PDA

View Full Version : Serotta Classique (2012) or go custom steel?

duffeymt
02-25-2013, 03:44 PM
Hey guys, new member here - looking to go steel or ti and debating different options (custom, who, how, when, etc.).

I can get a new 2012 classique frame in (standard geometry) and have them build it up for me with one of their build kits.

I am also debating going with a local builder to do a OS True Temper OSX platinum steel build in custom size.

Looking for advice between the custom steel or the standard ti (assuming the standard geometry fits me fine).

Thanks!

1/2 Wheeler
02-25-2013, 04:01 PM
Go with the Classique!

Ben makes great bikes!:)

duffeymt
02-25-2013, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the reply!

I don't care much for being able to do a custom paint job, so that's one advantage of going custom steel that wouldn't mean much to me. Anything else I should seriously consider between the two?

Tony
02-25-2013, 04:08 PM
Hey guys, new member here - looking to go steel or ti and debating different options (custom, who, how, when, etc.).

I can get a new 2012 classique frame in (standard geometry) and have them build it up for me with one of their build kits.

I am also debating going with a local builder to do a OS True Temper OSX platinum steel build in custom size.

Looking for advice between the custom steel or the standard ti (assuming the standard geometry fits me fine).

Thanks!

Those are the two materials (steel and Ti) I would also consider as my next purchase. If I had to choose between custom steel or standard ti I think I'd go with the custom steel. There are many steel artists on this forum that can make you a killer steel bike. I don't know where you are so can't recommend a local builder. My local builder is Steve Rex http://www.rexcycles.com/ does excellent work!

Tony

avalonracing
02-25-2013, 04:09 PM
A good steel bike rides great.
A good, unpainted Ti bike rides great... And doesn't get scratches in the paint... and doesn't rust.

dekindy
02-25-2013, 04:12 PM
A good steel bike rides great.
A good, unpainted Ti bike rides great... And doesn't get scratches in the paint... and doesn't rust.

This is where I am coming from. And it cleans up with Pledge or you can shine it up with a pad. I hate scratched and chipped paint. Ultimate Classic. And not everyone has one!

Cat3roadracer
02-25-2013, 05:18 PM
You will end up with both at some point.

jhat
02-25-2013, 08:34 PM
I will second the ending up with both statement. I started with ti and two years later went back for steel. The ti was not a mistake, I just ended up wanting two flavors. I really enjoy both (well actually three as I also have an aluminum road bike)

pdmtong
02-26-2013, 12:22 AM
is your size here (http://serotta.com/serotta-garage/)?

weaponsgrade
02-26-2013, 12:57 AM
assuming you don't have weird proportions, I'd go with the stock serotta ti. Ride it for a bit, think about what you like, don't like, your riding preferences, etc. and then go custom.

bargainguy
02-26-2013, 01:00 AM
I have three different flavors of IF crown jewels:

-- ti w/carbon fork

-- steel w/steel fork

-- steel w/carbon fork

None was a custom, all bought used. That having been said, they all ride a little differently. If I were limited to one bike only for the rest of my life, I'd be happy with any one of them.

But I do prefer the ti. Where I live, the roads have exposed aggregate and the ti helps smooth out the chatter. Not to mention I fuss less over the shot-peened ti finish, seems much more durable than the paint of the other two.

CNY rider
02-26-2013, 06:32 AM
assuming you don't have weird proportions, I'd go with the stock serotta ti. Ride it for a bit, think about what you like, don't like, your riding preferences, etc. and then go custom.

Agree.
Makes eminent sense.

oldpotatoe
02-26-2013, 07:15 AM

Thanks!

If the builder is a good one, hard to beat custom steel, even if you don't 'need' custom. I can wear a suit off the rack but having one made for me was really nice.

Pete Mckeon
02-26-2013, 09:05 AM
I would recommend a Ti for me. I like them a lot. (if not a steel is nice). it is important to fit and meet your type of riding. Serotta (what a shock from me) or a Spectrum, Moots, Bedford, IF, firefly. MANY CHOICES but all good:)

duffeymt
02-26-2013, 09:34 AM
is your size here (http://serotta.com/serotta-garage/)?

Indeed it is!

duffeymt
02-26-2013, 09:36 AM
How does the classique ride? I can't find too much info about it. I mostly do fast group rides, 50-60 miles and a then a few centuries here and there.

What is the replacement model and why did they stop making it?

Pete Mckeon
02-26-2013, 01:13 PM
It rides very nice for me for long recreation rides. Ride of any bike will be dependent on size of you and weigh/power. I think the current non Legend is the decendent of prior Classique.

How does the classique ride? I can't find too much info about it. I mostly do fast group rides, 50-60 miles and a then a few centuries here and there.

What is the replacement model and why did they stop making it?

cmg
02-26-2013, 01:17 PM
from the ad; Prosecco S3 Fork Seat tube length 49.80 cm Seat tube angle 73.30 deg Horizontal Top Tube length 55.10 cm TT downsloping angle 7.3 deg Head tube length 14.40 cm Head tube angle 72.70 deg

the interesting thing from reading the geometry is the seat tube angle and the head tube angles. It's going to put more weight over the back wheels and with the slightly steep steering tube it going to react faster to input. Compare it to what you already have.

Elefantino
02-26-2013, 01:20 PM
Steel is great. Ti is great, too. They each have their ride characteristics, sort of like the difference between different kinds of skis built for the same purpose.

I will say this: Since I've had my Concours, I've gone through four other steel bikes. The Concours has stayed, and will stay.

sokyroadie
02-26-2013, 05:14 PM
I have a 2010 Classique Ti and think it rides and looks great. If the Serotta fits, I highly recommend it.

Jeff