PDA

View Full Version : Wide shoes...

oldguy00
11-12-2005, 07:54 AM
I have a very wide mid-foot, and thus have a hard time fitting confortably into most off the shelf cycling shoes. Sidi Megas are too wide in the ankle (my ankle isn;t wide, just mid-foot).
Any suggestions? I've read that shoes like the DMT Flash are wide, but when I look at them,l they look narrow at the Mid-foot like most others. I've read that DMT does custom shoes for racers, but is that only at the pro level?
Any other off the shelf shoes you guys would recommend?

gdw
11-12-2005, 12:26 PM
They aren't flashy but their wide models are the most comfortable I've tried.

Serotta PETE
11-12-2005, 12:51 PM
Carnac use to have a wider model in the $230 range. Might check with them - - the styles looked to have all changed, but their shoes typicall run on the wide side.

Serotta PETE
11-12-2005, 12:53 PM
2005 Carnac M5 Wide $279.99 $159.99
Identical in every way to the standard width Carnac M5, but with a wider last and toebox for folks with broader-than-typical feet. As with the standard M5, it has full Giardini Mirco Fiber construction along with the use of an SMC2 ratcheting buckle system. It also has the new MFC5 graphite sole,.

Got this off the Competitive cyclist site

bluesea
11-12-2005, 01:05 PM
What about .5 sized Sidi? They are supposed to have more room in the fore section.

Eric E
11-14-2005, 04:16 PM
Have more width in the mid-sections of the shoe - that is what I wear, and I run about a 2E size. Different models have different widths, and I find that the last on some shoes changes yearly, so try before buying.

I do end up increasing the width capacity of all my shoes by replacing the factory insoles with wider and thinner insoles without ridges (ouch) on the sides...

Good luck, Eric

quattro
11-14-2005, 08:19 PM
I have tried the Sidi Mega, DMT Flash and others. I recently purchased the Shimano TR02 Triathlon shoe and like it very much. It is wide and has a high toe box, I don't wear socks so I get a little bit of extra room to move around, they are made to be worn without socks, give them a try on see how they fit. Good luck

Grant McLean
11-14-2005, 10:08 PM
I'll second what Pete said.

I replaced my 10 year old Carnac Legends with the Carnac M5 in wide this summer. I love them.

Grant

OldDog
11-15-2005, 07:54 AM
Those of us who have studly feet, how about posting your foot size AND the shoe that works best for you? May give us all a better feel for which brand works for different feet?

Mine are 8 1/2, 4E with a very high instep. Only shoe I can get my instep into, with orthotics, and still strap/buckle is the Sidi Mega. Need to remove the insoles for the orthotics. Not completely heaven but works. Would like to find a Lake in my size to try out.

sspielman
11-15-2005, 09:02 AM
I, too have wide feet....as well as a high instep and arch...in other words "high volume". I wear size 41 in most. Over the years, my favorites have been Carnacs (and the Time equipes when they were made by Carnac).
I particularly like the Virenque model and its cousin the Diagonale. The newer Carnacs are much narrower in their standard width. This season I got a pair of M5's in the wide width. They are pretty good, but they are NOT as wide as the Carnacs of old. Additionally, the uppers are now synthetic, so they do not stretch very much at all. I am borderline for comfort with these shoes. My next pair will be a pair of Rocket 7's as per the recommendations and experience of the Boston Drunk.

OldDog
11-15-2005, 09:37 AM
I've been thinking rocket 7. For awhile. I guess I'm leary they might not work out for the $. My podiatrist offered to fit me with the kit and adjust for orthotics and work with R7 to make it all work out. Maybe this spring.

quattro
11-15-2005, 10:15 AM
Yes, my Mother tells me I got her messed up feet. I have Morton's Neuroma in my left foot and club toes on both feet. With these two ailments I have numbness in my second to smallest toe on my left foot. When I wear shoes that are to narrow the uncomfortable numbness can begin after only 5-10 minutes on the bike. I also use custom full length orthodics in my shoes with a metatarsal pad attached. Most shoes are to narrow and the pinching makes the problem worse. The club toes results in my toes rubbingg against the tops of just about any shoe, this was my main problem with the DMT Flash model. I have used Sidi Mega's most of this past season but the top part of the shoe over my toes is to firm and my toes rub against it. I recently switched to the Shimano TR02 Triathlon shoe. this shoe is both wide and has a high toe box and the area above the toe is made of a softer stretchy mesh material that does not result in rubbing against the tops of my toes. I normally wear a U.S. 9.5, I believe my Shimano TR02 are the equivalent to a 9.5, possibly a 43.5. If you are looking for both width and height in the toe box I think these are a good choice. They have a CF sole and one wide velco strap that results in a very good fit.

OldDog
11-15-2005, 12:51 PM
Quattro - we spoke in the past of our neuroma's. Have you looked into the alcohal/saline shots?

Old "fatpaws" Dog

Grant McLean
11-15-2005, 02:41 PM
The newer Carnacs are much narrower in their standard width. This season I got a pair of M5's in the wide width. They are pretty good, but they are NOT as wide as the Carnacs of old. Additionally, the uppers are now synthetic, so they do not stretch very much at all.... snipped.

Sspielman,

I agree with all these points. Also, I wasn't totally comfortable in my M5's until I got custom footbeds, and switched to thinner socks. The P.I. keirn socks are really thin. It's a shame there aren't any natural leather shoes available from the major brands. The kangaroo leather that carnac used to use lasted well, and it molded to your foot like custom. I guess it's too heavy by todays standards. Seems like everyone markets their shoes by how much they weigh, which seems kinda odd.

G

Fixed
11-15-2005, 03:10 PM
bro a few years I use to ride with this bro he was a rasta man from the islands and he rode fixie too weed ride together sometimes but this dude had some wild shoes let me tell ya red pink blue green and purple he painted them himself ,that has got to be the the most wild shoes .... uh oh you said wide shoes oh well they were wide too .cheers :beer: