PDA

View Full Version : Shimano vs. Sram vs. Campagnolo Group sets...

Designatedbiker
02-27-2013, 10:44 PM
I hope I'm not starting anything, does anyone have a pro's and cons to these 3 group sets comparing their top of the line mechanical groups, also comparing pricing?

spaced_ghost
02-27-2013, 10:51 PM
first off, hate to be this guy, but do a search, there's a lot of info here already.

quick personal opinion:

Campy never fails to please. Price never fails to drop my jaw and make me hide my wallet.

Shimano is best all-around, balance of quality and price. Although Di2 is something else... would kill for a group.

Sram is meh. made to be disposable. imo. shifting action not my thing. ergo really uncomfortable. looks cool as hell tho.

jtakeda
02-27-2013, 10:53 PM
This conversation has been on here 1 billion times. Search is your friend.

krhea
02-27-2013, 10:58 PM
this conversation has been on here 1 billion times. Search is your friend.

+100

Designatedbiker
02-27-2013, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the reply guys, well noted. I have searched and read up a bit but just wanted to get other's opinions. As far as pricing goes, MSRP is transparent. However, there are deals to be had on ebay, craigs, here, etc. and some group sets will go for a lot more discount than others, so that's the opinion I wanted from you guys.

Thanks again, will continue my reading, I love this forum!

esldude
02-27-2013, 11:57 PM
Just an echo I suppose. Best combination of quality and price is Shimano. Count on it, use it you won't go wrong. Campy has some very good qualities, and it costs too damn much. You might appreciate them. If you have some coin to spare use Campy. Otherwise use Shimano. I have it on one bike, and gladly support the whole idea of Campy just on principle.

SRAM, better than you might think, but never really as good as the other two. Using SRAm doesn't automatically make you suspect. But the other two will be better.

Finally, I think Shimano and Campy are really beyond what we need. The competition has been good, but they are both way beyond need. I find SRAM, maybe not quite always up to need. Or at best minimally up to need.

And even more finally (yeah I know kind of foolish), any of them can get you a functionally good bike to use. None are so bad you will have real problems. If you want to get picky, for some less persnickety items like brakes, SRAM Rival doesn't leave you needing more. On the other hand SRAM front derailleurs just seem to suck, and badly. Avoid SRAM FD and if forced to compromise or economize somewhere, do it with cheap SRAM brakes.

As a result I have had one road bike with SRAM brakes, Shimano FD, and Campy everything else. It worked fine. Then again, yes once again, I really would suggest, don't bother with SRAM just go with one of the other two.

gemship
02-28-2013, 12:08 AM
Thanks for the reply guys, well noted. I have searched and read up a bit but just wanted to get other's opinions. As far as pricing goes, MSRP is transparent. However, there are deals to be had on ebay, craigs, here, etc. and some group sets will go for a lot more discount than others, so that's the opinion I wanted from you guys.

Well you sound soundly educated on this. I never had a Campy group nor have I used Campy but since you mentioned deals to be had I would add that Campy becomes a great group when buying used. You can rebuild a shifter thats a nice thing. If I were looking for a used bike then I would consider that and be on the lookout for Campy rather than Shimano otoh Shimano is really that good and prices simply nosedive once stuff is used and even the term used becomes transparent. Lots of folks hardly use stuff.

vqdriver
02-28-2013, 12:25 AM
Find the shifters that u like the most and be done with it.
This could go on and on and cost lotsa money. Regardless of what's said here sram fits me best and I've not had any problems whatsoever with it. More natural for me, even more than da9000 so far. We'll see after some more miles on the shimano. After three years, Campy wasn't for me. Just never got used to the paddle position.

