PDA

View Full Version : Way OT: Duck Dynasty

Dave B
02-28-2013, 11:07 AM
Being a teacher I am often times bombarded with stupid and I have grown to believe that some of the shows on TV that kids are watching or that even make it passed some sort of content guru even exhist. My students last year and this year bring up this monstrosity called Honey Boo Boo. Some family in only God knows where who make $15K an episode for exhisting. Their contribution to the world is less then nothing.

My wife and 7 yeard old made me watch an episode and I literally felt myself getting dumber as time ticked by. I was angry after it was over.

So my students were telling me about Duck Dynasty and describing whatI thought was another version of the Honey Boo Boo trash.

So on a promise to one of my students who I adore I watched an episode.

one word for you...Fantastic.

I thought it was funny, silly, and somethign struck me about the people that I couldn't quite figure out. The more I have learned about the actual family (the Robertsons) the more the show and their ideas or shoudl I say ideals ring true in my own life.

All but one (Si) are college educated, and a few as the masters level. The partriarch has a masters i education, played football (started over Terry Bradshaw in college) and walked away from a chance to play in the NFL as his heart belonged in nature and providing for his wife and children. He turned a business making duck calls into a multi million dollar business.

The emphasis on family above all and their love of each other is reassuring, their faith in God is tremendously sincere (regardless of your beliefs) and their lack of apologies and political correctness for who they are and what they stand for remind me of how I wish our soceity could evolve to.

No they ar enot perfect and yes much of what we see is staged, but every account, I mean every account I have read on them or have heard from folks who meet them is how normal they are and what you see is what you get.

If you haven't watched the show yet, give it a spin. Read up on the family and enjoy their unique brand of life that I think many of us could benefit from.

Wilkinson4
02-28-2013, 11:14 AM
+1. A guilt pleasure:) The fact is, these guys will rule the earth when the zombie apocalypse hits!

mIKE

Dave B
02-28-2013, 11:22 AM
There are subtlties in the speech, thought processes, andinteractions that show bits of their intelligence.

My family loves it.

I have also found a few bridges of interest to students who have been difficult to connect with. This family/show has made a serious impact in my life experiences. Good stuff.

Rubeboy
02-28-2013, 11:34 AM
A definite guilty pleasure.
I do often wonder what is scripted/staged and what is really them, but it's all good fun, jack.

Wilkinson4
02-28-2013, 11:35 AM
Just thougt about this... But wouldn't Bilenky be about the perfect frame shop for a reality show? A cast of characters, Philly, junkyard cross, The Notekillers!!!

mIKE

fiamme red
02-28-2013, 11:50 AM
Just thougt about this... But wouldn't Bilenky be about the perfect frame shop for a reality show? A cast of characters, Philly, junkyard cross, The Notekillers!!!

mIKEDon't forget drunken woodchucks and Ferdinand the cat! :)

http://bilenkycycles.blogspot.com/2013/02/nahbs-recap-we-came-we-saw.html

CNY rider
02-28-2013, 11:54 AM
On like Donkey Kong.
My wife got me a DD poster for my birthday 2 weeks ago which is now proudly displayed on my office door.
It's such a refreshing change from the other junk on TV.

Dave B
02-28-2013, 12:20 PM
On like Donkey Kong.
My wife got me a DD poster for my birthday 2 weeks ago which is now proudly displayed on my office door.
It's such a refreshing change from the other junk on TV.

My little boy turns 1 tomorrow (his name being Will really helps). Sunday we are having the family in for a party. We are doing a duck dynasty theme. I haven't shaved for about 6 weeks so beard is in nicely, camo cupcakes, invitations, and ballons. Liz (wife) got all of us DD shirts and Will (wee man) a DD onsie. We ordered a few fake beards and got Will one of those knitted hats with beard built in.

Menu is as such:

Squirell brains = meatballs
Gator Sandwiches = lunch meat
Road Kill salad = pasta, bacon, carrots, peas, ranch
Ham sammich = ham sandwich.
Yuppie food - veggies and dip
camo cup cakes = um cupcakes with camo frosting. (she also put cupcake toppers with loads of DD quotes on them)
Gator bites = chicken nuggets for the kids
Sweat tea
you get the idea.

John Price
02-28-2013, 12:31 PM
Don't let mIKE fool you, he also watches that Honey Boo Boo show (or so he's confided to me in the past !).

Haven't seen Duck Dynasty but may just have to give it a watch.

John

Wilkinson4
02-28-2013, 02:40 PM
Don't let mIKE fool you, he also watches that Honey Boo Boo show (or so he's confided to me in the past !).

Haven't seen Duck Dynasty but may just have to give it a watch.

John

Don't judge me!

mIKE

Steve in SLO
02-28-2013, 03:23 PM
Agree with Duck Dynasty and would add:

American Pickers
Swamp People-- "Choot 'em, choot 'em!"
Pawn Stars

as other guilty pleasures worth watching. Get past some obviously staged 'drama' and there are lessons on family, responsibility, relationships, history and good people in each.

FL_MarkD
02-28-2013, 08:05 PM
Same for me. Watched it once or twice out of curiosity and then really began to like the show. One thing I really like is that they normally end the show with the family and friends all together, thankful for what they have, and they share the 'lesson' from the show.

I talked my wife into watching it and she was hooked. I think the OP gave a good analysis of why it just works. There is a lot of the 'reality' junk on TV, but this one is worth the time.

Mark

dancinkozmo
02-28-2013, 08:12 PM
mr. p , your spelling and grammer are atroshus , hope you dont teach the english.

Birddog
02-28-2013, 08:35 PM
DD is the best from the intro to Phil saying grace at the end. How can you not like Uncle Si, Jack?

old fat man
02-28-2013, 11:36 PM
mr. p , your spelling and grammer are atroshus , hope you dont teach the english.

haha, beat me to it.

Louis
02-28-2013, 11:45 PM
What is this thing you call a "TV" ??? ;)

dave thompson
03-01-2013, 12:17 AM
What is this thing you call a "TV" ??? ;)
You have to have "electricity" first.;)

raygunner
03-01-2013, 12:28 AM
Way OT but I caught a show on E! (I was at the gym!) called "Burning Love", funny tongue in cheek take on The Bachelor kinda like Night Stand with Dick Dietrick take on Jerry Springer.

dancinkozmo
03-01-2013, 03:33 AM
watching TV gives you cancer

soulspinner
03-01-2013, 03:46 AM
I watch tennis, auto racing, bicycle racing, and duck dynasty. laughter is great medicine...............

Dave B
03-01-2013, 05:15 AM

yep.

go away

dub1308
03-01-2013, 08:57 AM
Agree with Duck Dynasty and would add:

American Pickers
Swamp People-- "Choot 'em, choot 'em!"
Pawn Stars

as other guilty pleasures worth watching. Get past some obviously staged 'drama' and there are lessons on family, responsibility, relationships, history and good people in each.

+1. All great shows.

msl819
03-01-2013, 09:29 AM
I live about 20 miles from West Monroe - LA, home of DD. I am sure much of their antics are stagged but I can tell you it is true to life for many, many folks around here. And from talking to people who know the Robertsons personally, who you see is pretty much who they are.