PDA

View Full Version : Watches. OT

flydhest
02-28-2013, 07:51 PM
So, the other watch thread got me thinking. I have two Cartier watches that I don't wear. I would rather have a nice pair of wheels. What is the best way of selling them reasonably? Online seems funny since, unlike here, I don't frequent watch forums so I would seem like a shady character.

Thoughts?

Cat3roadracer
02-28-2013, 07:56 PM
Be extremely careful selling on the net, probably more scammers looking for watches than on other types of forums. Worth very little in trade at your local jeweler, even if they are automatic. In my opinion, do some research to find their worth. Put them on CL, deal locally in a public place and take green backs.

jr59
02-28-2013, 08:11 PM
Most Cartier watches are a published wholesale price.

I'm kind of working in the dark here, so I don't know about yours.

Most are a hard sell these days, as the watch market has gone to larger style watches.

I'm off of here this evening, but shoot me a PM with the model and I'll try to help put a wholesale price to them and you can go from there!

mbakes
02-28-2013, 08:16 PM
Try http://forums.watchuseek.com/forum.php and http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=threadt&frm_id=32. I've sold a bunch of watches on both sites without a problem.

Steve in SLO
02-28-2013, 08:37 PM
I have sold on WUS and Timezone, but usually go the eBay route if the watch isn't a collector's dream. Buy it now with a best offer option gives you some room to negotiate and has lower fees than a standard auction.

dub1308
03-01-2013, 07:06 AM
So, the other watch thread got me thinking. I have two Cartier watches that I don't wear. I would rather have a nice pair of wheels. What is the best way of selling them reasonably? Online seems funny since, unlike here, I don't frequent watch forums so I would seem like a shady character.

Thoughts?

What kind of watches do you have (ie model)? I have been looking for a new watch.

oldpotatoe
03-01-2013, 07:33 AM
Most Cartier watches are a published wholesale price.

I'm kind of working in the dark here, so I don't know about yours.

Most are a hard sell these days, as the watch market has gone to larger style watches.

I'm off of here this evening, but shoot me a PM with the model and I'll try to help put a wholesale price to them and you can go from there!

Listen to JR, he's knows watches, really well. Sox, not so much but watches, plus 100.

christian
03-01-2013, 07:46 AM
Say, you don't have a mid-size automatic all-stainless Tank Francaise, do you?

PQJ
03-01-2013, 07:54 AM
Try a place like Tourneau. Know that they will negotiate more on price than you'd think. Know also that different Tourneau's will offer different prices, and sometimes the delta can be significant (over $2k, in my case, when selling a high end watch to a Tourneau in Chicago, which offered that much more than did a Tourneau in NYC for the same watch).

jr59
03-01-2013, 08:15 AM
Say, you don't have a mid-size automatic all-stainless Tank Francaise, do you?

Christian, to the best of my knowledge, and I'm not an auth dealer of Cartier.
In the tank Fran line; in steel, they make a large and an ex chrno.

now what they call a large is what I would call a mid size, , but Cartier also makes a med size quartz.

Best of luck to both of you guys!

jr59
03-01-2013, 08:17 AM
Listen to JR, he's knows watches, really well. Sox, not so much but watches, plus 100.

hey Old (very old) potatoe, I think your better half is son to retire. She would like a VERY nice watch I'm sure!

Hmmmm....hook a fellow forum guy up. He is looking for new wheels!:banana:

oldpotatoe
03-01-2013, 08:25 AM
hey Old (very old) potatoe, I think your better half is son to retire. She would like a VERY nice watch I'm sure!

Hmmmm....hook a fellow forum guy up. He is looking for new wheels!:banana:

There is only one watch and that watch is a Rolex. Wife retired in January, I'm next....already have a Rolex tho...

Small all stainless Datejust? For the lady?

crownjewelwl
03-01-2013, 08:46 AM
Try a place like Tourneau. Know that they will negotiate more on price than you'd think. Know also that different Tourneau's will offer different prices, and sometimes the delta can be significant (over $2k, in my case, when selling a high end watch to a Tourneau in Chicago, which offered that much more than did a Tourneau in NYC for the same watch).

going to tourneau to sell a watch is worse than going to a pawn shop

PQJ
03-01-2013, 08:48 AM
going to tourneau to sell a watch is worse than going to a pawn shop

I got a fair price and that's all that mattered to me. Never been to a pawn shop.

christian
03-01-2013, 08:51 AM
now what they call a large is what I would call a mid size, , but Cartier also makes a med size quartz.Yes, fair enough. The auto case width is 28mm and the bracelet is 20mm. The quartz model is 25mm case, 20mm bracelet and there is a "lady" quartz with a 20mm case, 15mm bracelet.

19wisconsin64
03-01-2013, 08:57 AM
You can safely sell your watch, for a good price, if you carefully do your research. I was a jeweler for many years, and am very familiar with getting the most for a high-end used watch.

Go onto ebay and do a search on completed items that are just like yours.

Carefully clean up your watch, and photograph it very well.

See what the other successful (the item sold for a good price) Cartier put in their ads, and don't be afraid to cut and paste the description if it applies to your watch.

Personally, I always use the "Buy It Now" price when i list. Or, you can put an auction in, with a reserve price. Keep in mind there are paypal fees and auction fees, so price accordingly. Only request immediate payment by Paypal when selling on eBay.

Recently I got my girlfriend a nice Cartier on ebay, and found myself a Breguet
too.

If you try to sell to a watch dealer you'll end up with maybe half of what you could potentially sell it for yourself. Because of inflation, prices for used Cartier (like used Rolex and others) just continues to go up..... as there is a huge demand for these two brands used.

Good luck!

gary_a_gooner
03-01-2013, 09:29 AM
I like your thinking. I actually just sold a Rolex to the same grey dealer that I bought it off from 2 years ago for a few hundred dollars less. The money's going to a custom frame soon. Bikes > watches.

PM me if you want me to put you in contact with some legit grey dealers.