PDA

View Full Version : Custom Wheel Builders - Recommendations please

Tony T
03-04-2013, 08:54 PM
Still looking for a new set of wheels. Considering a Custom Wheel Builders.
Any and all recommendations appreciated :)

kramnnim
03-04-2013, 09:02 PM
http://www.apogeewheels.com/

Peter B
03-04-2013, 09:13 PM
Your best choice is at the top of this page.

Jack Brunk
03-04-2013, 09:14 PM
your best choice is at the top of this page.

++100

Tony T
03-04-2013, 09:16 PM
Your best choice is at the top of this page.

Thanks. I'm "conditioned" to not seeing banner ads, so I missed it. I'll check it out.

joosttx
03-04-2013, 09:17 PM
Dave Thomas speed dreams. Sub 1400g wheels, two D2R2, thousands and thousand of miles, been trued only twice. Once after a broken canti broke a spoke. Don't know how he does it.

AngryScientist
03-04-2013, 09:20 PM
you've got a recommendation from Peter B. and Jack B.

these two guys are riders. like a million miles/annually riders.

i'll tell you ergott wheels are great myself, but hearing it from those two holds a lot more weight.

Tony T
03-04-2013, 09:20 PM
++100

They're not too far from me. (On a clear day, I can them over the Sound... Well, not really, they're So. Shore ;)).

vqdriver
03-04-2013, 09:52 PM
on a related note, what ever happened to joe young?
he was all the rage when i first joined the forum, but haven't heard a lot about him in recent memory.

MattTuck
03-04-2013, 09:56 PM
he was all the rage when i first joined the forum, but haven't heard a lot about him in recent memory.

I am not sure anything happened to him, so much as other wheel builders have done a good job building their own brands. I can think of probably 4 or 5 wheel builders off the top of my head...

Tony
03-04-2013, 10:01 PM
Dave Thomas speed dreams. Sub 1400g wheels, two D2R2, thousands and thousand of miles, been trued only twice. Once after a broken canti broke a spoke. Don't know how he does it.

I agree, Dave does an excellent job. I've had five wheel sets done by him, all were perfect....still have three sets after ten years and still perfect.
I recently had a wheel done by a different builder only because the build was free due to purchasing all the parts from them. I ended up sending it back as i was not happy with the build. They redid the build and did a great job.

http://speeddream.com/

Tony

Jack Brunk
03-04-2013, 11:30 PM
They're not too far from me. (On a clear day, I can them over the Sound... Well, not really, they're So. Shore ;)).

Tony,

You asked about a wheel builder, Not sure where you are so forgive me with the sound thing, Ergott will build build you a set of wheels that will give you exactly what your looking for. It's not that hard. There's a bunch of dudes that build great wheels I've heard, I can't say because I haven't ridden them.
Your quote well it's not performance enhancing too me. HA HA.

mcteague
03-05-2013, 06:39 AM

Just got a new set from him, my 2nd. The first pair are about 5 years old and have never needed the touch of a spoke wrench.

Tim

godfrey1112000
03-05-2013, 06:45 AM

http://youngwheels.com/

Joe will help you build what you want and get them to you fast,

My pair is 5 years always true, built in 2008, run between 12-13k miles a year on them, Replaced the rims only last year, after about 47k in 3.5 years

good luck

znfdl
03-05-2013, 07:32 AM
The wheel builders that I have used in the past with postitive results:

Ergott - Eric Gottesman
Ligero (Fairwheel Bikes) - Troy Watson
Young Wheels, Joe Young

All three people are top notch wheel builders. I would talk to each person and then see what they suggest for a solution based on your requirements.

Then decide who you want to work with for your wheels.

mcteague
03-05-2013, 07:34 AM
The wheel builders that I have used in the past with postitive results:

Ergott - Eric Gottesman
Ligero (Fairwheel Bikes) - Troy Watson
Young Wheels, Joe Young

All three people are top notch wheel builders. I would talk to each person and then see what they suggest for a solution based on your requirements.

Then decide who you want to work with for your wheels.

And don't forget forum member, oldpotatoe (http://forums.thepaceline.net/search.php?searchid=1346974).
http://www.vecchios.com/

Tim

oldpotatoe
03-05-2013, 07:39 AM

Many really good custom wheelbuilders around, maybe even one close to you. Ya know, some grumpy old fart in a dusty bike shop back room who has building wheels for decades. Look around.

Come with your specifics, like gross weight and if you are a 'heavy' or 'light' rider in terms of technique. What you want the wheels to do for you, fuctionally. Have reaistic expectations. A good wheelbuilder won't design a stoopid light wheel if he thinks it may be unreliable(your arse and his rep on the line) nor a very heavy wheelset if you and your riding doesn't dictate that(sometimes it does..like a wheelset for a 350 pound rider or riders(tandem).