Designatedbiker
02-28-2013, 12:40 AM
Thanks everyone for the all your thoughts, now I've a better idea. I'm running Sram because of weight and the way it sounds while shifting. I agree on the FD, and shifting in general, not as great as Shimano. Shimano I know is durable, but heavy and while it's quiet in shifting, I like Sram's sounds (kinda like listening to an exhaust sound of a car). Campy I understand was the lightest last year, less maintenance required, expensive. But I like the way their shifters look, I just have to go test one. My other bike has Shimano shifters and I don't like the way they work and feel. I think I'm going to stick with Sram for now and save up, test Campy to see if that would be my next group set. Damn I just bought a set of 2013 Zipp 404's FC for Shimano/Sram so I guess Sram will be my choice for now.

krhea
02-28-2013, 01:29 AM
. Damn I just bought a set of 2013 Zipp 404's FC for Shimano/Sram so I guess Sram will be my choice for now.

Not really a good reason as a free hub swap is very easy if you want to run Campy.

illuminaught
02-28-2013, 01:30 AM
As an ex owner of only Campy Record and Centaur groups... I'm much happier with Sram. The shifters fit my hands much better than the Campy gear ever did and I don't think there is any functional loss.

Only the Sram Red (last version) titanium cage front derailleur was questionable, and honestly... it only will give you problems if you set it up poorly or try and ride small/small which is not a choice gearing anyway.

IMHO pick which shifters fit your hands... and the one you get the best deal on...

dd74
02-28-2013, 02:15 AM

No matter what groupset you choose, please support your Local Bike Shop (LBS). Most will give you a price close to whatever is new on ebay, craigs, or whatever. Plus they'll make sure you get the correct components. Ebay, craigs, et al, can never guarantee that.

kenmetzger
02-28-2013, 08:56 AM
I never really understand when people say that Campagnolo is outrageously expensive. Dura Ace sits in between Record and Super Record on price. On OEM bikes the Campagnolo equipped bikes do seem over priced, because they cannot discount as much as the big boys to the manufacturers. If you are buying a new group then Campagnolo is not a bad deal in comparison. Replacement parts for Campy can be more expensive, though, as not as many companies make parts that match their standards.

I am a Campagnolo guy, but really do not have anything negative to say about Shimano. I just like the feel of Campy shifters and the ease of use that Ultra Shift can provide. I do love the idea that I can actually fix a $300 shifter instead of having to buy a new one.

ultraman6970
02-28-2013, 09:07 AM
I share Ken's thoughts. Shimano products line is almost the same than campagnolo, no big differences but all depends where you buy too.

Where shimano has the advantage is in the low end stuff, a sora group is like 300 bucks, they put in the entry level bikes and then you have a new costumer that will have the word shimano stuck in their head since day one. As for the other groups is almost the same price everywhere even with sram.

nooneline
02-28-2013, 09:10 AM
They all do a good job of moving a chain from one cog to the next. Their weight, price, and durability differ. How they feel differs in ways that are matters of opinion.

RonW87
02-28-2013, 09:20 AM
I'll say it. Campagnolo is way cooler. Armani, Ferrari, Berlusconi (umm, forget the last one) vs. Honda, Toyota and fishing reels.

:fight:

cmg
02-28-2013, 09:29 AM
Campy fan. Never bought a group new, all from eBay or classifieds on forums. It's rebuildable, so buy it once, buy it for life but buy it used. 11 spd is now showing up on eBay. if i had to cobble it would be Sram/Shimano dura ace brakes, Sram red- FSA SLK (maybe) crank, campy everything else.

sparky33
02-28-2013, 09:30 AM
http://redkiteprayer.com/2012/01/battle-royal-super-record-vs-dura-ace-vs-red/

spaced_ghost
02-28-2013, 09:35 AM

agree.

Dave
02-28-2013, 09:41 AM
Campy shifters, 2009 and newer can't be repaired cheaply, since Campy quit selling the individual small parts that are needed. On the bright side, the new ultrashift design has no highly stressed g-springs to wear out. The shifters can be repaired, but you have to buy a major assembly that includes everything but the brake lever, brake hood and band clamp.

