Personally I like B17's and I've had more than one of each. Try a Pro. The search for the Holy Grail of saddles is not unlike the same search for any and everything else bicycle related. :beer:

SpokeValley
03-05-2013, 07:04 PM
I really liked the way my Team Pro Copper looked on my bike...magnificent...such craftsmanship... but even with proofide I just couldn't get used to it. The surface was also very smooth and I tended to slip forward more than I liked and couldn't cure it with adjustments. It lives with another person now. It's a hard saddle, no doubt.

OtayBW
03-05-2013, 08:07 PM
The two Brooksies that I had way back when were like ANVILS. Could not break them in worth a spit. I'll stick with my Selle Carbonio Flow little pancake of a saddle - the last saddle I'll ever buy.

I Want Sachs?
03-05-2013, 08:31 PM
That's something I was trying to figure out from the Brooks website. Besides length & width, do the two vary in shape? One flatter or one more domed?
I read that a narrower saddle may be a benefit if you bars are bit lower than the saddle. If this is hype, heck I'm happy to stay with the B-17. I've an unused B-17 Special just dying to be ridden.
Thanks for all the comments guys!
The shape of Team Pro is different from B17. I tried both and definitely can feel the difference. If you want something narrower than the B17, there is a B17N, although it only comes in steel rail, not titanium version if that matters to you.

Ken Robb
03-05-2013, 09:22 PM
I have a Team Pro and several B-17 saddles. I find it a bit surprising that they are pretty much equally comfy for me. I think this is because the shapes are similar even though a B-17 is wider. The middle of each saddle fits me well, spreading the load of my butt over a pretty wide area with no high pressure "hot spots". The Team Pro is on a bike with a slightly more aggressive riding position so that may be why I don't notice the reduced width.

PCR
03-05-2013, 11:33 PM
The shape of Team Pro is different from B17. I tried both and definitely can feel the difference. If you want something narrower than the B17, there is a B17N, although it only comes in steel rail, not titanium version if that matters to you.

Good idea (B-17N). I did happen to see the Brooks Swallow; very nice ($$$).
I'll measure the "sit bone" marks on my current B-17 to see what size/width I can go with.

dekindy
03-06-2013, 03:35 PM
I am interested in this topic and hope there are more replies.

Wondering if I go to an LBS and have them put one on my bike to try in store on the trainer, would this initial impression give me any insight as to whether a Brooks would be to my liking? I have seen many folks say that they were good right out of the box. So if it feels like that in the store does that mean it is so? If it feels hard when I test it at the store, is there any way to determine if I will eventually like it?

I don't know if I would be willing to tolerate a saddle that takes me months to get comfortable on. I assume since it is slick it will not cause saddle sores; is this correct? Is it mainly just aching bottom that is part of the break-in?

sevencyclist
03-06-2013, 04:14 PM
Nothing is perfect, but I find Brooks B17 to be most comfortable for me, especially if I am trying to ride without shorts pads. So on commuter, B17 is my preferred choice. Currently trying out a Berthoud Mente for commuting.

I keep on trying various plastic and leather saddles hoping to shed some weight for MTB and roadbike, but have not been able to find any that has supersede the B17 yet. The two closest ones to being tolerable are Berthoud Aravis and Fiziks Vesta.

Good luck with your search.

jr59
03-06-2013, 04:16 PM

Wondering if I go to an LBS and have them put one on my bike to try in store on the trainer, would this initial impression give me any insight as to whether a Brooks would be to my liking? I have seen many folks say that they were good right out of the box. So if it feels like that in the store does that mean it is so? If it feels hard when I test it at the store, is there any way to determine if I will eventually like it?

I don't know if I would be willing to tolerate a saddle that takes me months to get comfortable on. I assume since it is slick it will not cause saddle sores; is this correct? Is it mainly just aching bottom that is part of the break-in?

Try buying one from Wall bike they have a good return policy;

http://www.wallbike.com/warranty-and-other-information

pinkshogun
03-06-2013, 04:49 PM
ive found that the B17 Imperial and the B17 aged are 'out of the box' comfortable.

dekindy
03-06-2013, 04:53 PM
Try buying one from Wall bike they have a good return policy;

http://www.wallbike.com/warranty-and-other-information

Am aware of that but thanks. Willing to pay a premium if obvious shortcomings lack insufficient rail length can be determined, if sitting on it would cause me to not even want to purchase it, can be identified. Local advice which at my initial encounter was highly positive and a large local inventory commitment so that I can actually see and touch the product with my own eyes and hands are factors also. Just holding them they seem extremely hard!:eek: but can also get a feel for the slickness of the leather.

dekindy
03-06-2013, 04:54 PM
ive found that the B17 Imperial and the B17 aged are 'out of the box' comfortable.

