PDA

View Full Version : Any Crossfit folks here?

rugbysecondrow
02-27-2013, 08:14 AM
I started doing Crossfit in the fall and really have enjoyed it. My running has improved quite a bit, I lost weight, got stringer and my back and core is much stringer. I will start biking again in the next week, looking forward to seeing how cross training impacted that.

All that said, this is the first year I signed up for the Crossfit Open...anybody else on here do that? If so, it might be cool to track how we do during the competition.

Cheers ya'll

Paul

crownjewelwl
02-27-2013, 08:20 AM
i should try it cuz i too want to get stringer

rugbysecondrow
02-27-2013, 08:41 AM
Funny. iPhone and fat thumbs don't mix. :)

fiamme red
02-27-2013, 09:16 AM
I'm not interested in doing Crossfit. But even if I were, the rates are too high for me here in NYC, $200 a month.

I can join the local Olympic weightlifting gym (Lost Battalion Hall) for $150 a year.

rice rocket
02-27-2013, 09:39 AM
Yeah, I've heard a lot of horror stories about Crossfit.

If you're into group exercise and can manage the peer pressure, then I guess it's okay, but I've personally known 4 people who've quit because they've injured themselves doing it. I know this isn't universal, but there's too much emphasis on hammering out reps, and getting that "that last rep" in is soooo important, with zero regard to form. That's how injuries happen. I don't know any who does it anymore, oddly enough. And yeah, it's expensive, but that's pretty common with most instructor-led exercise.

Climb01742
02-27-2013, 09:47 AM
quite a few chiros and PTs and massage folks i know say that crossfit is the single biggest source of business for them. be careful. actually, beware.

Dude
02-27-2013, 09:54 AM
I've done 5 sessions and tweaked my knee and shied away. It is a great workout just not for me. Be sure to just focus on form and ignore some of the screaming.

I've switched to a platoon-type bootcamp. It's all body weight based and I've gotten stronger, stayed long and lean (weights always bulk me up) and helped my core/cardio. On any given day it is no less than at least 2 miles running (jogging and sprinting included), 100+ abs, 100+ pushups and a billion squat based exercises. All broken up over the course of the hour.

Lewis Moon
02-27-2013, 10:08 AM
Like any new exercise program, you can't dive in at the deep end and expect to do well. Unfortunately the human species wants instant acceleration/results/gratification.

On another note: Have you seen Mark Twight's Gym Jones stuff? Gym Jones (http://www.gymjones.com/)

..and he's racing bikes. Anyone who knows Twight will know why I'm watching this with popcorn.

Kirk Pacenti
02-27-2013, 10:12 AM
quite a few chiros and PTs and massage folks i know say that crossfit is the single biggest source of business for them. be careful. actually, beware.

I do a 'cross-fit-like' class once a week and keep telling my wife we have a greater chance of injury during the cross-fit class than any Spartan race we do.

Fwiw, I much prefer Pavel's work outs. Done correctly you get all the benefits (maybe more) with a much lower risk of injury... and as Pavel says, "without suffering the indignity of aerobics!" ;)

Cheers,
KP

rugbysecondrow
02-27-2013, 10:40 AM
I am not trying to convince anyone, it is not for all. My original post was to see if anybody was participating in the Crossfit Open, not to discuss the merits of whether it is good or bad.

I agree with some of the comments, except I don't think the symptons are related to Crossfit per sea any different than people buying bikes, not learning to ride or not getting them properly fit, is related to cycling. People who think they can drop into a Crossfit class just like jazercize, bootcamp or spinning and just get a work out are fooling themselves. The user has to take the time to learn, focus on form, technique, build up strength and form etc. Not doing this will hurt you, but it will hurt you regardless of the activities. Runners, cyclists and other folks quit their activities as well because they don't want to learn how to do it right and they develop injuries. How many people will say 'Running hurts my knees"? Is that the runners fault or the fault of the sport? Crossfit is no different IMO.

All that said, you have to find your type of place. I have been fortunate to find a group of folks who are supportive, encouraging and welcoming. Along wtih this, there is an emphasis on form and proper movement. They mandate basics or bridge classes to teach people how to move. If folks have mobility issues, then they focus on that before they even get to other exercises. I know not all establishments are the same. I will say that I have dropped into a few other Crossfit boxes while traveling and I have found the same sort of environment. Nothing like the Gold Gym, leather weight belt, prancing around mentality. Just folks wanting to learn and work hard.

It is expensive, mine is about $140 a month, but with the small classe sizes, personal interaction and personal training, and help with goal achievement...it seems worth it. I could join a cheaper gym, but if I paid for the same services there, it would surely cost more.

I am no kool-aid drinker, I don't own calf socks, I don't have a mohawk. I don't think this is the only way to work out, but it is a way that suits me. If it doesn't suit you, cool. It is funny though, I was at a party a few weeks ago and a buddy ask, "how come your waist is getting smaller and your shoulders keep getting bigger". I explained to him what I was doing and how I felt and 3 people that night signed up for the basics classes. One showed up to one class, the other two never did. You have to want to learn, work and progress regardless of the activity or you will not see results. I think you all would agree this applies to cycling as well.

Lots of folks can turn a pedal, but you have to train to be a cyclist.

rugbysecondrow
02-27-2013, 10:44 AM
I do a 'cross-fit-like' class once a week and keep telling my wife we have a greater chance of injury during the cross-fit class than any Spartan race we do.

Fwiw, I much prefer Pavel's work outs. Done correctly you get all the benefits (maybe more) with a much lower risk of injury... and as Pavel says, "without suffering the indignity of aerobics!" ;)

Cheers,
KP

I like Pavel's work as well. I train with kettlebells as well, wonderful tools which, IMO, best mirror how we function in daily life. What I don't like about them is that I but book A, but it tells me just enough to where I need to buy book B, and then book C. His DVDs are similar. I never feel like I get good value.

I took an RKC KB class. the 4 hour class focused on two things, the KB Swing and the Turkish Get-up. You have to want to learn though rather than just grabbing a KB and starting to swing it.

fiamme red
02-27-2013, 10:56 AM
I am not trying to convince anyone, it is not for all. My original post was to see if anybody was participating in the Crossfit Open, not to discuss the merits of whether it is good or bad.

I agree with some of the comments, except I don't think the symptons are related to Crossfit per sea any different than people buying bikes, not learning to ride or not getting them properly fit, is related to cycling. People who think they can drop into a Crossfit class just like jazercize, bootcamp or spinning and just get a work out are fooling themselves. The user has to take the time to learn, focus on form, technique, build up strength and form etc. Not doing this will hurt you, but it will hurt you regardless of the activities. Runners, cyclists and other folks quit their activities as well because they don't want to learn how to do it right and they develop injuries. How many people will say 'Running hurts my knees"? Is that the runners fault or the fault of the sport? Crossfit is no different IMO.I've seen videos of Crossfitters doing stupid things that carry a far higher risk of injury than running or cycling, e.g., kipping pull-ups, sumo deadlift high pulls, high-rep box jumps, high-rep deadlifts, high-rep Olympic lifts, etc.

yngpunk
02-27-2013, 11:02 AM

(stuff deleted)

All that said, you have to find your type of place. I have been fortunate to find a group of folks who are supportive, encouraging and welcoming. Along wtih this, there is an emphasis on form and proper movement. They mandate basics or bridge classes to teach people how to move. If folks have mobility issues, then they focus on that before they even get to other exercises. I know not all establishments are the same. I will say that I have dropped into a few other Crossfit boxes while traveling and I have found the same sort of environment. Nothing like the Gold Gym, leather weight belt, prancing around mentality. Just folks wanting to learn and work hard.

(stuff deleted)

..., I don't own calf socks, ...

I participate in Crossfit, but don't plan on signingn up for the open, mainly because I don't want to see my self at the bottom of the rankings :)

+1 on your advice on finding your type of place. Not all Crossfit gyms are the same, and given the proliferation of Crossfit, it seems that gyms are popping up on every block, so you have to find one that works for you. Not all yoga/spin/aerobics/what not classes and teachers are the same, even though they may all teach the same movements.

