PDA

View Full Version : White Roads (I'd like to file a complaint)

MattTuck
02-26-2013, 05:24 PM
as I don't seem to be getting the kind I'd like.

The kind I'm getting.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-U9yaFwTM3UM/US1Cv-KtfII/AAAAAAAACfg/RD6MmT21aIc/s902/weather2.png

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-y7ifiP2EVOA/US1CvzIIT4I/AAAAAAAACfc/p3zTW_f1Wpo/s902/Weather.png

The kind I want.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_atrK-jBKJKY/TTdUOw2_aCI/AAAAAAAAOlw/N0czgZPYibM/s1600/mp1s.jpg

http://cdn4.media.cyclingnews.futurecdn.net/2012/11/30/1/eroica_670.jpg

thwart
02-26-2013, 07:05 PM
On the bright side, no worries about dust... ;) :D

Same storm is here presently. 30-40 mph wind and snow, for a nice mix.

Gummee
02-26-2013, 07:11 PM
We got rain.

I looked at the radar map, saw some pink moving towards me and decided to go out anyway. Got 30min in to a 2hr ride and it starts to rain.

Well... I'm dressed in Gore Tex, may as well keep going.

No dirt roads tho.

M

4Rings6Stars
02-26-2013, 08:01 PM
Move...I would if my fiance's family wasn't here (evil thoughts now floating around in my head....)

Ralph
02-26-2013, 08:23 PM
Come on down. Perfect weather 7-8 months of the year.....the rest of the time you just get out early, then live in pool the rest of the day. Good riding here. it's not all Disney, beaches, swamps, and sand hills covered in scrub.

Up around Gainesville area, just looking at the terrain, most folks would have a tough time believing they were in Florida. Looks a lot like any other place in USA except mountains. Except for the nice weather of course. Jobs.....that's a problem. But living is cheap. No state income tax etc. Cheap housing.

I came down 40 years ago. Never been sorry.

dancinkozmo
02-26-2013, 09:09 PM
yeah, but its........ florida.

rounder
02-26-2013, 09:19 PM
Think Spring. Four more weeks. Days are getting longer, not as much wind, salt is gone from the roads, you don't have to wear so many clothes, people are friendlier...can't wait.

alessandro
02-26-2013, 09:38 PM
Dude, I feel your pain. I haven't touched my bike in eight weeks--roads are still too salty. But variety is the spice, and it's February... and when the weather gods are set to give you yet ANOTHER big dump, there are ways to take advantage:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8101/8497064832_340f4a3275_b.jpg

Not my pic.

thwart
02-26-2013, 09:43 PM
Think Spring. Four more weeks. Days are getting longer, not as much wind, salt is gone from the roads, you don't have to wear so many clothes, people are friendlier...can't wait.Yep, this year Spring is going to be like make-up sex.

And, no, you can't do that in Florida...

MattTuck
02-26-2013, 10:31 PM
Dude, I feel your pain. I haven't touched my bike in eight weeks--roads are still too salty. But variety is the spice, and it's February... and when the weather gods are set to give you yet ANOTHER big dump, there are ways to take advantage:

I totally hear you! I hope to get out and snow shoe. I used to downhill ski, but hung it up after I got fed up with costs. I'm not sure what the $ / time spent is for various sports is, but I'd guess skiing is up there.

My rough guess would be:

Yachting
Skiing
Golf
Cycling
Running

Jack Brunk
02-26-2013, 10:53 PM
should plant some panzies. Geez some of us have winter too....

Is that snow?

bart998
02-27-2013, 01:48 AM
Come on down. Perfect weather 7-8 months of the year.....the rest of the time you just get out early, then live in pool the rest of the day. Good riding here. it's not all Disney, beaches, swamps, and sand hills covered in scrub.

Up around Gainesville area, just looking at the terrain, most folks would have a tough time believing they were in Florida. Looks a lot like any other place in USA except mountains. Except for the nice weather of course. Jobs.....that's a problem. But living is cheap. No state income tax etc. Cheap housing.

