PDA

View Full Version : Motorized Bikes

dd74
03-02-2013, 09:33 PM
Was climbing a hill a day ago, and this guy passes me on an electric motorized mountain bike. Yeah, he was pedaling, but at about 10 RPM, and going about 25 mph. :mad:

Anyway, that bike was cool. Anyone here know of these motorized bikes?

pinkshogun
03-02-2013, 10:24 PM
couple guys around here started a biz putting together motorized bikes. they buy parts from me as well as frames with enough triangle space to mount the small engines.

another guy in the northern part of the state does motorized bikes complete with fresh powercoat. not my thing but they do look pretty cool

dd74
03-02-2013, 10:57 PM
couple guys around here started a biz putting together motorized bikes. they buy parts from me as well as frames with enough triangle space to mount the small engines.

another guy in the northern part of the state does motorized bikes complete with fresh powercoat. not my thing but they do look pretty cool
How do they sell in RI?

velotel
03-03-2013, 12:22 AM
Quite a lot of them around. Some day I'll buy one. Perfect for doing the shopping. A number of people here on the plateau commute to work with them. Two of them have electric motors that are apparently illegal as they have too much power. They come up the road from the valley at 30 kph. This is on a road with 8, 9, and 10% grades, around 2000 ft of gain! Guy passed me one evening on the way to the col above my house. I was rolling well, feeling good, and all of a sudden there's this guy, way heavier than me, sitting up, pedaling along like he was cruising in town, and going more than twice my speed. This was in a section of 10% grades.

There are all kinds of versions. I've seen a very slick looking road bike that's surprising light that's a total electric speed machine. Riders still pedal them and in fact still get a work out but like my neighbor says, he doesn't get home all sweaty and whipped with exhaustion. Some of them run fat tires, some skinny. One guy has a three-wheeled recumbent with a huge motor in the back wheel. Now that would be a great rig for doing the shopping.

pinkshogun
03-03-2013, 05:54 PM
im not sure how they sell in RI but this guy has got it goin on

http://providence.craigslist.org/bik/3639950462.html

Ralph
03-03-2013, 06:32 PM
My wife has RA in her knees and has had multiple surgeries in her knees. She can still ride a bike on a flat trail at about 10 MPH for about 10 miles without pain.

She thinks she would like one of the new E bikes, a very light weight version, that can go about 15-20 MPH on the trail.....so she can pedal some and do longer rides with friends and family. Sounds terrific to me.

dd74
03-03-2013, 06:44 PM
im not sure how they sell in RI but this guy has got it goin on

http://providence.craigslist.org/bik/3639950462.html
Whoa! Just $400? That's a steal. I imagine the bike itself isn't included, but even so...:banana: