PDA

View Full Version : Velocity Aeroheads with CK hubs

ericspin
11-12-2005, 08:04 AM
Does anybody out there run this setup? I am starting to put my playlist together for my upcoming new frame and I kind of like the idea of this wheelset build. I have no real opinion about spokes because I just don't know that much about the differences.

skim500
11-12-2005, 09:29 AM
I have Velocity Aeroheads on American Classic hubs. The Chris King's are awesome of course but the AC's are bit quieter and lighter than the CK's. I like the DT Revolution spokes, I think they are a bit "softer" feeling although they have great rigidity. Great decison on building your own wheels.

skim

JStonebarger
11-12-2005, 09:39 AM
Questions for you about the Aeroheads:

Were you able to find the off-center Aerohead rear rim? Or has that been discontinued?

Do you know of a source online? Or did you go through an LBS?

Thanks.

Marburg
11-12-2005, 10:06 AM
On my rando bike I'm running Aeroheads on CK hubs, 36 hole, 3 cross all the way around -- Wheelsmith 14/17 in front and 14/15 in back. I built the wheels myself, so quality is suspect....

Don't know what I can say about it. It's a combination of known good elements. My goal was durability and reliability over weight or performance. The OC rim built up nicely in the rear. Built up pretty light (mid-1600s), all things considered.

The only concern I have is the non-eyeletted rims -- but I don't have enough miles to really have a good feel for that. I've heard good things about the Velocity rims so I'm open to that concern being unfounded.

[I got my Aeroheads from Yellow Jersey in Madison, WI in the spring. I'd be surprised if there was an availability problem...]

MRB
11-12-2005, 01:34 PM
...... I have no real opinion about spokes because I just don't know that much about the differences.

Your choice of spokes is important. Double butted spokes are more expensive, but worth the investment because it results in a wheel that stays truer. That has been my experience anyway. I prefer wheelsmith double butted 14 ga.

Also, if your rim does not have "eyelets" on the spoke holes, then you use brass nipples, not aluminum nipples.

HTH,

- M

Marburg
11-12-2005, 10:35 PM
Also, if your rim does not have "eyelets" on the spoke holes, then you use brass nipples, not aluminum nipples.

I can't speak to the technical basis for this particular nugget o wisdom, but I'll add my above build was done with brass nips. Why? Cuz I'm a ham-fisted wheel builder whose prone to rounding out alloy nips.

And of course the whole build for durability, etc...

jartzt
11-13-2005, 01:04 PM
I have a set of wheels from Spin Lite Cyling (spinlitecycling.com) built with King front and rear hubs, Sapim CX-Rays, and Velocity Aeroheads front and Aerohead OC rear.

You could go lighter with Tune or perhaps DT but I wanted bullet proof construction, smooth bearings, and easy maintenance and it was my opinion that the Kings were the best out there.

I had a Nimble Spider wheel set built with American Classic hubs and while they were great wheels and extremely light but I had some issues with the bearings in the rear wheel that required they be replaced a few times.

The King wheel set is relatively light <1500 grams, bullet proof, and as of this moment completely true with more than 4000 miles thus far (early I know but I'm happy nonetheless).

sc53
11-13-2005, 04:49 PM
Second the info about Spinlitecycling.com (Lyle is the guy in charge), where I ordered the Aeroheads (yes with the rear offset rim) with Chris King hubs and the Sapim XRay spokes earlier this summer. Great wheelset, very lite, runs smooth and fast on my Ottrott (use a DuraAce cassette). If you can stand the buzz when freewheeling (but maybe you never coast), these wheels are da bomb! (just talked to my 19 yr old nephew on the phone and sorry for the colloquialism that is not of my generation). Also, Lyle's price beat all comers when I ordered. Couple hundred bucks off the other quotes I had (from LBS).

cdmc
11-14-2005, 11:28 AM
What, I can't hear you, let me stop coasting. Oh that is better, sorry my King Hubs are so loud on my roadbike, I couldn't hear you. Seriously, they are very nice quality, but they are noisy and have more drag than most hubs. You might want to consider the DT Swiss 240 hubs which are very reliably, roll better, much quieter, and a tad lighter.

saab2000
11-14-2005, 11:31 AM
IMHO the Velocity rims are very good. The lack of eyelets was a concern for me too, but I have had no problem.

I am less sure about the CK hubs. They are extemely loud. The DT 240 hubs are good AFAIK. So are Campy and Shimano. If you use the Campagnolo hubs you really must get the offset rim for the rear. You should anyway, but it is even more important on the Campagnolo rim. I have some built up and they are fine, much better than those hubs were with my old Open Pros.

PsyDoc
11-14-2005, 01:26 PM
You may want to consider a different front rim if weight matters to you. The Aeroheads have not had their dies replaced in some time now and front rims are in the 450-460 gram range; a far cry from the claimed 405 gram weight. The OC rears are right around 410 grams.