California.... it's like Florida with mountains and without humidity or gators.

gemship
02-27-2013, 02:58 AM

Ralph I think you inspired me, well it doesn't take too much. Just how depressing is the job situation where you are?

gemship
02-27-2013, 02:59 AM

Yeah but what about work and can you buy a house with 50k and do you have the same taxes to pay?

Ralph
02-27-2013, 06:28 AM
Ralph I think you inspired me, well it doesn't take too much. Just how depressing is the job situation where you are?

I live on N side of Orlando, Fl, area. 2-3 million people area. About an hour drive to the beach. While still somewhat depressed, economy and housing coming back. Had my career here, retired 14 years ago, still live here. Cycling good, lots of people on bikes, local governments involved in turning old railroad beds to trails, so lots of ways to get out into rural area.

If I were moving to Florida from outside the area, and job not a consideration, would not move to where there are so many people. N of here, and more rural is where I would go. Find a 3/2 house with pool and 3 car garage for $200,000-250,000, no state income taxes, taxes on the house I just mentioned probably $2500-$3000 per year. Then when I feel the need to see snow......I just get in my car and drive N until I find it.....which is not very often LOL.

I've been about everywhere in USA. Every place has a good climate most of the year. The question to me is....do I prefer the 3-4 months of bad climate be hot.....or cold? The answer for me is I can stay comfortable in hot humid weather a few months easier than I can stay warm and comfortable in wet, damp, rainy and snowy weather a few months. I can ride here in August at 7 AM, sweat some for a few hours, then come home and jump in pool. I can handle that.

djg
02-27-2013, 06:47 AM

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8101/8497064832_340f4a3275_b.jpg

Not my pic.

Nice pow shot. Friday morning bright and early I'm gettin' on a plane. Should land in SLC at about 10. Should be at Alta by 11:30 or so, depending on the line at the rental car place.

c-record
02-27-2013, 09:56 AM
I wish we had a storm for you. It's looking kinda dry right now. 1-2" on the mountain each morning is all.

Nice pow shot. Friday morning bright and early I'm gettin' on a plane. Should land in SLC at about 10. Should be at Alta by 11:30 or so, depending on the line at the rental car place.

merlinmurph
02-27-2013, 11:10 AM
My rough guess would be:

Yachting
Skiing
Golf
Cycling
Running

Nah, you can ski and do it reasonably. I used to ski every weekend from T-day thru April and I had little money. You just decide it's something you want to do and do it. We still ski regularly. It's better if you commit to every weekend, then you can get a pass and line up a cheap place to stay. You can join a club, join a ski house share - there are ways. Is it cheap? I don't think anybody can call it cheap, but it can be done reasonably.

Nobody would think twice if some working-class guy told them he had season tix to the Sox/Patriots/Celts/Bruins, yet skiing comes off as expensive.

No argument with boating...

Enjoy your ride,
Murph

alessandro
02-27-2013, 01:31 PM
Alternatives to paying $$ for downhill skiing:

1. Get alpine touring gear--earn your turns, man. This comes under the category of One Can Never Have Enough Gear. :beer:

2. Go X-C skiing. Nordic is a good cardio workout, nice to be outside in the wintertime, away from the crowds, heavy gear, mechanized mountainsides.:)

3. Get light touring gear: Wider waxless nordic skis with fishscales and metal edges = fun in the rolling terrain. I have as many days this year on this kind of gear as I do at the resort on alpine skis & boots. I'm improving, but I still can't really make a telemark turn in leather 3-pin boots. What's wanted are two-buckle plastic boots; see #1 above. :beer: :)

spiderman
02-27-2013, 07:43 PM
And complete treachery another...
The hoarfrost this week
Has made the morning riding
Irresistible!

likebikes
02-27-2013, 08:25 PM
you live in northern new england and your're complaining about snow in february?!

spaced_ghost
02-27-2013, 10:46 PM

you forgot about Florida Man:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8523/8514120803_bf84e9c9e7_b.jpg

more here: https://twitter.com/_FloridaMan

gemship
02-27-2013, 11:50 PM
I live on N side of Orlando, Fl, area. 2-3 million people area. About an hour drive to the beach. While still somewhat depressed, economy and housing coming back. Had my career here, retired 14 years ago, still live here. Cycling good, lots of people on bikes, local governments involved in turning old railroad beds to trails, so lots of ways to get out into rural area.

