PDA

View Full Version : Joe Lindsey on NAHBS

fiamme red
02-28-2013, 03:40 PM
Some interesting thoughts here:

Why the Bike Industry Is Like the Beer Industry (http://bicycling.com/blogs/boulderreport/2013/02/27/why-the-bike-industry-is-like-the-beer-industry/)

firerescuefin
02-28-2013, 03:43 PM
Interesting read...good parallell...thank for sharing!

William
02-28-2013, 03:47 PM
Interesting article, thank you for posting. The beer analogy works. I prefer stouts.....What does that say about my choice in bikes????:confused:

;):)
William

sc53
02-28-2013, 04:08 PM
You would love a Pugsley!

katematt
02-28-2013, 04:16 PM
That Green Flash is some good beer.

Great analogy and article. Fans of both on the smaller scale that is.

Cheers.

Gummee
02-28-2013, 04:47 PM
If NAHBS is like beer, I see it going towards the triple uber-hopped west coast style 'IPAs.' Not to everyone's taste by any stretch

I get why someone would want an 'art bike' but it ain't my cuppa. If its yours, have at it!

M

firerescuefin
02-28-2013, 04:53 PM
If NAHBS is like beer, I see it going towards the triple uber-hopped west coast style 'IPAs.' Not to everyone's taste by any stretch

I get why someone would want an 'art bike' but it ain't my cuppa. If its yours, have at it!

M

The "triple uber hopped west coast style IPAs" are one niche of NAHBS...to say it's "going that direction" is just like putting all microbrews in one segment. Lots of practical/rideable non artsy (still wonderfully executed) bikes at NAHBS.

Gummee
02-28-2013, 04:54 PM
The "triple uber hopped west coast style IPAs" are one niche of NAHBS...to say it's "going that direction" is just like putting all microbrews in one segment. Lots of practical/rideable non artsy (still wonderfully executed) bikes at NAHBS.
I'll have to take your word for it.

M

Ahneida Ride
02-28-2013, 08:02 PM
too bad the bike industry is not like the banking industry.

Builder constructs one frame and sells 10 :eek:

pbarry
02-28-2013, 10:32 PM
Lindsey's best line:
And what is up with all the carefully curated facial hair (often paired with a twee metrosexual-lumberjack style of dress)?

sante pollastri
03-01-2013, 05:19 AM
too bad the bike industry is not like the banking industry.

Builder constructs one frame and sells 10 :eek:

like artisans as Baum,Sachs,Pegoretti....but without material research,professional support and crash test....
is there any artisan who make crash tets on their frames?

jr59
03-01-2013, 06:31 AM

I'll say! About 85% of the bikes there fall into this class. and 15% the artsy class, but the artsy class leads in pics, by far.

I'll have to take your word for it.

M

No you can take mine as well. A LOT more rideable bikes than artsy bikes.

victoryfactory
03-01-2013, 06:53 AM
like artisans as Baum,Sachs,Pegoretti....but without material research,professional support and crash test....

You mean on purpose?

Serotta does. They bend, yank and abuse their test frames and tweek
accordingly. AFAICT*

That's why you should go with an experienced builder with a history, imo. Presumably they have made all
the mistakes and learned from them...

VF

*As far as I can tell

oldpotatoe
03-01-2013, 07:46 AM

Pretty sure the ones you mentioned and most others who have a history of making bicycle frames, have a pretty good idea of what works and what doesn't. Most have extensive knowledge of tubing, their dimensions, their strong and weak points. You learn a lot when you hook tubes together to make a bicycle frame. Even the 'big boys', test their frames all sorts of ways. having a failure followed by a lawsuit is one of the best ways to go outta business.

jvp
03-01-2013, 07:56 AM
I think merckx conducted his own crash tests prior to going into his building enterprise.

oldpotatoe
03-01-2013, 08:02 AM
I think merckx conducted his own crash tests prior to going into his building enterprise.

Plus lots of info and experience gained by working with Ugo DeRosa for years prior to 1980, when Merckx frames started. Bicycle frame, the guys that have been building these for decades, knows what works and what doesn't. There are far more who 'know' than the one most frequently mentioned, these last few days.

sante pollastri
03-01-2013, 09:54 AM
Pretty sure the ones you mentioned and most others who have a history of making bicycle frames, have a pretty good idea of what works and what doesn't. Most have extensive knowledge of tubing, their dimensions, their strong and weak points. You learn a lot when you hook tubes together to make a bicycle frame. Even the 'big boys', test their frames all sorts of ways. having a failure followed by a lawsuit is one of the best ways to go outta business.

may be,but nowadays I prefer mass product,more research,more experiences and feedbacks,from the sunday ciclyst to the professional teams.

fiamme red
03-01-2013, 09:59 AM
may be,but nowadays I prefer mass product,more research,more experiences and feedbacks,from the sunday ciclyst to the professional teams.http://bicycling.com/blogs/theselection/files/2011/04/Hincapie-Broken-Roubaix.jpg

firerescuefin
03-01-2013, 11:06 AM
may be,but nowadays I prefer mass product,more research,more experiences and feedbacks,from the sunday ciclyst to the professional teams.

Well...at least we know their marketing works:rolleyes:

sante pollastri
03-01-2013, 02:24 PM
http://bicycling.com/blogs/theselection/files/2011/04/Hincapie-Broken-Roubaix.jpg

all the modern artisanal steel use carbon forks...

sante pollastri
03-01-2013, 02:30 PM
Well...at least we know their marketing works:rolleyes:

I've never seen too much marketing like R.Sachs do,e.g.:
internet
fora
rewiews also on generalist magazines
sockets
mugs
caps
parfumes
watches