PDA

View Full Version : OT: Any straight razor aficionados??

OtayBW
03-02-2013, 04:42 PM
Kind of obscure, I know, but - well, anyone? :banana:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j42/zelmo_2006/4925335d-7935-412c-936d-a531c37dcfc9.jpg

azrider
03-02-2013, 04:47 PM
Interesting.

Dude on my team at work was boasting about an ivory handled straight razor he picked up for $250 last week and he's got me contemplating buying one also.

Said it took couple days to get used to it but so far he's super happy with it.

binxnyrwarrsoul
03-02-2013, 04:51 PM
Smoothest shave, ever!!

Louis
03-02-2013, 04:51 PM
There's been some discussion of this across the hall. (http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f32/anyone-shave-straight-razor-26530.html)

OtayBW
03-02-2013, 05:11 PM
Thanks for that link, Louis. I will have to (sign up and) check it out!

I've been shaving exclusively with straights for more than a couple of years now. I hone 'em up using a couple of different techniques and do light restoration. I guess if I say nothing else, I should say that it is - to me - a superior shave, but please do not go out and try to find a barber to get a straight shave. It's essentially a lost art and it is the rare occasion that I have ever heard of anyone going out to try a barber shave coming away with a good experience. For one thing, Health regulations prohibit use of normal straights. They have to use these 'shavette' things which are essentially single edge blades inserted into a holder shaped like a straight. But you can learn it, it's a great shave, and it's definitely not boring!

OK - I'm done...

Cheers.

EPOJoe
03-02-2013, 07:40 PM
Been shaving with straights for about two years now, and still loving it. Have twelve straights in rotation, and I hone 'em all myself as well. In fact, today for the first time, I tried shaving someone else. Man, talk about a completely different skill set. The touch with the razor was the same, but the moves are completely different. Here's what I used today:

93legendti
03-02-2013, 07:45 PM
No, but I have fond memories of watching my Grandfather go thru his ritual of shaving with a straight blade every morning

wc1934
03-02-2013, 07:57 PM
Been shaving with straights for about two years now, and still loving it. Have twelve straights in rotation, and I hone 'em all myself as well. In fact, today for the first time, I tried shaving someone else. Man, talk about a completely different skill set. The touch with the razor was the same, but the moves are completely different. Here's what I used today:

where did you purchase the cream (green box) in your picture- i have been searching for it for awhile - target used to sell it but no longer carries it - I am now using a cream from the art of shaving, which is ok.

OtayBW
03-02-2013, 08:03 PM
No, but I have fond memories of watching my Grandfather go thru his ritual of shaving with a straight blade every morning
Yeah - couple of interesting things here: 1) Sense of ritual in that it's definitely not for the drive-thru mentality. Takes some time each day to do the prep and raise a proper lather, but the quality is much better, IMO, and it's a pleasure. Viva la ritual. And 2) connection with simpler things past. Steel and stone. There's a certain focused attention and pleasure, not unlike how you hold your mind when pulling your favorite (or most hated...) hill....

VTCaraco
03-02-2013, 08:12 PM
I guess if I say nothing else, I should say that it is - to me - a superior shave, but please do not go out and try to find a barber to get a straight shave.

One of my favorite things about visiting my folks is visiting the barber that my grandfather brought over from Italy when he was a young teenager. He's been cutting hair for better than 60 years now and definitely knows his way around a straight razor (and still tells me stories ~ mostly old ones, but sometimes new ~ about my family).
Maybe he's not subject to the regulations you mention or maybe he ignores them, but I sure do love the shave he gives.

As for my other experience...
Back when I was eager to give shaving a shot, I grabbed the straight razor that was in my dad's medicine cabinet, greased my face up pretty well with his shaving cream and tried a few different holds that seemed to look right. Carefully but confidently I put the blade to the top of my cheek and started to push down. Only problem - I had the angle so wrong that I simply sliced right into my cheek. Nothing a few band-aids couldn't cover, but I sure did feel dumb.
This thread and the one across the hall has me thinking I'd love to see if that blade is still around at my mom & dad's place and giving it a shot again. If nothing else, it would make me think of my family :banana:
And maybe make for a great story down the road if my 14 year-old follows in my footsteps --- I know he's nicked his face now and then trying to shave with my normal razor ;)

EPOJoe
03-02-2013, 08:16 PM
where did you purchase the cream (green box) in your picture- i have been searching for it for awhile - target used to sell it but no longer carries it - I am now using a cream from the art of shaving, which is ok.

The "Bath & Body Works" chain sells the C.O. Bigelow cream, and if I recall, it was pretty darn inexpensive there (like $5.00 a tube or something). Sometimes they have an in-store promotion where the third tube is free if you buy two, so it gets even cheaper. My current favorite cream is Cella. Buy a block of the stuff and it'll last you the rest of your life. :)

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Cella-Shave-Soap-Cream-1000g_p_359.html

flydhest
03-02-2013, 08:43 PM
So, if someone wanted to jump in to this, how do they start? Online sources for a razor? Thoughts in what not to do?

chwupper
03-02-2013, 09:41 PM
Very interesting -- I was checking out websites selling straight razors a few weeks ago. I'm seriously thinking about this for myself. My question is whether it would be better to get a carbon steel or stainless steel razor. I assume that it is easier to sharpen (to razor sharpness) a carbon steel blade. A bit more work to maintain, though.

EPOJoe
03-02-2013, 09:57 PM
So, if someone wanted to jump in to this, how do they start? Online sources for a razor? Thoughts in what not to do?

