PDA

View Full Version : S&S Couplers on a Cross Bike

Lovetoclimb
03-01-2013, 07:18 PM
Has anyone seen this done before? I have a custom steel bike that is in need of a repaint anyway, and thinking of having the builder install some couplers on it for me so I have a travel bike as well. Thoughts?

VA-Scooter
03-01-2013, 07:23 PM
Sounds like the perfect travel bike. Wish I had them on my CX bike.

gpl916
03-01-2013, 10:00 PM
I had them on my steel serotta cross bike. Loved them. I am considering putting them on my Ti Serotta cross or Merlin.

Lovetoclimb
03-01-2013, 10:06 PM
I had them on my steel serotta cross bike. Loved them. I am considering putting them on my Ti Serotta cross or Merlin.

Great news. Did you get the bike sufficiently dirty from cross racing or adventuring? Any hiccups or negative experiences to be aware of?

gpl916
03-02-2013, 12:16 AM
Great news. Did you get the bike sufficiently dirty from cross racing or adventuring? Any hiccups or negative experiences to be aware of?

Yes, I did race cross on it and traveled on alot of gravel roads. You would never know they were there except for the looks. Never an issue.

wallymann
03-02-2013, 09:18 AM
custom S&S retrofit by bilenky, frame was an RB2 with added-on canti studs and rear brake housing stop. worked great as a travel bike and occasional 'crosser.

it was pretty heavy, which was no fault of the couplers -- just not a good frame for real 'cross use if you want to be quick given it was so stout and portly. but it was a great all-rounder and as with all S&S equipped bikes, the couplers are a non-factor in whatever purpose the bike is serving.

http://majortaylorcycling.org/bikes/walter_bridgestone_rb2-cross.jpg

robin3mj
03-02-2013, 09:54 AM
Yes, I did race cross on it and traveled on alot of gravel roads. You would never know they were there except for the looks. Never an issue.

I bought this frame from GPL and can also comment on the fact that it rides the same as a non-coupled bike. Did a few CX races on it, took it to France, and has been my winter bike, what with my CAAD being bolted to the trainer the last couple months.