As for calf socks (rather knee socks), I find them invaluable for dead lifts and rope climbing, but I suspect your fear has to do more with looking like Lance wearing compression socks :banana:

rugbysecondrow
02-27-2013, 11:15 AM
I've seen videos of Crossfitters doing stupid things that carry a far higher risk of injury than running or cycling, e.g., kipping pull-ups, sumo deadlift high pulls, high-rep box jumps, high-rep deadlifts, high-rep Olympic lifts, etc.

If you are looking for stupid, you will find it, regardless of the activity.

I am not going to argue the merits of the exercises you mention, but will say, again, with proper form the liklihood of injury decreases significantly. So does stretching and devleping mobility.

false_Aest
02-27-2013, 11:32 AM
1) Choose your X-Fit gym wisely. Yeah, they're certified but just like a personal trainer that doesn't mean ****. Anyone who coaches you in dead lift should be able to tell you WHY the bar should bisect your foot... not just tell you to do it. Same thing for bar position on your back when you're squatting.

2) WOD are awesome until you get rhabdomyolysis. That hot chick next to you doing 2x burpees and snatching 3x your body weight has gotten there slowly. Check your ego at the door.

3) Kipping is not a pull-up. Kipping ≠ bragging rights.

4) It's not polite to stare. Do it and a lady will call you out on it... then she'll squat you.

5) In x-fit some people confused good pain with bad pain. I don't know how or why but they do. Don't confuse them.

6) Do x-fit. Do not become a x-fit evangelist . . . its freaking annoying.

7) HTFU

8) enjoy

rugbysecondrow
02-27-2013, 11:36 AM
1) Choose your X-Fit gym wisely. Yeah, they're certified but just like a personal trainer that doesn't mean ****. Anyone who coaches you in dead lift should be able to tell you WHY the bar should bisect your foot... not just tell you to do it. Same thing for bar position on your back when you're squatting.

2) WOD are awesome until you get rhabdomyolysis. That hot chick next to you doing 2x burpees and snatching 3x your body weight has gotten there slowly. Check your ego at the door.

3) Kipping is not a pull-up. Kipping ≠ bragging rights.

4) It's not polite to stare. Do it and a lady will call you out on it... then she'll squat you.

5) In x-fit some people confused good pain with bad pain. I don't know how or why but they do. Don't confuse them.

6) Do x-fit. Do not become a x-fit evangelist . . . its freaking annoying.
7) HTFU
8) enjoy

Yes, you get it. Whatever it is that gets you up and going, enjoy it.

Cheers

firerescuefin
02-27-2013, 11:45 AM
If you are looking for stupid, you will find it, regardless of the activity.I am not going to argue the merits of the exercises you mention, but will say, again, with proper form the liklihood of injury decreases significantly. So does stretching and devleping mobility.

Ding Ding...Good thread Paul.

I got "into" Crossfit in 2002....went to a certification class...because it was the first type of workout that replicated the type of exhaustion and movement patterns I had experienced on the fireground...and in firefighter based competitions. It teaches you how to suffer and persevere through that suffering IMO, which I not only enjoyed in some sick way, but saw real value in...and many of the exercises had real world applications for me and my coworkers.

All of the fadish workouts P-90X, Insanity...etc. are derivatives of Crossfit. The problem with Crossfit or any workout potentially IMO...is when the workout becomes the ends...My 1 rep maximum needs to be X or X+...instead of my workout should increase my overall level of fitness which translates to a better quality of life for me (Injury Prevention, Confidence with Day to Day activities, Ability to really enjoy life/athletic activity outside of the 9-5). Many fire departments have gotten away from it because they were adopting it whole heartedly without proper assessment and instruction and were really jacking some 30/40 something guys up. Your kinetic chain better be functioning properly if your going to Crossfit. Kettlebells are awesome too....with the proper instruction.

