PDA

View Full Version : helmet sweatbands ?

Lewis Moon
03-04-2013, 08:08 AM
I wear perscription glasses when I ride and I've always had problems with sweat dripping off my brow onto the lenses. The sweat band/pads in my helmet look to be designed more for airflow than moisture retention.
Does anyone have a non-Fred looking tip on how to control this?

Nooch
03-04-2013, 08:26 AM
The new lazer helium helmet offers what they call an 'aquapod' front band -- essentially a silicon pad that works to route sweat to the sides...

eddief
03-04-2013, 08:26 AM
Their headbands hold more sweat and when there's too much of it, it tends to drip out the outside edges and not get you in the glasses area. Not perfect, but a good step in the right direction.

crownjewelwl
03-04-2013, 08:28 AM
i find that a hat does the trick

henrypretz
03-04-2013, 08:28 AM
I always wear a cap.
Headsweats makes a Coolmax type that is great for sweat absorption in warmer weather, and anything Merino wool seems to do the trick in cooler weather. Cotton twill is tried and true, as well.

Lewis Moon
03-04-2013, 08:59 AM
I always wear a cap.
Headsweats makes a Coolmax type that is great for sweat absorption in warmer weather, and anything Merino wool seems to do the trick in cooler weather. Cotton twill is tried and true, as well.

Around here, (Fort Stinking Desert, Arizona) it's so important to blow off heat during the summer that I'd REALLY like to stay away from another layer on a part of the body that philosophers postulated was just a "radiator for the heart". I even keep my hair down to a 1/4" brush cut; just barely long enough to guard against sunburn.

This guy was cool: http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e385/thiscocks/laurent-figon.jpg

rwsaunders
03-04-2013, 08:59 AM
i find that a hat does the trick

+1...sometimes a Headsweats cap and sometimes a regular cap, but they both do the trick for me better than the helmet pads.

chwupper
03-04-2013, 09:00 AM
Cap. Most of the sweat drips off the bill, and not directly into my eyes. Not perfect, but better than nothing for me.

redir
03-04-2013, 09:08 AM
Around here, (Fort Stinking Desert, Arizona) it's so important to blow off heat during the summer that I'd REALLY like to stay away from another layer on a part of the body that philosophers postulated was just a "radiator for the heart". I even keep my hair down to a 1/4" brush cut; just barely long enough to guard against sunburn.

The trick is keeping the cotton cycling cap damp. Evaporation is an endothermic reaction meaning it requires heat. The heat comes from your body so in affect you are transferring body heat into a reaction thereby cooling your self. I don't wear prescription glasses but I try to wear sun glasses and have the same problem which is why the glasses almost always end up in my pocket. I think the key is to stay vigilant about wiping your forehead with your glove so it won't build up enough to drip down.

jmoore
03-04-2013, 09:08 AM
I have a few of the Voler coolmax headbands I wear in the summer. They work pretty well. I just looked the Voler site and they are no listed anymore :(

Lewis Moon
03-04-2013, 09:22 AM
Anyone use a sweat gutter type band?

henrypretz
03-04-2013, 09:22 AM
Supposedly designed to keep you cooler than wearing nothing. In my experience I can't argue with that. We average 35 days of +100ºF a year here. Definitely not AZ, but not AK either.

http://www.headsweats.com/products/Cycle-Cap.html

http://www.headsweats.com/product_images/l/286/7701_201__17034_std.jpg

Indeed, he's cool :)

This guy was cool: http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e385/thiscocks/laurent-figon.jpg

carpediemracing
03-04-2013, 10:48 AM
I use a Halo headband and skullcap kind of thing. Amazingly effective. I keep telling myself to buy 5 of each but I haven't yet. I bought the skullcap in a store somewhere in North County north of San Diego, the headband online.

I race while wearing prescription glasses and can't see more than a few inches away without my glasses.

DRZRM
03-04-2013, 10:56 AM
I have a Halo and a Sweat Gutr, they both work ok. You have to get used to tipping your head to the side to empty the Sweat Gutr before it runs into your glasses, but on really hot days, it's minimal design is preferable to the Halo. I find caps just delay the problem. Eventually it's all coming right down your face.

I'll have to look into the new Lazer helmet.

sevencyclist
03-04-2013, 10:59 AM
I have used Sweat GUTR with decent outcomes. However, the pressure against helmet needs to be adjusted to make it comfortable. http://www.sweatgutr.com/

dekindy
03-04-2013, 11:00 AM
The only ironclad sweat prevention for very hot days is a gutter. Either a Sweat Gutr or Halo Headband that routes sweat using a solid, nonabsorbing barrier. Anything that aborbs will eventually get saturated and stop working in really hot weather.

Sweat Gutr is the absolute best as it routes the best and does not cover your forehead from airflow. However Sweat Gutr gives some people a headache. If Sweat Gutr causes a headache, then Halo Headband is the next choice.

Otherwise any good sweatband will work if it is not too hot. If you prefer sweatbands, carry multiples and stop periodically to wring the sweat out and switch. Modern materials dry quickly if air flows over them while you are riding.

Lewis Moon
03-04-2013, 11:18 AM
The only ironclad sweat prevention for very hot days is a gutter. Either a Sweat Gutr or Halo Headband that routes sweat using a solid, nonabsorbing barrier. Anything that aborbs will eventually get saturated and stop working in really hot weather.

Sweat Gutr is the absolute best as it routes the best and does not cover your forehead from airflow. However Sweat Gutr gives some people a headache. If Sweat Gutr causes a headache, then Halo Headband is the next choice.

Otherwise any good sweatband will work if it is not too hot. If you prefer sweatbands, carry multiples and stop periodically to wring the sweat out and switch. Modern materials dry quickly if air flows over them while you are riding.

