PDA

View Full Version : Saddle adjustment Question

TT Tandem
03-04-2013, 05:16 PM
Does anyone ever adjust their saddle by turning it to the right or the left? Before I go this direction I would like to hear some opinions.
Thanks!

ultraman6970
03-04-2013, 06:15 PM
Knew a guy years ago that for some reason was using the saddle like 1 or 2 degrees to the left. Saw an old dude like a year ago with the saddle adjusted to the right like 5 or 7 degrees, that is a lot IMO. Since his shorts were lycra but fit lose like wet wool swim suit I assume the guy had the stuff hanging like Christmas tree stuff so probably he was doing it because he "charged" to one side big time, clearly the bibs were not helping either but well...

A guy that trained with me used it tiny to the left because one of his legs was shorter so he was compensating the difference that way.

dustyrider
03-04-2013, 06:15 PM
I'm confused.
If you're looking down at the saddle, with front tire in front, and you move saddle left or right, I can't imagine how that'd be helpful. Now if the bike was hanging from a rim and you moved the saddle left and right that could be helpful, but what you're really doing is moving the saddle's nose up or down. Of course if your Looking at the bike from the side and you're moving the saddle left and right that could be helpful, but what you're really doing is moving the saddle forward or back on the rails.

Need more input!

TT Tandem
03-04-2013, 06:21 PM
I am talking about when looking down on the saddle it would be turned either right or left.

dustyrider
03-04-2013, 06:27 PM
So the saddle's nose is pointing either to the right or the left of the top tube.
I suppose the scenario ultraman is talking about would make the adjust feasible, but I'd think your sit bones would suffer some.
Why not just twist the saddle a little in the direction you're thinking and go for a ride to see?
Bring appropriate tool, if required, to make smal changes till you're happy.

MattTuck
03-04-2013, 07:14 PM
I was getting chaffing and irritation on one side, and then realized when looking at my bike one day that my saddle was twisted enough to be obvious when looking down the top tube from the front... don't know how long it was like that, or how it happened.

Straightened it out and stuff seemed to resolve.

My advice would be that twisting your saddle should be your last course of action.

dnades
03-04-2013, 07:35 PM
I read about this also and attempted it to see what the result would be. I did not move the nose much off the centerline but it wasn't a positive experience. Saddle is back on centerline.

luck with it.

2LeftCleats
03-04-2013, 09:08 PM
I've had one-sided pressure pain in the groin and pointing the saddle very slightly to one side seemed to help some. But turns out the painful side is slightly shorter than the other and putting a shim in the short side cleat helped more.

dekindy
03-05-2013, 03:36 AM
I cannot cite specifics, but have seen more than one credible source indicating that adjusting your seat 1 to 2 degrees off center may result in a more comfortable position.

alancw3
03-05-2013, 05:13 AM
if i remember correctly it was john cobb (cobb saddles) who advocated a 1 to 2 degree off center positioning, either left or right, of the saddle depending on which way your "boys" naturally hung for saddle comfort. there has been at least one thread here that had an in depth discussion of his uniquely designed saddles and positioning. i think the V-flow and Max were a couple of his models.

http://cobbcycling.com/