As for the price, there's been a large pricing discrepancy between US and UK suppliers of Campy parts, since late 2008, when the 2009 parts first came out. As an example, a Chorus 11 cassette costs $100 from Ribble and $189 from Excel Sports, in Boulder.

Len J
02-28-2013, 10:05 AM
IME. If you shop and are patient, the buy price for Campy is about the same as Shimano. Where it gets more expensive for me is in replacement cassettes.

I'd rank the 3 :

1.) Campy
2.) Shimano
5.) SRAM

YMMV

Shimano and Campy each work great. I like the look and feel of the campy hoods better. I like the Full axle of the Shimano cranks better then the split and splined Campy, but the difference is small.

If you put it on a travel bike, it's easier to get Shimano parts anywhere in the USA in an emergency....not that easy w Campy.

I have Campy on all my bikes with the exception of my coupled Travel bike. I have Shimano on that.

SRAM does nothing for me personally.

Len

pakora
02-28-2013, 10:14 AM
http://redkiteprayer.com/2012/01/battle-royal-super-record-vs-dura-ace-vs-red/

heh I opened this thread to reply with that myself. I've only ridden Ultegra 9 and only know people who ride Shimano and Sram.

I found the 4 part series in this link to be well-written, balanced and well thought out. FWIW it helped me decide to go with my curiosity about Campy on my next bike (yet unbuilt, though I'll probably go with one of the 10sp groups, Centaur or Veloce). And at the same time just to have tried them all keep an eye peeled for a used lower-tier SRAM group for the 'cross bike just to have at least tried them all.

FlashUNC
02-28-2013, 10:18 AM
http://archvillain.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/not-this-again.jpg

spaced_ghost
02-28-2013, 10:29 AM
heh I opened this thread to reply with that myself. I've only ridden Ultegra 9 and only know people who ride Shimano and Sram.

I found the 4 part series in this link to be well-written, balanced and well thought out. FWIW it helped me decide to go with my curiosity about Campy on my next bike (yet unbuilt, though I'll probably go with one of the 10sp groups, Centaur or Veloce). And at the same time just to have tried them all keep an eye peeled for a used lower-tier SRAM group for the 'cross bike just to have at least tried them all.

where are the rest of those articles? can't seem to find the link

pakora
02-28-2013, 10:41 AM
yeah I had to search the site to get them too:

http://redkiteprayer.com/2012/01/battle-royal-part-ii-shimano-dura-ace/

http://redkiteprayer.com/2012/01/battle-royal-part-iii-campagnolo-super-record/

http://redkiteprayer.com/2012/01/battle-royal-part-iv-sram-red/

http://redkiteprayer.com/2012/01/battle-royal-the-wrap-up/

Jeff N.
02-28-2013, 10:42 AM
Campagnolo Super Record Ti stands alone, IMO. I've had all the rest, including DA-9000.

jr59
02-28-2013, 10:45 AM
Simple, ride what you like!

Campy and shimmano both work well.
besides, the front D-rail Sram, or so I'm told works too.

I'm never going to worry about a few grams, it has never kept me from winning, so ....

jds108
02-28-2013, 11:13 AM
The comfort on the brifters should trump everything else.

That being said, I haven't ever seen/used the DA9000 but I think it's the best-engineered group of all. Hey, I get to have an opinion like everybody else!

I have Campy and Shimano and both work well, and I don't have a strong preference for either.

enr1co
02-28-2013, 11:34 AM
http://archvillain.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/not-this-again.jpg

I think Picard would be a Campy guy ;) but regardless of Jean Luc and my preferences are they are all competitive -there is no better or best.

If you are able to test drive each of them, you'll likely gravitate towards one based on your personal preference of feel, ergonomics and aesthetics.

eippo1
02-28-2013, 01:49 PM
I have Red, Force, Ultegra and Chorus equipped bikes currently. I gotta say that I like them all for different reasons. The newer Shimano stuff doesn't fit my hands, though. And in full disclosure, I have an Ultegra front derailleur on my Red bike because I find that it shifts much better.

spaced_ghost
02-28-2013, 01:55 PM
I just wish Sram didn't hurt my hands. or that shimano looked better.

KidWok
02-28-2013, 01:58 PM
There's only one way to find out...have one of each!

Tai

mcteague
02-28-2013, 02:01 PM
Had Shimano for years but, after going Campy, have no desire to go back. Sram is just too freakin' ugly to even consider. Plus, from what I read it is none too reliable. As others have said, it really boils down to which shifter body feels best to you.

The new style Campagnolo grips feel great to me. And, I really like the mechanical feel to the shifts. Shimano feels a bit to smooth. The tactile quality Campy has gives just the right amount of feedback ATMO.

Tim

spaced_ghost
02-28-2013, 03:49 PM
speaking of, where's a good spot online to get Campy groups at reasonable prices? especially mid level, like Athena.

Dave
02-28-2013, 03:56 PM
Ribble or Shiny Bikes.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/gsg/road-track-bike/campagnolo-road-groupsets?sub=conf_GS_CAR&type=RIBMO&tmp=_CAR

http://www.shinybikes.com/campagnolo-groupsets/

Gummee
02-28-2013, 04:52 PM
In my case, its 'find the freehub body you like most.'

I got started down the Shimano path back when C-Record was THE group to lust for. Unfortunately, as a broke college student, I couldn't afford the Campag to put on my PDM Concorde, so it became a mix of D/A and 600.

One wheelset turned into 2, which HAD to make 3, then 4. I'm up to ~8 Shimano compatible wheelsets. Switching over to Campag isn't in the books.

Closest I've come to Campag was Sachs New Success in the mid-90s. Great stuff, but not light by any stretch.

M

Dave
02-28-2013, 05:41 PM
And now that you've got many Shimano wheelsets, they won't work with 11 speed either. Campy hubs are 9-10-11 speed compatible.

Gummee
02-28-2013, 05:48 PM
And now that you've got many Shimano wheelsets, they won't work with 11 speed either. Campy hubs are 9-10-11 speed compatible.
I'm not going 11 for a while. I didn't go 10sp till just a few years ago. ...and then the ex- got there first!

I thought 8 was great. Nine meant one more gear. Ten? Meh. Eleven? Don't see the need.

M

spaced_ghost
02-28-2013, 06:25 PM
Ribble or Shiny Bikes.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/gsg/road-track-bike/campagnolo-road-groupsets?sub=conf_GS_CAR&type=RIBMO&tmp=_CAR

http://www.shinybikes.com/campagnolo-groupsets/

thanks!

oldpotatoe
02-28-2013, 06:32 PM
speaking of, where's a good spot online to get Campy groups at reasonable prices? especially mid level, like Athena.

beats me

dd74
02-28-2013, 09:06 PM
beats me
No *****. Some guys never listen, do they? Or just don't care. :rolleyes:

spaced_ghost
02-28-2013, 09:32 PM
Athena 11 for 7 bills aint bad. I mean, Rival's $889.

dd74
02-28-2013, 10:48 PM
Athena 11 for 7 bills aint bad. I mean, Rival's $889.
Again, unless you wrench this stuff yourself, order it through your LBS. If not, it's an insult to your LBS to bring in parts from online sources and ask, handlebar in hands "Can you please install this?"

NOTE: I'm not in the industry. I just believe in small business. And I've learned from past experiences how items ordered from online outlets can sometimes lead to bad results.

spaced_ghost
02-28-2013, 11:01 PM
Again, unless you wrench this stuff yourself, order it through your LBS. If not, it's an insult to your LBS to bring in parts from online sources and ask, handlebar in hands "Can you please install this?"

NOTE: I'm not in the industry. I just believe in small business. And I've learned from past experiences how items ordered from online outlets can sometimes lead to bad results.