I think I'm going to try a gutter first. I agree that anything that can become saturated will become saturated.
I'm wearing one of the mid range Giro helmets and may switch to the new Specialized helmets with the big stonkin scoop vent up front. That may also cool things down a bit.

carpediemracing
03-04-2013, 01:05 PM
I think I'm going to try a gutter first. I agree that anything that can become saturated will become saturated.
I'm wearing one of the mid range Giro helmets and may switch to the new Specialized helmets with the big stonkin scoop vent up front. That may also cool things down a bit.

Won't help.

The reason why sweat is running down your skin is that the air can't absorb that much moisture in the limited time it has before the sweat starts rolling down your face. It's a simply physics thing - you need something like a jet engine blowing dehumidified air to evaporate the dripping sweat quickly enough. The only alternative is to divert it, either through padding (limited effectiveness) or a gutter type line (more effective).

To put it in real world terms my S Works helmet was no better than my (Specialized) Decibel except when I first started rolling around on a given ride/race day. I could feel more air hitting my forehead with the S Works. Once I got going I had the same sweat-in-eyes experience.

Neither helmet are better or worse than my (Bell) Volt. I expect the same with my new (Bell) Gage.

When I bought my Halo skullcap it was because I forgot my Halo headband at home when I went out to SoCal. I went into a nearby store and bought the skullcap. At the time the two helmets I had with me were the S Works and Decibel and I had sweat dripping down into my eyes as soon as I started working.

pdmtong
03-04-2013, 01:11 PM
headsweat skull cap for summer, rapha cycling cap for winter.

shovelhd
03-04-2013, 01:44 PM
When racing in hot weather I carry a bottle with plain water to wash the face and eyes.

rccardr
03-04-2013, 03:22 PM
I produce a lot of head sweat and a Gutt'r is the best I've found for keeping it out of my eyes. Got a couple of doodads that look like a yarmulke for your forehead for Christmas this year, supposedly it wicks the sweat from the forehead over the top of the skull and into the wind. We shall see.

Nice thing about the Gutt'r is you can just rinse it off at the end of the day and it's ready to use again. Bandanas and other cloth devices should really be laundered after each use to eliminate bacteria that can cause skin problems.

etu
03-04-2013, 04:42 PM
I cannot go on a ride without a headband to keep sweat out of my eyes. Never tried the gutter but seems like a bit of an overkill. Also was not impressed by halo band. Agree caps make it hotter, but I don't notice difference with a good light headband like the ones from pearl Izumi. They can get saturated, but you'd have to sweat alot. even then, an extra headband, ringing the sweat out, or taking off helmet on long climbs helps.

Len J
03-04-2013, 04:46 PM
I have a shaved head, any sweat would be in my eyes......I use head sweats.
http://www.headsweats.com/categories/Our-Products/Classic-Styles/

Perfect.

Len

Louis
03-04-2013, 04:54 PM
The Halo works well for me on super-humid + hot days. (and we unfortunately get plenty of those)
http://gadgetgrid.gadgetgridllc.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/halo-ii-pullover-headband.jpg

54ny77
03-04-2013, 05:01 PM
http://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/12/51/77/2793425/4/628x471.jpg

jischr
03-04-2013, 06:36 PM
Halo headband, definitely. Keeps my glasses streak free and salt out of my eyes. I carry a spare on summer centuries and change out part way through. You can rinse them out at a QTrip or a city park. But it feels better putting on a clean one.

charlie68
03-05-2013, 07:50 AM
I tried a Headsweats band that is made with Coolmax. The sweatband was effective in keeping sweat out of my eyes but the band seemed to make my head warmer so I stopped using it. To each his own.

Lewis Moon
03-05-2013, 08:38 AM
I ordered the Halo. I read the reviews where people complained that the Gutr dumped sweat down your forehead if you weren't careful and figured one unattentive mistake would make my glasses unusable. The Halo looks to be a good hybrid of both concepts.

Lewis Moon
03-05-2013, 08:39 AM
http://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/12/51/77/2793425/4/628x471.jpg

I'd rock that look.

54ny77
03-05-2013, 08:44 AM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzkkyxpAES1r4sguio1_500.jpg

carpediemracing
03-05-2013, 09:35 AM
Another thing.

I dump ice water on myself during races or really hot rides. I have two (discontinued) Podium Ice bottles. I have ice in the water after 2 hours of riding in 90-95 degree temps. The Podium Chills are the same but after 1 hour of riding. By 2 hours the water is getting luke warm.

I finished a 45 mile race in 85 deg temps shivering because I used (dumped on me) about a bottle in the last 15 minutes of the race, after nursing the other bottle because I was worried about running out of "cold".

When I dump, whether this is accurate or not, I dump the water on my body, not my head, unless I'm desperate. Apparently your head is your thermostat so if you dump cold water on your head it constricts your veins elsewheere to retain heat. I read it somewhere and the only way I've tested is to take cold showers with/without putting my head in the water. Seems that when I let my head stay at whatever temp I tend to cool down more.

I understand that dumping ice water on your head absorbs the most heat energy - not only is the head/neck where you lose most of your heat energy but the water then continues down your torso/arms/legs. But if I do that I feel even more hot in a bit. Keeping my jersey soaked seems to work well for me. I'll dump ice water on my head only after my torso is already cold.

A doc or someone that knows biology should pipe up if I'm just perpetuating a myth.

Lewis Moon
03-05-2013, 09:43 AM
on summer rides in Phoenix I usually take 3 waterbottles. The ratio is usually 1 large bottle for every 15 miles. If I have excess, the water goes on the head and quads.