All of this to say I agree pretty much with everything Paul has written here. There are some wonderful concepts and things to learn from Crossfit. To this day my workouts use Crossfit principals throughout...even if they aren't pure Crossfit workouts...though there are a few of those that I still use to assess my own fitness. If you are truly interested, shop around for a gym...interview/assess the instructors...and be honest with yourself regarding what you bring to the table (prior injuries) before you jump right in.

weiwentg
02-27-2013, 12:37 PM
Whatever your opinion about Crossfit, I think people who only cycle lack core strength. You can cycle for hours and hours because it isolates and works just the large muscles in your legs and glutes ... but that means that all the little core muscles you never knew you had grow weaker.

I tried Crossfit once. I think I might like it, but I am putting the wife through her masters program, so money's a bit tight.

Dude
02-27-2013, 12:52 PM
@rugbysecondrow

I'm not going to Crossfit Open.

jvp
02-27-2013, 01:22 PM
I drove by a crossfit center once, they were outside flipping a giant tractor rear tire over and over...all I could think of was why not put these people to work, landscaping or moving heavy inventory, etc., make them pay to work for you!
Between road and mtn. biking, and rock climbing, all I have time leftover for is resting.

gavingould
02-27-2013, 02:46 PM
i did a crossfit 'bootcamp' - 4 days a week for 4 weeks. it was meant to be entry level, and it showed (lots of repetition on same basic exercises)
did i get in better shape? absolutely. did it encourage me to join a crossfit gym? no, but i did learn some simple things i can do at home with zero equipment.

i've also gone to a small group class/personal trainer who is a cyclist. he uses some elements of crossfit, some russian kettlebell stuff. mainly you gain overall body fitness and greatly increased core strength.

i'll probably go back and do another program at his shop as he's a lot more in tune with what my goals are as a cyclist (does several programs oriented to cyclists) and he knows how to motivate people in the right way.

giverdada
02-28-2013, 06:57 PM
I drove by a crossfit center once, they were outside flipping a giant tractor rear tire over and over...all I could think of was why not put these people to work, landscaping or moving heavy inventory, etc., make them pay to work for you!
Between road and mtn. biking, and rock climbing, all I have time leftover for is resting.

Honestly, man, this has been my thought forever. Especially when I'm sitting on the trainer, it's minus 40 outside, and I'm paying through the nose for my electricity and heat - why doesn't my trainer power my dryer or water heater? Why don't gyms hook up generators to every resistance thing they can, particularly ergs, treadmills, and stationary bikes??? This could probably make a lot of gyms 'green', and maybe even make cash.

Sometimes, it's a little too obvious how much my outlook is influenced by childhood exposure to Conan movies...Wheel of Pain anyone?

Rueda Tropical
02-28-2013, 07:17 PM
Depends on what your are looking fore. Crossfit is a bit like racing. If you are competing at that level you will sooner or later get hurt. Not a question of if just when. There are a lot of Crossfitters who enjoy it in the way athletes enjoy competing at a high intense level od whatever sport. It's about more then just fitness, which is why they have Crossfit competitions.

If all you are looking for is fitness there are ways to do that with a much lower likely hood of injury. As a matter of fact it's possible to have an exercise routine that carries no more risk of injury then walking around.

CDM
03-07-2013, 08:52 AM
Masters 51 yrs. 100 reps at 9:03. Next snatch @ 135 too heavy for me!

CDM
03-07-2013, 09:17 AM
Actually 6 20 time to complete 30 snatches

jblande
03-07-2013, 09:18 AM
the 135 lbs snatch was my limit too. kinda sad.

i have had excellent experience with cross fit, but it ahas tested my patience. it is perhaps important not to treat it as a competition, but instead as a multi-year development.

keeps me challenged and motivated.

insanely expensive in my view. will probably have to quit because of that at some point.

rugbysecondrow
03-07-2013, 09:44 AM
Oddly enough, I ran 10 miles last weekend and didn't stretch properly before or after and my back has been sore since. It is funny, I am not old, but I am old enough that I need to pay attention to my stretching routine. I know this, but i guess I still think I am younger at times. :)

No weights this week, just stretching, walking and body exercises. Saturday will be fun though. Will report back.

jblande
03-07-2013, 11:48 AM
I am no kool-aid drinker, I don't own calf socks, I don't have a mohawk.

