PDA

View Full Version : Campy for cross

GeekBoy
03-01-2013, 10:17 PM
Early I know, but starting to do some planning for a cross build for next season.

I'd like to use Campy and would love some recommendations for cross. I see a lot of people using 10-speed. Is that because they are moving their older road stuff to the cross bike or is there a different reason?

I've heard some complaints about their cross cranksets. Any truth to that and if so any recommendations on a substitute? (English BB).

Lovetoclimb
03-01-2013, 10:34 PM
Used 11 speed last year, no problems. Not a lot of heavy mud racing but put it through pretty good paces. Athena, with a Shimano top pull CX FD. All Campy all the time for me!

The year prior I used a bunch of 10speed Campy mixed parts that worked great too. If you can cobble together 10s, especially low end stuff you are okay with beating on, I say go that route. I will be racing the regional elite level next year on my Athena 11 though, lets hope it performs as well as last year.

GeekBoy
03-01-2013, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the info! Sorry, this will be my first cx build so I'm kinda lost - why the Shimano FD?

Lovetoclimb
03-01-2013, 10:41 PM
Campy does not make a top pull front derailleur, and most cross bikes have top tube routed cables, necessitating such a derailleur. It is a solid piece, looks kind of ugly consistent with Shimano, but works well.

GeekBoy
03-01-2013, 10:42 PM
Gotcha, thanks. I take it you used Campy's cx crankset then?

Lovetoclimb
03-01-2013, 10:43 PM
Yep. It is just a normal crankset with CX rings (36/46).

buldogge
03-01-2013, 11:09 PM
I use a std Athena 11 FD and use a simple ST mounted pulley to route the cable. My Meech has a braze-on for this…but…there are simple bolt-on versions from problem solvers/etc.

FWIW…

-Mark in St. Louis

christian
03-01-2013, 11:33 PM
I ran Campagnolo 10 on my cross bike last year and loved it. Why 10? Because I could cobble together a group cheaply - I got free Centaur levers from a good friend, I found a Mirage rear derailleur for $25, I had lots of cog sets. Etc. Etc. Etc. Stuff takes a beating in cross, so if I were buying new, I'd probably go Veloce.

Ken C
03-02-2013, 12:52 AM
Athena, with a Shimano top pull CX FD. Almost all Campy all the time for me

Corrected

oldpotatoe
03-02-2013, 07:07 AM
Early I know, but starting to do some planning for a cross build for next season.

I'd like to use Campy and would love some recommendations for cross. I see a lot of people using 10-speed. Is that because they are moving their older road stuff to the cross bike or is there a different reason?

I've heard some complaints about their cross cranksets. Any truth to that and if so any recommendations on a substitute? (English BB).

Truth to what?

Use Centaur and Veloce or a combo of both(120s for 2013, not older stuff at all). Use a lot of grease when installing their crank, same for any crank. Stuff is reliable, works well. I haven't heard any 'complaints' specific to the Campagnolo cross cranks.

AND most cross frames use a pulley for the FD.

GeekBoy
03-02-2013, 01:28 PM
Truth to what?

One of those things I read online somewhere and filed in the back of my head as "I need to look into this eventually". Glad to hear it's BS.

Thanks for the tips guys!