I wrench myself. I worked in shops for several years and I have all my own tools, but thanks for the ethics lesson.

spaced_ghost
02-28-2013, 11:06 PM
oh, and I was the guy fixing people's online-ordered parts and bikes. It is insulting when it's the know-it-all guy who you know has the money to spend but doesn't. When it's someone just trying to save some money because they dont have that much, it's just frustrating that the industry and economy has turned out that way. besides, you just charge the D-bag with the attitude more for labor.

dd74
03-01-2013, 03:12 AM
oh, and I was the guy fixing people's online-ordered parts and bikes. It is insulting when it's the know-it-all guy who you know has the money to spend but doesn't. When it's someone just trying to save some money because they dont have that much, it's just frustrating that the industry and economy has turned out that way. besides, you just charge the D-bag with the attitude more for labor.
Oh, I see, you charge the douche bag with attitude and money more for labor. That's an upstanding practice.

In my view, labor has nothing to do with economy. It's labor, which IMO, has no true $$ amount, because when there is monetary respect between who performs the labor and who pays for that labor, especially when a neighborhood brick and mortar establishment is involved.

But then if you can wrench your stuff yourself, go ahead. All I can say is if you get it wrong because you bought online, you better hope your "douchey" comment doesn't come back to reflect back on you... :no:

dancinkozmo
03-01-2013, 03:24 AM
...dunno whos more annoying, helmet nazis or "shop at your LBS" nazis .

wrt the OP : Campag is for suckers :banana:

SolidSnake03
03-01-2013, 05:44 AM
Definitely "support your LBS nazi"

Let say for example that your LBS owner has had a checked past at best including assault of a homeless person with a bat and a few other quite horrible acts. Said owner is also just an all around d!ick of an individual. Well in this case I would NOT support your LBS!

Support your LBS if they deserve to be supported, not just on blind principle alone

Black Dog
03-01-2013, 06:41 AM
Definitely "support your LBS nazi"

Let say for example that your LBS owner has had a checked past at best including assault of a homeless person with a bat and a few other quite horrible acts. Said owner is also just an all around d!ick of an individual. Well in this case I would NOT support your LBS!

Support your LBS if they deserve to be supported, not just on blind principle alone

A bit of a straw man argument? No one here suggested that you support a business blindly.

I would not support a bike shop that adjusted its prices based on my personality profile. Oh, I am a douche...well that will be 1 million dollars, oh I seem stressed...well that will be 1 dollar...oh I suck up to the shop and treat the employees like gods and never ask a question...that is priceless.

spaced_ghost
03-01-2013, 07:01 AM
it was a joke, lighten up. although the first shop I worked at definitely did that.

oldpotatoe
03-01-2013, 07:14 AM

Well, the state of LBS of today. I install things sourced elsewhere all the time. No big deal, really. Do the same job regardless of if the stuff comes in or I source it. The difference is that if there's a mistake, wrong FD, for instance or any warranty, they are on their own to correct it.

Labor rates are the very best margin, BTW-I charge for my time, it works out well. BUT as was mentioned above by SGhost, I don't charge more if the person is a PITA..no future in that. I feel I 'won' when I put HIS money in MY cash register.

Jeff N.
03-01-2013, 07:37 AM
speaking of, where's a good spot online to get Campy groups at reasonable prices? especially mid level, like Athena.shinybikes.com cannot be beat. Best price, at your door in 5 days.

Gummee
03-01-2013, 08:10 AM

As a mechanic, I'm more'n happy to install the widget you just walked in the door with. ...for full pop labor costs. After all, I didn't have to order it, deal with shipping, unpacking, labeling, stocking, billing, etc.

Now, if you bring me in your widget AND expect a break on labor, there's issues.

If you buy said widget from the shop I'm working in, chances are you're going to get a break on the labor.

M

Vientomas
03-01-2013, 08:18 AM

If this attitude is pervasive in the LBS industry, it is no wonder things are in a bad state for the LBS. :eek:

soulspinner
03-01-2013, 08:20 AM
shinybikes.com cannot be beat. Best price, at your door in 5 days.

