PDA

View Full Version : holland breakaway in s&s case??

crownjewelwl
02-28-2013, 01:33 PM
i was under the impression that bikes that used the ritchey breakaway system needed a specific case that was considered oversized by tsa standards

the holland jet bike seems to fit in a standard s&s case. is this simply because it is a smaller frame or did he do something different??

eddief
02-28-2013, 01:45 PM
due to where the breaks are in the frame, will not fit in a standard s and s case...as i understand it.

zennmotion
02-28-2013, 04:57 PM
The Ritchey case is MUCH easier to pack, and it's the "bubble" in the middle to fit the cassette that puts the total dimensions over the line on official airline max. It was originally designed to comply, but then the $(&^$! airlines reduced their maximum dimensions by 2 inches. My 56cm Ritchey Cross will just fit into an S&S case with further breakdown/removal of components (it was a few years ago, I forget exactly what I had to do). But it's definitely more effort than it is with the Ritchey case. Never say never, but I've never had a check in agent argue the dimensions, and I've flown with the bike quite a lot now, mostly international with cheap coach seats. When my Ritchey case finally falls apart I will replace it with another Ritchey, and not an S&S- heavier, more expensive, and more difficult to pack. And FWIW I don't know why more builders aren't using the Ritchey lugs rather than S&S couplers- they're a lighter cheaper and, IMO, a more elegant solution. Keep it simple and all that-

ptourkin
02-28-2013, 06:44 PM
Bill's breakaway is a modification of the Ritchey system that he consulted with them on.

I've ridden that bike. It feels amazing. You'd never know.

DRB
03-01-2013, 10:43 AM
the ritchey case is much easier to pack, and it's the "bubble" in the middle to fit the cassette that puts the total dimensions over the line on official airline max. It was originally designed to comply, but then the $(&^$! Airlines reduced their maximum dimensions by 2 inches. My 56cm ritchey cross will just fit into an s&s case with further breakdown/removal of components (it was a few years ago, i forget exactly what i had to do). But it's definitely more effort than it is with the ritchey case. Never say never, but i've never had a check in agent argue the dimensions, and i've flown with the bike quite a lot now, mostly international with cheap coach seats. When my ritchey case finally falls apart i will replace it with another ritchey, and not an s&s- heavier, more expensive, and more difficult to pack. And fwiw i don't know why more builders aren't using the ritchey lugs rather than s&s couplers- they're a lighter cheaper and, imo, a more elegant solution. Keep it simple and all that-

++1.
Drb

metalheart
03-01-2013, 06:22 PM
Bill's website says a bike wil fit in a 26x26x10 case "that travels as regular airline luggage."

http://www.hollandcycles.com/bikes/extra-options

http://hollandcycles.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/BTC-Bike-in-Box-edited-1024x768.jpg