Any other models tried?

etu
03-06-2013, 09:46 PM

for a little over a $100, you can get a piece of equipment that can have a huge benefit for your riding. i took the plunge several years back, and now ALL my bikes have a brooks saddle. hard to imagine how i was able to ride on anything else. for the potential benefit, it's a relatively small risk as far as bike upgrades go. you could do a lot worse, e.g. ceramic bearings - not that there is anything wrong with those...;)

oldpotatoe
03-07-2013, 07:38 AM

In spite of some of the other posters, like right above, a Brooks won't automatically work for you. There seems to be no middle ground on these. Love or..not.

Gotta get one, make sure your bike fit is proper and ride to see. Some 'may' be comfy out of the box but in general, they do need 'breaking in', develop to your anatomy.

I tried Brooks 3 times. Ti Swallow, B-17 and Team Pro and sorry, I couldn't do it. They are beautiful, the Honey Team Pro on a Stainless red Waterford , gorgeous BUT they sure didn't work for me, none of them so...

YMMV. If they don't work, you can sell them in about 10 minutes tho.

echelon_john
03-07-2013, 07:57 AM
What he said. Buy it for a good price, ride it for a few weeks; by then you'll know if it works or not. If not, sell it for 80-90% of what you paid for it, and call it a $30-$40 experiment.

I had a B17 on a touring bike that was comfortable, but I couldn't resolve in my mind why you'd have a saddle that's vulnerable to wet weather on a touring bike.

The other issue, as pointed out above, is rail length. Most folks who prefer their saddle far back on the rails find that they can't get the Brooks back far enough. This is true for the Team Pro & B17; I think the Swift has longer rails.

sparky33
03-07-2013, 08:11 AM
The Berthoud Aspin/Aravis saddle is splits the difference between a Brooks Pro and a B17, IMO. Really nice saddle.

Brooks Pro is a great for long days in the saddle, not sure how, but it is.

dekindy
03-07-2013, 10:01 AM
The Berthoud Aspin/Aravis saddle is splits the difference between a Brooks Pro and a B17, IMO. Really nice saddle.

Brooks Pro is a great for long days in the saddle, not sure how, but it is.

Your Berthoud suggestion sent me on a research of this saddle. I found a review here:
http://www.randorichard.com/hints-helps/saddles

This brought back memories of reading his Scratch Pro review(8.5 out of 10 and his highest rating) and my trying and liking the Scratch Pro. I believe he has added to the saddle reviews subsequent to that since I viewed a couple of years ago.

The Berthoud Aravis is the only saddle he has rated higher than the Scratch Pro and would have rated it a 10 if not for the leather being vulnerable to the elements(read reviews that indicate the waterproof claims are valid) and weight which at 150 grams differential. The latter is laughabe criticism to me but since the weight weenie mentality is everywhere had to be noted.

Now, do I try the Aravis or stick with the Scratch Pro that is not really causing me any problems. 8.5 versus 9 is not that much of a difference. Can I justify the expense by claiming that his rating system is exponential opposed to linear?:eek: If not for his review and finding the Scratch Pro at 75% off on closeout I would have probably not tried the Scratch Pro and would still be contently riding the Aliante. I might be able to reap most of the cost by selling all my other saddles since they are all in great shape.

sparky33
03-07-2013, 10:35 AM
I had never heard of the Scratch Pro, but the shape reminds me of the Fizik Aliante.

The Fizik Aliante is my favorite 'plastic' saddle. I find it comfortable for all but the longest rides...for a brevet length 300k+ event, somehow the hard leather Pro becomes infinitely comfortable.

take this with a grain of salt as saddle fit is non-transferable.

sparky33
03-07-2013, 10:37 AM
I had never heard of the Scratch Pro, but the shape reminds me of the Fizik Aliante.

Oh, I guess that your reviewer makes the same relationship too.

IFRider
03-07-2013, 01:32 PM
Fell for the Rivendell propaganda regarding Brooks and ordered from Wallbike to try. Riv spoke to the b-17 for more upright position as they promote. I immediately found them to be more comfortable and ordered for all my road bikes. Well, the B-17 rails were a little short for my Paramount (likely the seatpost) and it did not seem to sit far enough back. I transferred that saddle to my mountain bike (Rigid IF Deluxe) and it felt great although it did not last as it was wider than my previous saddle and felt like it got in the way when riding technical single track (noticeable sliding back on the seat when descending). Last summer I picked up a tandem that had a Brooks Professional on it. I popped the B-17 on and took the Professional and put it on the mountain bike and found near perfection. The size and shape were perfect for offroad and lower handle bars. I am a little nervous for riding off road in the wet so I will likely pickup another post for a wet weather saddle. Long story, but the shape defiantly matters for anatomy, bike setup and use. I found Wallbike great to deal with, far better than local as Brooks was a novelty to most shops in the area at that time.

Warren

dekindy
03-12-2013, 04:26 PM
I am considering becoming a first time leather saddle owner. Looking at a Team Pro, Gilles Berthoud, and Rivet is a new company that I just discovered in the last few days and seems to have their act together.