My experience too. Invoice in there, everything correct. Im ready to buy another Campy group in a few months. Shinybikes gets my $ again.

spaced_ghost
03-01-2013, 08:26 AM
If this attitude is pervasive in the LBS industry, it is no wonder things are in a bad state for the LBS. :eek:

I can't say if it is or if it isn't. out of the four shops I worked at, there was only one owner who did that, and he was a young guy with a bad attitude himself. I have noticed that a lot of bike shop owners who are otherwise great guys are pretty cranky and hard to deal with when it comes to the shop. I've always chalked it up to the poor profit margins, the current state of having to fight the online battle, etc. I actually try to avoid shops if I can for the most part these days for just that reason.

and again, I was mostly joking with that comment. if you notice the sentence before that one, I mentioned that I didn't, and I think most mechanics/owners don't, see it as frustrating to install things people buy online when it's clear that the person is just trying to save some money. Can't hate a person for trying to save their wallet in this economy. and as old potatoe mentioned, the profit margins on labor are higher than on parts anyway.

spaced_ghost
03-01-2013, 08:27 AM
My experience too. Invoice in there, everything correct. Im ready to buy another Campy group in a few months. Shinybikes gets my $ again.

good to know. will def be checking these guys out.

Jeff N.
03-01-2013, 09:34 AM
good to know. will def be checking these guys out.For price and reliable service, don't bother going anywhere else. Trust me on this. Jeff N.

bfd
03-01-2013, 10:43 AM
Well, the state of LBS of today. I install things sourced elsewhere all the time. No big deal, really. Do the same job regardless of if the stuff comes in or I source it. The difference is that if there's a mistake, wrong FD, for instance or any warranty, they are on their own to correct it.

Labor rates are the very best margin, BTW-I charge for my time, it works out well. BUT as was mentioned above by SGhost, I don't charge more if the person is a PITA..no future in that. I feel I 'won' when I put HIS money in MY cash register.

Agree, I don't understand the hostility either! My LBS, considered one of the best classic bike shops in the US, has no problem with customers bringing in their own parts sourced from the internet, used or whereever and putting it on a bike. The key as Peter said is he charges standard labor rates.

Last year, I picked up a very nice used ti frame. Brought in a box of parts and wheels, he installed everything. I was charged $150 labor plus I ended up buying the bar and stem from him. I thought it was worth it as the price included a fitting, which he is known for, and the bb shell had to be prepped. The only thing I had to do was turn my handlebar up a bit as I later wanted it higher. Thought it was money well spent and he got his labor rate.

As long as the LBS gets what he wants for labor, I don't see any problems.
:banana::bike::eek::butt::cool:

nooneline
03-01-2013, 11:30 AM
A good shop, like a good bar, knows the value of a buy-back. Loyal customers get breaks here and there, especially if they don't walk in to the shop asking to talk about Lance.

spaced_ghost
03-01-2013, 11:56 AM
a good shop, like a good bar, knows the value of a buy-back. Loyal customers get breaks here and there, especially if they don't walk in to the shop asking to talk about lance.

qft

Jaq
03-01-2013, 11:59 AM
I'll chime in for Campy, for one reason that I absolutely love: the thumb-lever. When I'm on the tops, it's a tiny reach with my pinkie to hit that thumb lever and drop out of my big ring, or to a smaller cog, without taking my hands off the bars. I find I do it most often while climbing, but occasionally on flats. It's a small thing, but I'd miss it terribly.

