PDA

View Full Version : DA 9000 cross compatibility?

FastforaSlowGuy
02-27-2013, 01:20 PM
This may have already been hashed out (in which case you may ignore my post or reply with heckling posts of your own), but has anybody tried out DA 9000 components with other groupsets? I've heard really good things about the new FD, and I'm curious if it will work with older versions of DA and/or Sram. They seem to have played around with the cable pull ratios, but I have a tough time making sense of all that.

AngryScientist
02-27-2013, 01:24 PM
i have heard that DA 9000 shifters shift campy-11 speed cassettes perfectly.

shovelhd
02-27-2013, 01:55 PM
nvm

vqdriver
02-27-2013, 02:48 PM
i have heard that DA 9000 shifters shift campy-11 speed cassettes perfectly.

Yes. That's my setup.

Re the FD, there's a couple threads re this online and I don't know that anyone's actually tried it. Reasoning is that the longer FD lever arm requires more cable pull. May want to try the new sram red yaw FD as another option.

Dave
02-27-2013, 03:28 PM
To be more specific, Campy and Shimano 11 speed cassettes have nearly identical cog spacing, so wheels with either cassette can be used with a matched-product drivetrain. There is no cross-compatibility between the shifters and rear derailleurs.

Joachim
02-27-2013, 03:35 PM
To be more specific, Campy and Shimano cassettes have nearly identical cog spacing, so wheels with either cassette can be used with a matched-product drivetrain. There is no cross-compatibility between the shifters and rear derailleurs.

So to be crystal, crystal, crystal clear...I can buy a 9000 groupset and use my Campy 11 speed wheels with Campy 11 speed cassette?

vqdriver
02-27-2013, 03:59 PM
So to be crystal, crystal, crystal clear...I can buy a 9000 groupset and use my Campy 11 speed wheels with Campy 11 speed cassette?

Yes

FastforaSlowGuy
02-27-2013, 04:03 PM
Yes

This is a beautiful thing.

oldpotatoe
02-28-2013, 07:26 AM
This may have already been hashed out (in which case you may ignore my post or reply with heckling posts of your own), but has anybody tried out DA 9000 components with other groupsets? I've heard really good things about the new FD, and I'm curious if it will work with older versions of DA and/or Sram. They seem to have played around with the cable pull ratios, but I have a tough time making sense of all that.

Haven't tried it but with a different routing of the cable in the 9000 front and rear der..over the bolt in the RD, under on FD, I doubt there is any compatibility with shimano 10s STI of any model.

For sram, just get a 7800 or 6700 FD and you are good to go. Makes front shifting 'normal'. 9000 FD ain't cheap, either, even if it did work.

rinconryder
02-28-2013, 12:05 PM
This is a beautiful thing.

+1. Wow. Could this be the end of wheel issues?

vqdriver
02-28-2013, 12:12 PM
re: the use of campy cassettes -
i think most of the people, myself included, who do this is to avoid the expense of buying a new wheelset when we have campy wheels sitting here. also, with DA being the only 11sp shimano available right now, cassettes are fairly pricey. i'm sure the cost will come down when ultegra (and eventually 105) get their extra cog. but for now, it was strictly a cost saving option which happens to work well.

i'd be curious if it works the other way as well, campy drivetrain with shimano wheels and cassette. i don't see why it wouldn't, but no one seems to be talking about that.

if the rear spacing is so crammed that campy and shimano 11sp have become necessarily the same, then i suppose that's good news.....