PDA

View Full Version : Lower back pain

DerekB
02-27-2013, 01:59 PM
Any general things to check on fit or posture for lower back pain?
My bike is a custom (made for me) Serotta, so I know it fits!
I am a little less in shape, it has been a rainy few weeks and after my 25 mile ride a couple days ago my back is pretty sore.
Thanks.

FastforaSlowGuy
02-27-2013, 02:03 PM
You may have answered your own question. I find that my perfect fit depends on how vigilant I've been about my fitness. If I'm good about doing some core exercises and stretching my legs/hips/back, then my fit is comfortable for hours on end. If I get a little lax on those things, then it's easy for my lower back to get tweaked. I've slipped a disc a few times, so my back is now uber sensitive to changes in position or my laying off the strength/stretch work.

ultraman6970
02-27-2013, 02:06 PM
Lower the stem like 3 or 5 mm, check the saddle if level.

zap
02-27-2013, 03:01 PM

Lengthen your stem, lower it 3-4cm, move your saddle back a cm.

really, just because it's a custom Serotta does not mean it fits properly.......and you proved it.

fuzzalow
02-27-2013, 03:44 PM
What to check for? Easy, a nice straight back while on the bike.

Somebody who knows fit could tell you in just a moment how decent your fit is on a bike by looking at you on it, less than a moment if they actually see the movement of your pedal stroke.

But as already mentioned, just 'cos it's a custom bike doesn't mean it can work flawlessly for you unless you know what you are doing with it and have dialed it in.

It is a somewhat laborious task to dial-in a bike, custom or otherwise. Much easier if the saddle & bars are the same from what you've used before, but still a minute, precision-based task. Lotta things to know. If you aren't sure what you need to know, then get help. Help not meaning help from the web by folks that repeat old wives tales and internet tips & tricks. Good luck.

veggieburger
02-27-2013, 03:53 PM
Lowering the stem and stretching out does NOT work for me. I recently switched my travel rig to a Nitto Dirt Drop stem w/rise, and life has been glorious. Seek professional (or even semi-professional) assistance on this one.

MattTuck
02-27-2013, 03:58 PM
There are really two potential issues.

1. Fit, as has been discussed.

2. Physiological, which was mentioned but deserves additional mention. I'm working my way through this book. (http://www.amazon.com/Tom-Danielsons-Core-Advantage-Strength/dp/193403097X) It is a good primer on the issues related to core strength and flexibility as they apply to cycling.

Good luck.

DerekB
02-27-2013, 04:50 PM
Thanks all. I have had this bike for 3 years (I should have mentioned that in my original post!). I seem to go through occasional fits of discomfort. About 6 months ago I had some saddle sores, then they went away with no change of seat or fit. As I mentioned, I have been on the bike a little less in the past few weeks. So it could be simply that. Or it could even be non bike but work related.
I checked my saddle; it is level. I moved it back a few millimeters; tomorrow I am riding with a guy I trust to ask to take a look.

Johnny P
02-27-2013, 04:53 PM
Consider doing yoga in addition to riding your bike. It's very good and helping one maintain or increase ones flexibility.
JP

false_Aest
02-27-2013, 05:47 PM
Any general things to check on fit or posture for lower back pain?
I am a little less in shape, it has been a rainy few weeks and after my 25 mile ride a couple days ago my back is pretty sore.
Thanks.

Yes! Check yourself, yo.

How fat are you?
How old are you?
How long since your last fitting?
Were you young, skinny and fit?
Do you do anything other than ride a bike?
What are you doing for your core?
Do you stretch? Static or dynamic?

Also, (take this with a little salt cuz there's not a huge amount of research on this) the most dramatic structural loss (muscle strength, firing, etc) happens between 10-28 days of non-activity. Somewhere between 6-20% (depending on age, fitness, etc). So a few weeks of non-riding can set you back significantly.

TheWolfsMouth
02-27-2013, 08:34 PM
work on strengthen your back muscles and core, other than cycling.

phcollard
02-27-2013, 09:13 PM
2. Physiological, which was mentioned but deserves additional mention. I'm working my way through this book. (http://www.amazon.com/Tom-Danielsons-Core-Advantage-Strength/dp/193403097X) It is a good primer on the issues related to core strength and flexibility as they apply to cycling.

