PDA

View Full Version : EPS and Mechanical Living Together...

FlashUNC
02-28-2013, 11:15 AM
I thought this was interesting. Bryan Coquard from Team Europcar, in winning stage 8 at the Tour of Langkawi.

Looking at his bike closely in the photo, you see mechanical Campy Record Shifting for the rear, but EPS shifting for the front.

Thoughts from the mechanics and racers out there? Why would he go with this set-up?

http://velonews.competitor.com/files/2013/02/Coquard-wins-666x440.jpg

ultraman6970
02-28-2013, 11:33 AM
The only logical reason to go with that set up is if the bike got a problem with the shifter or the rd at some point and they had to replace it, and they did not have more eps units so they had to just use the mechanical one.

Don't see any other logical reason.

thirdgenbird
02-28-2013, 11:34 AM
Interesting. Have pics?

Edit: never mind, picture wasnt loading...

ultraman6970
02-28-2013, 11:39 AM
You cant see it in the picture? The bifters are different.

christian
02-28-2013, 11:43 AM
I think Ultraman is right; seems like a middle-of-the-night "we're racing in Malaysia and don't have enough spares" fix.

But maybe he likes the positive shifts of mechanical in the rear and prefers auto-trim in the front? Actually, will auto-trim work if the rear isn't signaling what gear it's in? Odd, for sure.

FlashUNC
02-28-2013, 11:48 AM
I think Ultraman is right; seems like a middle-of-the-night "we're racing in Malaysia and don't have enough spares" fix.

But maybe he likes the positive shifts of mechanical in the rear and prefers auto-trim in the front? Actually, will auto-trim work if the rear isn't signaling what gear it's in? Odd, for sure.

That was my first thought on the auto-trim and the -- by all accounts -- superior front shifting. But I didn't think the auto trim would work without the computer knowing where everything was from the FD/RD acting in concert.

It just seems like a bodged together half measure. Surely if you've got time to replace half of the shifting bits, you can replace the FD and right shifter as well, right? Not like an FD takes that much time to adjust and set-up.

thirdgenbird
02-28-2013, 11:54 AM
You cant see it in the picture? The bifters are different.

Odd, there was no picture the first time I came...

nooneline
02-28-2013, 11:58 AM
It just seems like a bodged together half measure. Surely if you've got time to replace half of the shifting bits, you can replace the FD and right shifter as well, right? Not like an FD takes that much time to adjust and set-up.

Well, you only have to unwrap the tape, pull the shifter, wiring, and FD off, uncable the brake, put new ones on, recable the front brake and the front derailleur, and re-wrap the bars. While there are 8 other bikes waiting for you to do that evening.

"Bryan! Mind having mechanical right and electronic left for a few days?"
"What are the stages like?"
"Mostly flat."
"Yeah, it doesn't matter." [goes out and wins a stage] "See? No problem."

fiamme red
02-28-2013, 12:04 PM
Why is he pointing to his Olympic rings tattoo? What does winning the silver medal in the track omnium have to do with the Tour of Langkawi?

MattTuck
02-28-2013, 12:08 PM
Why is he pointing to his Olympic rings tattoo? What does winning the silver medal in the track omnium have to do with the Tour of Langkawi?

He may be pointing to his bicep, a display of how strong he is... the tattoo may be incidental.

On the other hand, I'm not sure there's much pride in being the cyclist with the biggest biceps. Like being the tallest kid in 3rd grade. Pretty much useless.

Mark McM
02-28-2013, 12:24 PM
Wait, you mean he was using a mechanical derailleur system and he still won? My LBS has lately been strongly implying that a pro can't be competitive today without electronic shifting. Who knew?!

nooneline
02-28-2013, 12:31 PM
your LBS is highly silly. A lot of teams and pro riders are using mechanical and I'm pretty sure that very few races are won based on how electronically one's bike shifts.

oldpotatoe
02-28-2013, 12:59 PM
your LBS is highly silly. A lot of teams and pro riders are using mechanical and I'm pretty sure that very few races are won based on how electronically one's bike shifts.

Wow, sense of humor check.

Mark McM
02-28-2013, 01:29 PM
Wow, sense of humor check.

http://www.pequenocerdocapitalista.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/The_Sarcasm_Misunderstanding_by_ThePlotThinnens.jp g

gavingould
02-28-2013, 01:41 PM
he told his DS he would point to the tattoo if he won a stage. young guy is just getting started on the road....

soulspinner
02-28-2013, 02:26 PM
Less bike weight allows deeper (and heavier) wheels. Aero trumps weight.

Ralph
02-28-2013, 02:48 PM
That's probably what was in the parts box. Some of the "almost" pros I've seen race could care less about parts. It's a bike....they didn't have to pay for.

IJWS
02-28-2013, 05:02 PM
He may be pointing to his bicep, a display of how strong he is... the tattoo may be incidental.

On the other hand, I'm not sure there's much pride in being the cyclist with the biggest biceps. Like being the tallest kid in 3rd grade. Pretty much useless.

Maybe he was feeling pumped up from all that mechanical shifting--workin' that bicep!

zennmotion
02-28-2013, 05:14 PM
Well, you only have to unwrap the tape, pull the shifter, wiring, and FD off, uncable the brake, put new ones on, recable the front brake and the front derailleur, and re-wrap the bars. While there are 8 other bikes waiting for you to do that evening.

"Bryan! Mind having mechanical right and electronic left for a few days?"
"What are the stages like?"
"Mostly flat."
"Yeah, it doesn't matter." [goes out and wins a stage] "See? No problem."

Actually, don't I recall the mechanics for Nicole Duke doing almost that very operation (replacing a shifter and cable) during a single lap (< 7 minutes maybe) at Cross Worlds? Outside, in the pits, in the cold? Whatever the details, I was impressed.