If I were moving to Florida from outside the area, and job not a consideration, would not move to where there are so many people. N of here, and more rural is where I would go. Find a 3/2 house with pool and 3 car garage for $200,000-250,000, no state income taxes, taxes on the house I just mentioned probably $2500-$3000 per year. Then when I feel the need to see snow......I just get in my car and drive N until I find it.....which is not very often LOL.

I've been about everywhere in USA. Every place has a good climate most of the year. The question to me is....do I prefer the 3-4 months of bad climate be hot.....or cold? The answer for me is I can stay comfortable in hot humid weather a few months easier than I can stay warm and comfortable in wet, damp, rainy and snowy weather a few months. I can ride here in August at 7 AM, sweat some for a few hours, then come home and jump in pool. I can handle that.

Sounds fabulous. I like your suggestion regarding real estate. A value for sure compared to what is out there where I live in Ma. So my step father and I understandably have these conversations about the cheaper places under 100k and even at around 35k-50k. He's down there now with mom visiting my grandparents in St. Pete and his brother in Holiday. I'm sure he'll be checking the real estate values. Honestly I am blown away by the cheap deals of distressed properties and they are more in my price range but I could totally see the cons being in a more dangerous area or higher unemployment.

Ralph
02-28-2013, 06:37 AM
I think those under 100K housing deals long gone. Maybe a double wide park still has those deals. Which BTW is not a bad way to live. Little maintenance and many have community pool. Boat dock also if near the water.

I don't live in in a retirement area. Have 30 large oak trees in my yard. My community looks little different than most of US. People have this tourist idea of what Florida looks like. That's maybe 5%. More than 1/2 the year our humidity is in the 50% range. Same as rest of US.

As I said above. I've been about everywhere in US at different times of year. I think living can be good about everywhere if career is good, family life good, health good, etc. But if I have a choice, I do prefer winters to be warm.

tele
02-28-2013, 07:27 AM
Alternatives to paying $$ for downhill skiing:

1. Get alpine touring gear--earn your turns, man. This comes under the category of One Can Never Have Enough Gear. :beer:

2. Go X-C skiing. Nordic is a good cardio workout, nice to be outside in the wintertime, away from the crowds, heavy gear, mechanized mountainsides.:)

3. Get light touring gear: Wider waxless nordic skis with fishscales and metal edges = fun in the rolling terrain. I have as many days this year on this kind of gear as I do at the resort on alpine skis & boots. I'm improving, but I still can't really make a telemark turn in leather 3-pin boots. What's wanted are two-buckle plastic boots; see #1 above. :beer: :)

I've got 2 setups to maximize productivity and minimize cost: tele skis with skins: enough for resort skiing and backcountry. T2 boots are enough for me for both worlds as well--enough for my beer league racing as well. Setup #2 are cheap fish scales xc skis I got at a swap. They re fun and versatile.

However, I havent ridden outside since November and I'm feeling like a Xmas pig but this winter has been pretty damn good so far, and only getting better.

alessandro
02-28-2013, 11:31 AM
...this winter has been pretty damn good so far, and only getting better.

That's the spirit!

Matt, if it's white roads you're wanting, at times like this, I ask myself, WWTKD? Ted King would ride Upper Valley gravel:

http://www.iamtedking.com/2012/04/open-your-mind-ride-dirt/

spiderman
02-28-2013, 09:31 PM
...Is the only thing between your tire and a sheet of ice!