I am not a kool-aid drinker and I don't have a mohawk. However, I would not mind getting a pair of calf socks. Every time there is a WOD with olympic barbell movements from the floor, my calves are bloodied. Annoying.

DukeHorn
03-07-2013, 12:04 PM
I get free Crossfit at my rock-climbing gym. Sort of fun but between cycling/climbing/dog walking/random runs, it's hard to add on another set of activities. Barely did a Murphy and figured that was it, especially at my age.

Likes2ridefar
03-07-2013, 12:10 PM
in your opinion are there any extra benefits of something like cross fit vs a very strict regime of pushups and situps and riding a bike/running etc...all of which dont require a membership or fee.

Just curious...I've been doing that fun 100 pushups and situps program since December and must admit I find myself staring in the mirror more often as I progress.:fight:

Pretty amazing what a basic pushup and situp can do. I was a weight weenie racer and was pathetically weak pretty much everywhere I've discovered. amazing what 3 years of dedicated racing will do to the body!

the first test I could do 17 pushups in a row now I'm doing about 400 pushups a week.

jblande
03-07-2013, 12:30 PM
I would say that push-ups and sit-ups are one component of the variegated repertoire of strength, speed and gymnastics exercises that crossfit includes.

it is very challenging and different every day. i have seen significant improvements in my fitness. i have also noticed the physically manifest improvements that can have my wife make fun of me for staring into narcissus' pool.

DukeHorn
03-07-2013, 12:48 PM
I'd say that Crossfit adds a level of "explosiveness" to the repetoire since you're usually bouncing between two to four different types of exercises at 80% or higher exertion. I'll compare it somewhat to the differences between rope climbing (pushups/situps/pacing yourself) and bouldering (dynamic moves).

There is a push yourself aspect to the classes which could be positive or negative. I found myself trying to keep up with guys 20 years younger and it definitely wiped me out as a pre-work exercise routine. I was just too tired at work after an early morning Crossfit class to continue.

rugbysecondrow
03-09-2013, 02:43 PM
the 135 lbs snatch was my limit too. kinda sad.

i have had excellent experience with cross fit, but it ahas tested my patience. it is perhaps important not to treat it as a competition, but instead as a multi-year development.

keeps me challenged and motivated.

insanely expensive in my view. will probably have to quit because of that at some point.

114 was my number. I had plenty left for the 135, but I took it easier on the burpees to ensure I had enough energy to do the snatch. Maybe should have pushed it a little harder, but that was my strategy. Based on how my back was feeling, I am good with 114. 6:33 was my first round time.

Live to fight another day, on to next week.

CDM
03-09-2013, 04:44 PM
Nice job. 135 lb snatch is no joke! What group are you in? If you dont mind me asking?;)

rugbysecondrow
03-09-2013, 07:40 PM
Nice job. 135 lb snatch is no joke! What group are you in? If you dont mind me asking?;)

I am 35 years old, whatever group that is. Hopefully this week is better. Burpees are harder than the weight for me.

jvp
03-11-2013, 06:14 AM
Just as I suspected, they are putting them to work: http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/03/10/2740166/home-sweet-sty.html

jh_on_the_cape
03-11-2013, 07:02 AM
A buddy of mine is very into doing crossfit in his home gym looking at crossfit.com

Like many others, I am looking to do something beyond cycling and running to round out my fitness, and to extend the life of my knees.

I am swimming Masters which is great but the schedule is rough.

Can anyone recommend something to someone looking for a self-guided fitness program I could do in the gym?
Something like the marathon training program, but for general core fitness/strength/flexibility. Right now I am just bumbling in the gym: doing the warm up I learned in a pilates course, some time on the stationary bike, then some deep-front squat to shoulder press kind of stuff.

