PDA

View Full Version : Do you need to bleed hydraulic brakes when shortening the cable?

Llewellyn
02-26-2013, 08:38 AM
The cables for the hydraulic disc brakes on my commuter have always been quite long, but having recently trimmed a bit off of each end of the bars to get better handling, they are now quite a bit longer than they need to be.

Having done a bit of reading on the net, opinions seem to range from it being quite an easy job that just involves detaching the hose, holding it up in the air while you cut the hose and re-attaching, to it being quite a difficult job requiring bleeding the brakes etc.

So which is it - can I get away with the cable in the air and cut approach, or is it more involved than that?

Mr Cabletwitch
02-26-2013, 08:40 AM
Yes you need to bleed the brakes after you cut the cable.

Depending on the brakes bleeding is actually quite easy. Shimano stuff is super easy, Hayes I've never had much issue with, however avid I hate!

Vientomas
02-26-2013, 08:49 AM
Bleed them. It is easy.

Mikej
02-26-2013, 08:51 AM
Cut the cable towards the reservoir and do not open any bleeders or remove the reservoir cover, air lock will work with you - and keep the cut hose up so it does not leak on the floor, you will need a new olive. Reconnect the hose to the res / brake lever and then open the cover and air bleed UP - by taping on the hose and flicking the lever, do not bleed through the caliper. What kind?

Llewellyn
02-26-2013, 04:16 PM
What kind?

Shimano Deore LX levers and BR-M486 calipers