PDA

View Full Version : Quick Link Removal Tool

Lovetoclimb
03-03-2013, 03:33 PM
I have been using KMC 11 quicklinks in my Campy Chorus 11 chains. While I can get them to snap into place by holding the front brake and pushing on the DS pedal, removing them for chain cleaning or replacement has been vexing. Stumbled across this tool which seems to fit the bill but cost less than the KMC version. Thoughts from other quick link users?

http://www.parktool.com/product/master-link-pliers-mlp-1 (http://www.parktool.com/product/master-link-pliers-mlp-1)

I know IRD makes a better quick link, but I foolishly bought a multi-pack of the KMC version, so until I use those up I will continue to need a removal tool.

Bruce K
03-03-2013, 03:35 PM
The Park tool works well on SRAM and Shimano chains

No experience with KMC or Campy

BK

jtakeda
03-03-2013, 03:38 PM
Try taking the chain off the front chainring and squeezing the middle of the quick link before pushing.

I don't think you absolutely NEED a tool.

zmudshark
03-03-2013, 03:39 PM
I have the Park tool and Campagnolo 10s chains. Works great.

FlashUNC
03-03-2013, 04:05 PM
Just use a pair of channel lock pliers. Squeeze the link, pops free easy peasy.

ultraman6970
03-03-2013, 04:07 PM
For some reason like 2 or 3 years ago kmc somehow changed the design of the quick link and is a real PITA to take the new ones off... I still have one of the old models ones moving around and those you can can undone them with one hand. KMC needed to justify the tool they designed i guess.

Louis
03-03-2013, 04:16 PM
I'm not sure how the KMC links work, but the SRAM quick-links, which I use on Shimano chains, don't require a tool to install or remove.

IMO having to use a tool, should it be required, defeats the whole purpose of using the quick-link.

SPOKE
03-03-2013, 04:17 PM
The park tool works fine on 9, 10, & 11 speed quick links.

Lovetoclimb
03-03-2013, 04:20 PM
I'm not sure how the KMC links work, but the SRAM quick-links, which I use on Shimano chains, don't require a tool to install or remove.

IMO having to use a tool, should it be required, defeats the whole purpose of using the quick-link.

This is a great point as several others have re-iterated. Maybe I need to just get my hands dirtier and figure out the "trick" to getting those damn things apart. I am sure not going to be carrying said tool around with my if my chain breaks on a ride. Maybe I just need to remove more tension from the chain.

PaMtbRider
03-03-2013, 04:21 PM
That tool works well on every quick link I have tried, including KMC 11speed

Bruce K
03-03-2013, 04:39 PM
Actually, I do carry a quick link and tool (just not this tool) on rides in case my chain (or anyone else's) breaks.

The tool is the pin removal kind, and it's part of my multi-tool, so I can use the quick link to repair the chain and get home.

If my quick link doesn't fit their chain, then at least I can do a chain-ectomy and get them on their way.

BK

AngryScientist
03-03-2013, 04:52 PM
that tool makes what used to be a real PIA job, a POC (piece of cake).

ctcyclistbob
03-03-2013, 05:51 PM
I use the Park tool also, and it works great. I could never remove the link with my hands alone as easily as they make it look.

Ralph
03-03-2013, 06:16 PM
I use a chain "third hand" tool when I do chain work. Including taking off those tight master links. You could probably make one from old coat hanger wire. Mine is about 20 years old, with a circular design, new ones I've seen just look like wire with hooks on the end. Could make that. I usually get the master links loose by hand, bending the links back. For sure don't carry the Park master link removal tool around on a ride. I can over lap the ends to give me a good hold on the chain for master link removal or installation. At least I'm not fighting the tension of the RD, and don't usually get my hands as dirty. It's especially helpful out on a ride to do chain work for strangers. I secure both ends of their chain for them, take out the broken links, then just rejoin the chain (telling them this will only get them back to the car....ride very easy), or maybe I use their master link if they have one. Now their chain is usually too short, but they get home.

firerescuefin
03-03-2013, 06:18 PM
that tool makes what used to be a real PIA job, a POC (piece of cake).

Agreed....15 dollars well spent!

dustyrider
03-03-2013, 06:24 PM
An old spoke works great for what Ralph is describing.

I've found leveraging the links behind the master link is what actually "breaks" the chain; try to use your pinky finger to push and your other fingers to line the links up.
The park tool is something I'd keep for the house or car kit.

xjoex
03-03-2013, 07:59 PM
I have been using the Park pliers for a few years, just makes it so much easier.

-Joe

PaulE
03-03-2013, 08:03 PM
On SRAM and KMC for me!

Lewis Moon
03-03-2013, 08:48 PM
Agreed....15 dollars well spent!

Need one. I was pretty miffed at how hard the KMC master links were to take off.

Louis
03-03-2013, 10:10 PM
I use a chain "third hand" tool when I do chain work. Including taking off those tight master links. You could probably make one from old coat hanger wire.

That's exactly what I did years ago. I bent it into a C (straight, with hooks as the ends) and it does a great job de-tensioning the area on which I'm working.