PDA

View Full Version : "officially single"

Bruce K
11-13-2005, 06:09 PM
Today was the maiden voyage of the single speed.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice and assistance.

I was out for about 1:20 and covered 16 miles of fairly rolling terrain with a couple of fairly steep, and thankfully short, climbs.

Cruising speed seemed to be about 16.5 and climbing was around 10.

It is definitely a different style of riding and it was lots of fun. I even rode with a couple of freinds who were out for a leisurly spin and so "allowed" me to keep up at around 17.5

I am absolutely hooked on riding this bike more and will probably take it to Florida on the family vacation with different gearing.

BK

Fixed
11-13-2005, 07:04 PM
bro I live right down the street from busch gardens if your going there you can come play mess. with me one day have fun with the new bike and good luck cheers :beer:

rnhood
11-13-2005, 07:22 PM
I am intrigued by these "single" speed bikes and, like a nicely built "track" bike they do look very good. But, I have a hard time justifying their suitability in the grand scheme of things. Given the evolution of multispeed gearing and the current state of equipment/components, I really struggle to understand where it fits in other than basic commuting. I would argue that a modern Shimano 10 speed, properly installed and adjusted, is every bit as reliable on a bike as running fixed gearing. Of course mathmatically it will not be but, in practice I think it is. Multispeed gearing just offers so much more in flexibility - at least for the average riding joe like me. Now if the bike is going to take some physical abuse (dropping on the ground, leaving out in the rain, etc., well I guess there is an inalienable toughness associated with those fixes since the rear derailler is missing.

scooter01
11-13-2005, 07:36 PM
OK Bruce how about some pics!

inthegutter
11-13-2005, 07:55 PM
Unless it's a fixie, why not just ride your normal bike and not shift?

Lifelover
11-13-2005, 08:13 PM
I am intrigued by these "single" speed bikes and, like a nicely built "track" bike they do look very good. But, I have a hard time justifying their suitability in the grand scheme of things. Given the evolution of multispeed gearing and the current state of equipment/components, I really struggle to understand where it fits in other than basic commuting. I would argue that a modern Shimano 10 speed, properly installed and adjusted, is every bit as reliable on a bike as running fixed gearing. Of course mathmatically it will not be but, in practice I think it is. Multispeed gearing just offers so much more in flexibility - at least for the average riding joe like me. Now if the bike is going to take some physical abuse (dropping on the ground, leaving out in the rain, etc., well I guess there is an inalienable toughness associated with those fixes since the rear derailler is missing.

Unless it's a fixie, why not just ride your normal bike and not shift?

It is like so many other things in life. Some people like it and some don't. I ride a non fixed SS and really enjoy it. Can't really even place my finger on why.

Getting a greater sense of accomplishment is part of it. When I'm on it and I'm able to hang with guys as the speed picks up and I hear them shifting it just seems cool. Also provides a good excuse if I get dropped.

Not being able to shift (for some reason) is different than just not shifting. It really does free up your mind from that aspect.

IMO every group ride where the intent is to keep the group together should be lead by someone riding a SS. I find that it really smoothes out the ride (speed wise) and makes it much better for keeping a group together.

Bruce K
11-14-2005, 04:13 AM
Fixed - thanks for the offer but we usually go to Sanibel as my wife is into the shell hunting thing.

rnhood - I have 2 multi gear road bikes (Concours and Ottrott ST). The single speed is for off season training and for fun. It was definitely fun. There was a certain sense of accomplishment, especially given the terrain that I rode.

scooter - pics are in the Custom Gallery

gutter - a bad knee had me concerned over going fixed

LL - lots of what you said though I'm not sure about the group ride leader thing. Around here that guy would suffer pretty good.

BK

Fixed
11-14-2005, 07:49 AM
bro I 've heard this many times just don't shift and that may be true but to me it is a return to a simple time ,the same thing could be said for mt. bikes but a lot of guy love s.s. mt bikes there is almost no noice gliidin thru the trails what fun i.m.h.o. cheers :beer:

palincss
11-14-2005, 10:42 AM

You are confusing fixed gear and single speed. They are not the same. Fixed gear is a direct connection, no coasting possible. Sturmey Archer used to make a 3-speed fixed gear hub; The Sheldon's got one. The bike you learned to ride on as a kid was a single speed. It probably had a coaster brake, although there are plenty of single-speeds that don't have coaster brakes these days.

So why would someone want fixed gear? One reason that should resonate with members of this group is that racers have traditionally found fixed gear training very useful for developing a smooth pedal stroke and a wide RPM range. You can find a lot more here: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/fixed.html And here is what Sheldon has to say about single speeds: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/singlespeed.html