Best thing to do would be to head over to one of the shaving forums like straightrazorplace.com or badgerandblade.com and start reading up. For a good starter kit, I'd recommend whippeddog.com. Larry can set you up with a sharp vintage razor and a kit to keep it sharp for around $60.00.

d_douglas
03-02-2013, 10:52 PM
I am just cleaning out my in-laws house and found three or four vintage straight razors in the little velvety lined boxes. They freak me out - I guess watching the opening scene of 'Eastern Promises' does that to you.

Anyways, I think I tossed them, bu I know I kept one - it is in my car for some reason!

Are the worth something? They are maybe 40 years old as a guess...

EPOJoe
03-02-2013, 11:02 PM
I am just cleaning out my in-laws house and found three or four vintage straight razors in the little velvety lined boxes. They freak me out - I guess watching the opening scene of 'Eastern Promises' does that to you.

Anyways, I think I tossed them, bu I know I kept one - it is in my car for some reason!

Depending on the manufacturer, model and condition, they could have been worth up to $500.00 each, but most likely they were worth around $30-$60.

Here's a video of me shaving, back when I first started:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RFHxeztAbg&list=UUBTAo6nBMEtJeSg5U2NZ53Q&index=5

EPOJoe
03-02-2013, 11:11 PM
Very interesting -- I was checking out websites selling straight razors a few weeks ago. I'm seriously thinking about this for myself. My question is whether it would be better to get a carbon steel or stainless steel razor. I assume that it is easier to sharpen (to razor sharpness) a carbon steel blade. A bit more work to maintain, though.

There are debates on the razor forums addressing the merits of carbon vs stainless. Some think stainless is more difficult to hone, but some folks think not. Some say the stainless will maintain an edge longer, some disagree. I've owned carbon razors for years, and with just a quick drying with a tissue when I'm done shaving, I haven't had any issues with rust. Of course, there are guys out there with crazy elaborate razor drying rituals involving canned air, Q-tips and various oils, but I've never had to resort to anything beyond the tissue drying.

Here's a long thread on the subject:
http://straightrazorplace.com/razors/51314-stainless-vs-carbon-steel.html

d_douglas
03-02-2013, 11:17 PM
Depending on the manufacturer, model and condition, they could have been worth up to $500.00 each, but most likely they were worth around $30-$60.

Here's a video of me shaving, back when I first started:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RFHxeztAbg&list=UUBTAo6nBMEtJeSg5U2NZ53Q&index=5

Yeah, I don't think my in-laws family would do $500 razors ;)

Louis
03-02-2013, 11:37 PM
Of course, there are guys out there with crazy elaborate razor drying rituals involving canned air, Q-tips and various oils

Those are the same guys who ride tubulars... ;)

velotel
03-03-2013, 12:13 AM
I used to but my vision got worse (lost much of the vision in one eye) and I started having a hard time seeing at what angle I was holding the razor. Cutting yourself with a straight razor is amazingly easy! Had to stop but miss it. A good shave, nothing thrown away regularly, no electricity used. Very satisfying shave and participation. Learning process can be painful. If you do start, buy one of those small blocks of chalk. They're magic for stopping bleeding.

EPOJoe
03-03-2013, 12:59 AM
Yeah, I don't think my in-laws family would do $500 razors ;)

Some of the old razors that are now going for big bucks only cost $2.00 or so when they were originally sold in the late 1800-early 1900. Stuff like this old Wade & Butcher wouldn't have seemed like anything extraordinary when it was originally sold, but now due to a crazy demand for larger blades and name recognition, the big W&B's are one of the brands/models that are selling for nutty money.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WADE-BUTCHER-8-8-Celebrated-For-Barbers-Use-Straight-Razor-Shave-Ready-/121069874390?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c3053acd6&nma=true&si=em%252BfJw75g5pruM926kdeykaySAI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Steve in SLO
03-03-2013, 01:14 AM
not to veer off topic, but using a nice double edge safety razor is a nice alternative for those interested in the ritual without such a steep learning curve.

EPOJoe
03-03-2013, 01:20 AM
not to veer off topic, but using a nice double edge safety razor is a nice alternative for those interested in the ritual without such a steep learning curve.

This is true!

terry
03-03-2013, 07:27 AM
Interesting thread, but I hate shaving so much that I try and get it done as quickly as possible and that ain't with a straight razor.

OtayBW
03-03-2013, 08:11 AM
Post a pic or two. You never know what you've got.

Interesting thread, but I hate shaving so much that I try and get it done as quickly as possible and that ain't with a straight razor.
Yeah - I use to feel that way too. Had all kinds of ingrown hairs and crappy shaves. Now I spend quite a bit longer shaving with a much better result, elevate the art, and actually enjoy it. Go figure!

Saxon
03-03-2013, 11:22 PM
Yeah - I use to feel that way too. Had all kinds of ingrown hairs and crappy shaves. Now I spend quite a bit longer shaving with a much better result, elevate the art, and actually enjoy it. Go figure!

+1
What was once a chore is now something I look forward to. I spend about 30 minutes in my shaving ritual with some nice music playing in the background. For some reason, I love everything about the process. The stropping, lathering and shaving. Love honing the blades and I love the fact that in most cases, I'm using a razor that was crafted over 100 years ago. I still have my Gem Bar Junior safety razor for when I need a fast, effortless shave, but I feel I missed out when I don't get my "shave time". Here's one of my favorite blades circa 1820...

flydhest
03-06-2013, 06:37 AM
Cycling content. Anyone shave their legs with a straight razor?