Tony T
03-05-2013, 07:42 AM
Lot's of good info, thanks guys!

znfdl
03-05-2013, 07:48 AM
And don't forget forum member, oldpotatoe (http://forums.thepaceline.net/search.php?searchid=1346974).
http://www.vecchios.com/

Tim

I have never had the pleasure of oldpotatoe build me a set of wheels.

William
03-05-2013, 07:58 AM

I've had Dave Thomas build me a couple sets that have been Clydesdale bomb proof! I also know quite a few folks who have had great results with builds from Ergott.

William

veloduffer
03-05-2013, 08:37 AM
I have wheels built by Eric Ergott, Joe Young and Pete/Old Potatoe. All have been well built and stayed true for many, many miles. I have even used my wheels offroad when I take my cross bike on singletrack.

You need to tell your builder what you want (everyday, climbing, touring, gravel, offroad), how much you weigh and if you are hard or easy on equipment.

In general, the cost will be about the same amongst the builders. The build will be better than most factory wheels, cheaper and weigh less.

93legendti
03-05-2013, 09:26 AM
In addition, Jeremy Maxwell builds great wheels

tv_vt
03-05-2013, 10:11 AM
Not intending to knock any of those already mentioned, but here are two more for you to consider:

RT Wheelcraft in Texas
Wheelbuilder.com in California

Both have built me up outstanding wheelsets.

Bob Ross
03-05-2013, 10:19 AM

I came into this thread to suggest Joe Young.

He built a set of DT Swiss clinchers for me ~4 years ago. Wonderful wheels. Wouldn't hesitate to use Joe again...but to be honest, I haven't communicated w/ Joe since then, and agree that his name doesn't seem to get mentioned as much as it used to.

slidey
03-05-2013, 11:14 AM
As much as I'd like to try the wheelbuilders on here, I'm a stone's throw away from John Jones (http://jonesprecisionwheels.com/jpw/). He's a master wheelbuilder and most of us here swear by his craftsmanship.

rePhil
03-05-2013, 11:21 AM
I have a pair of Excellence / Record hubs that Peter @ Vecchio's built for me a long time ago. Great wheels (never touched them other to grease the bearings) & great experience.

559Rando
03-05-2013, 11:46 AM
I’ve had wheels from Anthony at Longleaf and they’re great. His prices are also very good.
Don’t rule out your LBS, they might be good.
I watched a Vimeo (by Tom Ritchey’s son, Jay) on Rich Leznik (Hands on Wheels) and I wouldn’t hesitate hiring him, either.

sparky33
03-05-2013, 11:53 AM
Psimet.
Pretty happy with a recent order from Psimet. Rob gave some helpful advice and was easy to work with. His pricing was excellent.
The wheels arrive tomorrow... the word on the street is that his wheels are round, so I expect that will be the case tomorrow.

LegendRider
03-05-2013, 12:17 PM
I'd use Oldpotatoe or Ergott simply because they both are very generous with their time and knowledge on the forum.

shovelhd
03-05-2013, 01:28 PM
Psimet.
Pretty happy with a recent order from Psimet.

http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l453/shovelfl/bike/IMG_1384.jpg

uncrx2003
03-05-2013, 01:30 PM
zen cyclery built my last set

shovelhd
03-05-2013, 01:31 PM
On a similar note, I have a set of Zipp 404 tubulars that need truing. I could do it myself but I'd rather have a pro do it. I'm about 2 hours west of Boston and will travel if needed. Recommendations appreciated. I am looking for someone with experience building carbon wheels with aero spokes. Should be a no-brainer but I want to be sure.

FlashUNC
03-05-2013, 01:34 PM
On a similar note, I have a set of Zipp 404 tubulars that need truing. I could do it myself but I'd rather have a pro do it. I'm about 2 hours west of Boston and will travel if needed. Recommendations appreciated. I am looking for someone with experience building carbon wheels with aero spokes. Should be a no-brainer but I want to be sure.

Isn't Justin Spinelli in your neck of the woods? Not sure if he's doing maintenance work, but might be worth shooting him an email.

shovelhd
03-05-2013, 01:34 PM
I don't know that name. If you have his contact info, shoot me a PM. Thanks.

joep2517
03-05-2013, 02:08 PM
I don't know that name. If you have his contact info, shoot me a PM. Thanks.

Here is Justin's website: http://luxewheelworks.com/

He built me a pair of H Plus Sons. Great guy to work with.

bigreen505
03-05-2013, 03:19 PM
Old Potatoe/Vecchios

Ahneida Ride
03-05-2013, 04:42 PM
Ergott has been around here forever .... never a complaint.

Rick Trainer at Mountain Cycology Ludlow Vermont built mine

rnhood
03-05-2013, 05:00 PM
Although I don't plan on getting off my DA wheels, I must say some of those wheels on Justin Spinelli's website are really nice looking. A talented builder.

soulspinner
03-06-2013, 04:38 AM
I'd use Oldpotatoe or Ergott simply because they both are very generous with their time and knowledge on the forum.

Bam. This:hello: