PDA

View Full Version : Riding in Newport Beach, CA

DRZRM
03-01-2013, 08:02 PM
Will be in Newport Beach for a few days next week for work, but I'll have a CX travel bike with me. Looks like Crystal Cove State Park is close, anyone familiar with good rides around there? I'll bring knobbies, so trails would be great, but dirt road preferable to drops and jumps. Any advice for fast rolling fire roads in the area would be much appreciated.

Ken Robb
03-01-2013, 08:55 PM
It was 76F at the coast today and 80F is expected tomorrow---but--in honor of your visit there is a good chance of rain next week. I'm in San Diego so I don't know about dirt rides in the Orange County coastal area. I must say though that fire roads are fire roads but riding along the coast with ALL kinds of scenery (fixed and mobile) is a chance you shouldn't miss.

54ny77
03-01-2013, 09:04 PM
group road ride in front of rose's donuts in corona del mar on saturdays. group leaves at 7, usually goes up to queen mary and back. can often be eye searing fast, or at least a steady tempo. usually splinters up. loop is around 60 miles or so. many take a break back at the donut shop then split off and smaller groups continue on for another 30-40 miles, if you're so inclined.

mgm777
03-01-2013, 11:25 PM
Take that cross bike and ride gingerly around the Back Bay Loop Trail...MUT all the way, but have to meander through a neighborhood on the north side to connect the loop. Afterwards, cross over PCH at Bayside Drive and ride south to Jamboree, right on Marine Ave, to Balboa Island. Enjoy a nice cup of coffee and cinamon roll at one of the several establishments on the Island. Enjoy the sun, scenery, and wildlife along the way.:)

Uncle Jam's Army
03-01-2013, 11:59 PM
Call the guys at CyclePro in Lake Forest (949) 597-1100. Tell them Robert Oliver referred you. They know of a few fire road routes that are suitable for cyclocross bikes right around O'Neill Park, Whiting Ranch, and Modjeska Canyon, all about 17 miles north of Newport Beach.

Uncle Jam's Army
03-02-2013, 12:06 AM
Having said that, I agree with Ken and Jim that road rides on PCH are also unforgettable. Bring some road tires as well. I'd be happy to show you around on the road, if you're so inclined.

DRZRM
03-02-2013, 01:03 AM
Thanks guys, good to know.

Easy enough to pack a pair of road tires. I'll do that.

I'll have to be at work at pretty regular hours (9-5 or so) so I think rides will be just a few hours at first light (nice thing about going east to west is that you can wake up early and I'll have no kids with me) so out the door at first light should be OK. Robert, if you are out early, I'd love to meet up, but I ride at Clydesdale pace.

Uncle Jam's Army
03-02-2013, 01:13 AM
No worries, chief. Any riding is good. Just let me know. Would love to meet up with a fellow forumite and show them around, casually.

Designatedbiker
03-02-2013, 10:08 AM
group road ride in front of rose's donuts in corona del mar on saturdays. group leaves at 7, usually goes up to queen mary and back. can often be eye searing fast, or at least a steady tempo. usually splinters up. loop is around 60 miles or so. many take a break back at the donut shop then split off and smaller groups continue on for another 30-40 miles, if you're so inclined.

Good stuff, thanks for sharing!

54ny77
03-02-2013, 11:10 AM
You're welcome. My only tip would be to ride smart and since it'd be first time, best is to stay near the back initially. You'll see what's going on and figure it all out pretty quick. Pace depends on who's there and what races are (or aren't) going on that day. Have fun!

UJA, i'm long overdue for a visit/ride, let's maybe do a gathering late spring. Needless to say, I'm not going to be doing 28-30mph up thru Bolsa Chica on Saturdays....:p

Good stuff, thanks for sharing!

Uncle Jam's Army
03-02-2013, 01:08 PM
You're welcome. My only tip would be to ride smart and since it'd be first time, best is to stay near the back initially. You'll see what's going on and figure it all out pretty quick. Pace depends on who's there and what races are (or aren't) going on that day. Have fun!

UJA, i'm long overdue for a visit/ride, let's maybe do a gathering late spring. Needless to say, I'm not going to be doing 28-30mph up thru Bolsa Chica on Saturdays....:p

I look forward to it, Jim.

Echo
03-02-2013, 01:16 PM
If you are just looking for a nice casual ride, just head over to PCH and head up the coast and back... Or, similarly, down the coast and back. With the weather we are having right now, you can't go wrong with PCH!