I did the 100 pushups thing a few years back, maybe I will do that again. I found that was awesome for one thing: being able to do lots of pushups! Not much else (flexibility, etc)

I need something self-guided so I can just go to the gym and do it using the 5 and 10 pound dumbells. Something online to tell me what to do (reps, etc) so I don't dog it.

Good luck with your crossfit experience! From reading this thread: don't get hurt! That is what has convinced me to go beyond running.

Likes2ridefar
03-11-2013, 07:16 AM
A buddy of mine is very into doing crossfit in his home gym looking at crossfit.com

Like many others, I am looking to do something beyond cycling and running to round out my fitness, and to extend the life of my knees.

I am swimming Masters which is great but the schedule is rough.

Can anyone recommend something to someone looking for a self-guided fitness program I could do in the gym?
Something like the marathon training program, but for general core fitness/strength/flexibility. Right now I am just bumbling in the gym: doing the warm up I learned in a pilates course, some time on the stationary bike, then some deep-front squat to shoulder press kind of stuff.

I did the 100 pushups thing a few years back, maybe I will do that again. I found that was awesome for one thing: being able to do lots of pushups! Not much else (flexibility, etc)

I need something self-guided so I can just go to the gym and do it using the 5 and 10 pound dumbells. Something online to tell me what to do (reps, etc) so I don't dog it.

Good luck with your crossfit experience! From reading this thread: don't get hurt! That is what has convinced me to go beyond running.

If you want to avoid the gym all together like I do...

The pushups have certainly made me significantly stronger that I notice more in my mountain pursuits (summits/winter backpacking, etc) as I get stronger than i do on the bike. I do the pushups in the evening after I commute home on the bike. In the morning I do the same thing with situps.

both i'm doing simply every other day.

I find the two exercises are too demanding to do at the same time but an 8 to 12 hour break is enough.

Every morning when I first awake I hand grind my coffee then start the water and while that's going and while pouring the coffee through my chemex a few times, I do a 15-20 minute hybrid yoga routine, taking, for me, what seems to be the best of both worlds of stretching and yoga. I don't do any of the strength oriented moves and focus primarily on active stretching from head to toe.

i commute daily via bike, one way being about 45 minutes, and now that there is more light will start adding about 1.5 hours extra after work two or three days a week. weekends I'm usually doing something active, endurance oriented...most recently it's long distance peak bagging in the adirondacks during the winter.

I think without the weekend endurance activities I'd have to watch what I eat, but basically with that regiment I dont worry about the calories and I'm losing fat and gaining muscle eating high calorie pretty decadent meals and not shying away from beer and wine:)

jh_on_the_cape
03-11-2013, 07:27 AM
That sounds awesome! I have a bunch of small children so need to find time to balance it all out.
You live in Manhattan and commute 45 minutes by bike?

If you want to avoid the gym all together like I do...

The pushups have certainly made me significantly stronger that I notice more in my mountain pursuits (summits/winter backpacking, etc) as I get stronger than i do on the bike. I do the pushups in the evening after I commute home on the bike. In the morning I do the same thing with situps.

both i'm doing simply every other day.

I find the two exercises are too demanding to do at the same time but an 8 to 12 hour break is enough.

Every morning when I first awake I hand grind my coffee then start the water and while that's going and while pouring the coffee through my chemex a few times, I do a 15-20 minute hybrid yoga routine, taking, for me, what seems to be the best of both worlds of stretching and yoga. I don't do any of the strength oriented moves and focus primarily on active stretching from head to toe.

i commute daily via bike, one way being about 45 minutes, and now that there is more light will start adding about 1.5 hours extra after work two or three days a week. weekends I'm usually doing something active, endurance oriented...most recently it's long distance peak bagging in the adirondacks during the winter.