dd74
03-01-2013, 12:00 PM

Which is one reason why I'm an "LBS Nazi." :rolleyes:

zennmotion
03-01-2013, 12:02 PM
[ p r i m a l s c r e a m]

dd74
03-01-2013, 12:09 PM
I'll chime in for Campy, for one reason that I absolutely love: the thumb-lever. When I'm on the tops, it's a tiny reach with my pinkie to hit that thumb lever and drop out of my big ring, or to a smaller cog, without taking my hands off the bars. I find I do it most often while climbing, but occasionally on flats. It's a small thing, but I'd miss it terribly.
Yeah, and I really don't think it depends on how large or small someone's hand is. I always thought Shimano was geared for those with larger hands.

dancinkozmo
03-01-2013, 06:32 PM
qft

Quantum Field Theory ??

spaced_ghost
03-01-2013, 06:44 PM
ha, no, but that's better. "quoted for truth."

pdmtong
03-01-2013, 06:46 PM

i guess I am on the hoods too much - never thought about a pinkie shift!

Jaq
03-01-2013, 09:01 PM
The pinkie shift rocks. Almost as awesome as the knee-shift back in the D/T shifter days.

FlashUNC
03-01-2013, 09:09 PM
The pinkie shift rocks. Almost as awesome as the knee-shift back in the D/T shifter days.

The pinkie shift is outstanding.

54ny77
03-01-2013, 09:11 PM
http://thebsreport.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/drevil.jpg

The pinkie shift is outstanding.

Uncle Jam's Army
03-02-2013, 12:04 AM
http://thebsreport.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/drevil.jpg

That's such an eeeviiill shift!

Jeff N.
03-02-2013, 08:48 AM
Then why is it called a thumb lever, not a pinky lever:confused:

thirdgenbird
03-02-2013, 08:55 AM
Then why is it called a thumb lever, not a pinky lever:confused:

It's not. It is lever 3 :)

pdmtong
03-02-2013, 06:36 PM
I tried it today -ouch. you guys must be doing pinkie exercises for pinkie strength.

I'd rather just rotate my hands and use my thumb - but, will try again tomorrow.

ultraman6970
03-02-2013, 06:58 PM
OH this ones was nice... all the way down using the knees... felt like you had turned on turbo for the guy behind :)

choke
03-02-2013, 07:24 PM
I tried it today -ouch. you guys must be doing pinkie exercises for pinkie strength.

I'd rather just rotate my hands and use my thumb - but, will try again tomorrow.I've always used my ring finger.

buddybikes
03-03-2013, 08:55 AM
From what I have heard, front shifting on campy isn't quite up to level of smoothness of shimano. Would users here say it is true? I need to decide soon of going with 9000 or record for my new build.

Len J
03-03-2013, 09:01 AM
From what I have heard, front shifting on campy isn't quite up to level of smoothness of shimano. Would users here say it is true? I need to decide soon of going with 9000 or record for my new build.

I find them both similar.

Len

Black Dog
03-03-2013, 10:07 AM

Push lever chain moves up to the big ring fast. Push other lever, chain goes to small ring fast. This is campy and every other brand. They all work. There are other things to consider before you split these hairs. :rolleyes: Buy what feels best in your hands. Front shifting is such a non issue compared to the contact points and the feel and layout of the shift controls.

pbarry
03-03-2013, 10:51 AM

If you can live with the Tron inspired crank, then go for 9000. :)

SolidSnake03
03-03-2013, 12:27 PM
You say Tron inspired like it's a bad thing....

pbarry
03-03-2013, 12:37 PM
Naw, just not my taste, however, the film holds up well after 30 years.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3ODe9mqoDE

Jeff N.
03-03-2013, 02:51 PM
As the owner of bikes equipped with DA-9000 and Campy SR-11, my vote goes to Campagnolo. It just feels more precise, for lack of a better way to say it. Quieter, more precise, probably lighter. I used to be a Dura Ace guy all the way too. No more. DA-9000 is good. Campy SR-11, IMO, is better.

dd74
03-03-2013, 06:51 PM
I can't see how that would be a deciding factor, really. Campy overall is simply a better group set. Campy's front shifting, whether mechanical or electronic, is smooth enough, but more importantly, accurate (the chain doesn't fall off), which happened a few times to me with Dura Ace.

