PDA

View Full Version : Some advice on Campy Shifters with Shimano Wheels/hub

Not the Slowest
03-04-2013, 03:19 PM
I now have a bike that has a combination of Campy Shifters, FD, RD and uses a Shimano Rear wheel with the Wheels manufacturing Cassette and all is fine in the shifting etc.

I do own several other bikes and prefer to keep my herd alike with Shimano hubs, so getting campy wheels or changing the hub is not todays answer.

Recently I came across a Jtek Shiftmate device that a friend never used and I figured that by using it I would use the more affordable Ultegra 10 cassettes saving half of the cost of the Wheels Mfg cassette.

I have heard good things on the JTEK device, has anyone had any issues or advise setting it up?

Thanks all.

Rob

vqdriver
03-04-2013, 03:23 PM
no issues. works as advertised.
kinda tricky getting the cable wrap crossover pulley thing at first. but once you do it and see for yourself the way it's designed to be, no problems.
only bit of advice is that it takes far more cable than i anticipated at first. it took every bit of a new cable uncut.

45K10
03-04-2013, 03:37 PM
I now have a bike that has a combination of Campy Shifters, FD, RD and uses a Shimano Rear wheel with the Wheels manufacturing Cassette and all is fine in the shifting etc.

I do own several other bikes and prefer to keep my herd alike with Shimano hubs, so getting campy wheels or changing the hub is not todays answer.

Recently I came across a Jtek Shiftmate device that a friend never used and I figured that by using it I would use the more affordable Ultegra 10 cassettes saving half of the cost of the Wheels Mfg cassette.

I have heard good things on the JTEK device, has anyone had any issues or advise setting it up?

Thanks all.

Rob
I'm curious, are you running an 11 speed cassette or 10 speed?

Not the Slowest
03-04-2013, 03:44 PM
Running 10 Speed and really have no plan to move to 11 at this time.
Heck, I have 2 9 speeds and a 3 x 7 down tube commuter/tourer that gets the most use.

45K10
03-04-2013, 03:49 PM
Running 10 Speed and really have no plan to move to 11 at this time.
Heck, I have 2 9 speeds and a 3 x 7 down tube commuter/tourer that gets the most use.

Have you tried running the ultegra cassette without the J-Tek? I have two bikes setup with campy 10sp shifters and RD w/ultegra 10 speed cassettes and the shift fine for me.

Not the Slowest
03-04-2013, 03:56 PM
I did a ton of research on this topic and so you ask why am I asking the same thing that everyone else has.
Ummmm, maybe I lack confidence or guts.

I read that the Simano 10 will or can work on this set-up but the opinions were that it may be a bit loud at times. My gues is that meant at certain cogs the shift was right on and at other gears it was a tad off. Based on that I was going to through the Shimano 10 cassette on a wheel for my trainer as I figured how bad can it get. In the mean time I inherited the Jtek.

Ken Robb
03-04-2013, 04:01 PM
when I ran a mixed group of Shimano/Campy the shifting seemed ok in the middle of the cassette but the noise and presumably wear increased as the chain moved to the outer cogs.

Not the Slowest
03-04-2013, 04:05 PM
when I ran a mixed group of Shimano/Campy the shifting seemed ok in the middle of the cassette but the noise and presumably wear increased as the chain moved to the outer cogs.
That's the reality of the spacing differential.

vav
03-04-2013, 04:33 PM
Hi there Rob;

I asked the same question not long ago and according to Old Potato and others, a 9 speed Shimano cassette works very well. Jtek # 1 I think is the one you need. Definitely cheaper than the Wheels Manuf cassettes.

Edit: found thread: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=122821&highlight=shiftmate

Thanks all.

Rob

sam.g
03-04-2013, 04:40 PM
Last spring I converted to Campy shifting on an otherwise all Shimano 9 speed triple. My 9 speed Shimano shifters were wearing out and I really liked the feel and functionality of Campy shifters, but didn't want the expense of changing over the wheels, cassettes and derailleurs to Campy.

I purchased a set of used 10 speed Campy Ultra shifters on the bay to mate with the Shimano 9 speed triple drive train and cassette using the Jtek model #2 ShiftMate. My LBS did all the work and also changed out the cables for the correct Campy cables, it shifts perfectly! in fact I think that it shifts as smooth and precise as all Shimano when new.

Please note that I'm running 9 speed not 10, but I believe that your results will be similar. You'll need the ShiftMate model #1 for mating 10 speed Campy shifters and derailures to a 10 speed Shimano cassette and new Campy cables.

Best of luck,

Sam in Cincy

45K10
03-04-2013, 04:58 PM
Cool deal, I hope you get it dialed in just right.

Not the Slowest
03-04-2013, 05:08 PM
This all seems like a good support of the device.
I already have a few 10 cassettes now so I'll just keep this 10 with 10,

Thanks all

Last spring I converted to Campy shifting on an otherwise all Shimano 9 speed triple. My 9 speed Shimano shifters were wearing out and I really liked the feel and functionality of Campy shifters, but didn't want the expense of changing over the wheels, cassettes and derailleurs to Campy.

I purchased a set of used 10 speed Campy Ultra shifters on the bay to mate with the Shimano 9 speed triple drive train and cassette using the Jtek model #2 ShiftMate. My LBS did all the work and also changed out the cables for the correct Campy cables, it shifts perfectly! in fact I think that it shifts as smooth and precise as all Shimano when new.

Please note that I'm running 9 speed not 10, but I believe that your results will be similar. You'll need the ShiftMate model #1 for mating 10 speed Campy shifters and derailures to a 10 speed Shimano cassette and new Campy cables.

Best of luck,

Sam in Cincy

carpediemracing
03-04-2013, 05:30 PM
I use Campy 10s shifters with an otherwise stock Shimano 9s rear derailleur and wheel.

This is on our tandem so the cables are a bit long.

I don't use an adapter of any kind. I just mount the cable on the wrong side of the anchor bolt.

Works really well.

wombatspeed
03-04-2013, 05:54 PM
I have a few different variations that i have been running for a good number of miles and years

1) The cheapest option: Ergos 10 speed with all 9 speed shimano (RD, cassette). Just hubbub the cable (http://www.hubbubcustom.com/articles_ergopower.html). Excellent, reliable shifting on tandems, muddy cx bikes, road bikes, etc. As good as full 9 speed Ultegra, full 10 Speed Centaur. You have to get the clamp angle just right. If it doesn't work perfectly at first try to tweak the clamp angle ever so slightly.

2) 10 speed ergos with 10 speed Shimano cassette and RD. use the appropriate ShiftMate and all is perfect.

3) 10 speed ergos with 10 speed Shimano cassette and Campy RD. use the appropriate ShiftMate and all is perfect.

4) 10 speed ergos with all 8 speed shimano (cassette, RD) and clamp cable in standard style.

Since you wanted to stick with 10 speed cassettes the ShiftMate options are your friends...

For reference: Other than the above bastardized drive trains I have been running all Campy 10 Speed road bikes and SRAM 9 speed MTB set ups. options 1 - 4 above shift as well as these. Just be careful when installing Campny derailleur cables (in case you got the latest hood styles, the 2006&earlier you can really mess up the cabling on...)

Cheers!