I think without the weekend endurance activities I'd have to watch what I eat, but basically with that regiment I dont worry about the calories and I'm losing fat and gaining muscle eating high calorie pretty decadent meals and not shying away from beer and wine:)

Likes2ridefar
03-11-2013, 07:40 AM
That sounds awesome! I have a bunch of small children so need to find time to balance it all out.
You live in Manhattan and commute 45 minutes by bike?

Yes, I live slightly north of the GWB and ride down to 14th street. it's about 10-11 miles one way.

I noticed a significant increase in hunger when I added the pushups routine to my daily cycling commute.

The peak bagging takes it to another level though but I only do that once or twice a month. It's similar to doing a 100 mile mountain bike race, I think, and for 4 or 5 days after a weekend pursuit I definitely feel it and eat everything in sight...which is pretty much my favorite thing to do in the world. I love good food:)

But I assume most here, like me, want to remain fit so I have to balance it out.

It's probably a pipe dream, but we shall see if i make it, but I'd really like to be able to do 100 pushups in a row.

did you ever make it? I'm really struggling in the 4th week day 1 with the brief 60 second breaks. It's going to be awhile till I pass it and move on to day 2. the last set asks for 32 or so pushups and I think I did 18 on Saturday. Shall see how today goes!

I started at 17 in December, the last test about a month ago I did 30 something. Now I can probably do about 50 in a row.

jh_on_the_cape
03-11-2013, 09:55 AM
I never made it to 100. Most people (friends and reading online) find that at week 5 or so it just gets impossible. I think it ramps up too fast at some point.
When I got to that point I just kept repeating the same week for a few weeks to see if I could get over the hump, but never did. Then I lost interest.

Have you ever done a 100 mile mountain bike race?? I have done a 50 mile and a 100k...

Yes, I live slightly north of the GWB and ride down to 14th street. it's about 10-11 miles one way.

I noticed a significant increase in hunger when I added the pushups routine to my daily cycling commute.

The peak bagging takes it to another level though but I only do that once or twice a month. It's similar to doing a 100 mile mountain bike race, I think, and for 4 or 5 days after a weekend pursuit I definitely feel it and eat everything in sight...which is pretty much my favorite thing to do in the world. I love good food:)

But I assume most here, like me, want to remain fit so I have to balance it out.

It's probably a pipe dream, but we shall see if i make it, but I'd really like to be able to do 100 pushups in a row.

did you ever make it? I'm really struggling in the 4th week day 1 with the brief 60 second breaks. It's going to be awhile till I pass it and move on to day 2. the last set asks for 32 or so pushups and I think I did 18 on Saturday. Shall see how today goes!

I started at 17 in December, the last test about a month ago I did 30 something. Now I can probably do about 50 in a row.

Likes2ridefar
03-11-2013, 10:04 AM
I never made it to 100. Most people (friends and reading online) find that at week 5 or so it just gets impossible. I think it ramps up too fast at some point.
When I got to that point I just kept repeating the same week for a few weeks to see if I could get over the hump, but never did. Then I lost interest.

Have you ever done a 100 mile mountain bike race?? I have done a 50 mile and a 100k...

For me it's the Mondays that take a long time to get through. I've been repeating the same day I fail until I pass and not the week. Perhaps that is working better for me? I spent 2-3 weeks trying to get past a few of the days, religiously repeating the same exercise every 2 days. A lot of grumbling about the # of pushups required, and huffing and puffing, but so far I've eventually made it through.

I've done maybe 10 or so 100 mile or longer MTB races. My longest is 142 miles with 20,000ft of climbing in the desert of UT and CO. I've always done them on a single speed 29er or 'cross bike. I'd like to do more this year but not sure I'll find the time to train so I'm competitive as I plan on playing in the mountains a lot more this year now that I no longer race on the road. A goal is to summit Mt Rainier in September.

rugbysecondrow
03-14-2013, 09:11 AM
230 reps today. Felt pretty good considering our workout last night happend to also involve 115# Push Press and DL. I am going to do it again on Sat to see if I can squeeze out a few more.

Good Times!

rugbysecondrow
03-16-2013, 04:17 PM
Did it again today and got 270...that was one hell of a burner. Anybody else do it?