That looks like a good book, thanks for the tip!

MattTuck
02-27-2013, 09:22 PM
Can you guys see this image? It is from the afformentioned book. Just to give you a taste.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c4eogx2cii9jbyk/IMAG0120.jpg

Louis
02-27-2013, 09:24 PM
Can you guys see this image?

No.

MattTuck
02-27-2013, 09:33 PM
hmmmm, ok, must be having problems with it.

If you want the image, PM me and I'll email it to you. Don't have the energy to solve this tonight.

Jack Brunk
02-27-2013, 10:28 PM
not do anything at this point. Ride a while, bear the pain and after a few rides you'll feel less pain. During the now period, work on your core strength and I bet things will work out.

idragen
02-27-2013, 10:52 PM
Definitely give it some more time. I'm still a new rider myself but I have noticed I have less aches and pains then when I first rode.

RkyMtn
02-27-2013, 10:55 PM
I hear you!

Best thing I did to relieve the onset of back pain while riding is doing sit-ups in the morning and a few before a ride. Gotta get your core strengthened.

I got one of those small ab balls to put under your back to increase the angle of your torso when moving back from a crunch and it is a very nice tool. You can get something from a toy store that will do the trick. Just have to have the right amount of air in the ball.

I do 2 sets of 15 crunches before I ride to tighten the core muscles and this seems to work well for me.

Also, as others have stated, go get refit just to be sure all is well.

Cheers!

Tandem Rider
02-28-2013, 08:13 AM
I have lower back pain when I ramp up my training and get lazy at the same time. Hamstrings. Went to a PT years ago, he gave me the silver bullet to fix it.

Lie on the floor, feet through a doorway. Skooch over til one leg goes up the wall. Move forward until the hammie starts to stretch, keeping the down leg flat on the floor. Hold for 1 minute. Repeat 3 times, do the other leg. Do twice a day until pain goes away, once a day afterwards.

DerekB
02-28-2013, 10:57 AM
Thanks Tandem Rider. That sounds like a great stretch. I will try it out today before my afternoon ride.

katematt
02-28-2013, 12:00 PM
+1 on the hammy work. It's done wonders for my lower back.

I agree with ^ ride through it and do some core work and some hammy stretches and you'll be good to go.

Louis
02-28-2013, 12:15 PM
I bought one of these - not very expensive, and it works well for various leg stretches.

http://www.optp.com/Stretch-Out-Strap/Stretching.aspx

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQS4u--HHsFx4yfOw-wa7wENHF8AU7x8wpypTjbFpfv_qIZyyTo

http://www.benbruno.com/wp/assets/STRETCH_STRAP-300x221.jpg

DerekB
02-28-2013, 04:03 PM
Just back from my ride, did the doorway stretch before and will do it again later. The dude I rode with also looked over my posture. He used to work at a certain custom builder up in Saratoga Springs.... He said I am simply too slow. No, really he suggested a faster pedal cadence in general. I tend to think I am a diesel truck and need to be more like a formula one car in terms of pedal rpms. So I will stretch more and pedal faster.
Thanks, dude.

Tandem Rider
02-28-2013, 04:10 PM
The stretch I am talking about looks kinda sorta like the one the model is doing in the ad above, just keep the leg not being stretched flat on the floor. The wall is a lot more steady than pulling on a strap. Go easy, be patient, you didn't get that tight in one day, you won't get flexible in one day either. Double your money back garonteeed.

cmg
02-28-2013, 04:12 PM
discover yoga, not p90x yoga but something not so aggressive.

Dude
03-04-2013, 08:40 PM
Hey DerekB, good ride the other day. What I said is that I'd want to see you slightly higher and on a 1cm longer stem. "Simply too low" doesn't make me sound smart enough ;) Also, work on riding in your small chainring. Next time we ride i'm taping your shifter paddle to the brake lever so you can't shift.

A quick note about back profile. An ideal back profile isn't necessarily a "flat back" but a neutral spine. Many people don't have flat spines that are neutral. To beat a dead horse, Lance Armstrong had a prominent hump in his upper back, that's how his spine naturally curved on teh bike and off the bike, so that is a neutral spine - to lance armstrong. There are many people who are fit correctly, that don't have a flat back. There are many people who are fit terribly that DO have a flat back.