doomridesout
03-03-2013, 11:29 PM
If you're dropping your chain on any of the top end groupsets go back and set the FD up again. No reason you should bag on any of these companies-- they all make stuff that works best setup exactly to spec, and it all works pretty much great when it does. There's a real embarrassment of riches at the top end-- I don't really like SRAM but even the new Red is pretty impressive. There's a reason the pros don't split hairs about it when the sponsors change.

cfox
03-04-2013, 08:56 AM
I can't see how that would be a deciding factor, really. Campy overall is simply a better group set. Campy's front shifting, whether mechanical or electronic, is smooth enough, but more importantly, accurate (the chain doesn't fall off), which happened a few times to me with Dura Ace.

?? the above bolded statement sums ups nicely why these conversations are ridiculous.

It is silly to get religious about parts. They all work great. It's been said previously...buy which ever one looks best on your bike and whose hood shape you like. I have a Shimano bike and a Campy bike; both work great.

spaced_ghost
03-04-2013, 09:43 AM
I've finally come to the point of admitting that Sram hoods just don't work for my hands. I've tried everything. Different positions, different cable routings, different tape, gloves, different bars. it's too bad, I don't mind the shifting at all. except it'd be nice if the front shifter didn't require so much hand strength to shift up. but off to Shimano or Campy I go. any suggestions on which is better for very large hands? I put my hands on some new ultegra at a shop this weekend. not bad, not great. DA 7700 seems to fit well, but i'd prefer to not have the cables sticking out of the front of the shifters, and also to use a more updated group. Considering either Ultegra 6700 or Athena 11.

Jeff N.
03-04-2013, 09:54 AM
I've finally come to the point of admitting that Sram hoods just don't work for my hands. I've tried everything. Different positions, different cable routings, different tape, gloves, different bars. it's too bad, I don't mind the shifting at all. except it'd be nice if the front shifter didn't require so much hand strength to shift up. but off to Shimano or Campy I go. any suggestions on which is better for very large hands? I put my hands on some new ultegra at a shop this weekend. not bad, not great. DA 7700 seems to fit well, but i'd prefer to not have the cables sticking out of the front of the shifters, and also to use a more updated group. Considering either Ultegra 6700 or Athena 11.Athena-11 is simply an OUTSTANDING group and an outstanding value, especially in the all silver alloy configuration. Jeff N.

spaced_ghost
03-04-2013, 10:01 AM
Athena-11 is simply an OUTSTANDING group and an outstanding value, especially in the all silver alloy configuration. Jeff N.

how's the hood shape?

bluesea
03-04-2013, 11:10 AM
?? the above bolded statement sums ups nicely why these conversations are ridiculous.

It is silly to get religious about parts. They all work great. It's been said previously...buy which ever one looks best on your bike and whose hood shape you like. I have a Shimano bike and a Campy bike; both work great.

Lots of good firsthand comparisons, and underlying truth I see is its all theory till you actually have it on your bike.

Ithadan
03-04-2013, 11:15 AM
Is this really any different than a "recommend me a saddle" thread?

It's a subjective, personal decision. Either you prefer the ergonomics and actuation of one group or you don't, but only you know for sure.

All three are good, all three are light, it's about how you interface with the bike. You.

Jeff N.
03-04-2013, 12:28 PM
how's the hood shape?Excellent. Pretty much the exact same as Record, Chorus, Etc. Thump button is a bit smaller but other than that....

spaced_ghost
03-04-2013, 12:50 PM
I'm gonna start calling it the Thump Button now. seriously.

spaced_ghost
03-04-2013, 12:50 PM
and thanks. I think that'll have to be the group I replace with.

Jeff N.
03-04-2013, 02:07 PM
HA! (meant thumb...but you know that.)

spaced_ghost
03-05-2013, 07:02 AM
heh, yeah, I know. but Thump Button is more awesomer.