PDA

View Full Version : Athena EPS anyone?

FlashUNC
02-25-2013, 02:46 PM
Barring any last minute walk back from the ledge of insanity, I'll be ordering an Athena EPS group later this week.

Any thoughts from the mechanics out there. First hand experience on installation vs. Record/Super Record? I've read there are minor differences in the cabling and the polarity so the parts don't intermix, but other than being heavier, the function is the same.

Can I skip the crank and just go with my buttery smooth Square Taper 10 speed cranks, or am I in for a penny, in for a pound on this? I'm already skipping the brakes in favor of some Mavic SSCs I picked up.

Nick209
02-25-2013, 03:19 PM
The front der. Would probably appreciate having the athena cranks and rings. But it's not necessary as long as you have the 11 speed rings.Imo the athena eps is solid, it felt like it didn't shift any better or worse than the sr eps.enjoy!

oldpotatoe
02-25-2013, 03:22 PM
Barring any last minute walk back from the ledge of insanity, I'll be ordering an Athena EPS group later this week.

Any thoughts from the mechanics out there. First hand experience on installation vs. Record/Super Record? I've read there are minor differences in the cabling and the polarity so the parts don't intermix, but other than being heavier, the function is the same.

Can I skip the crank and just go with my buttery smooth Square Taper 10 speed cranks, or am I in for a penny, in for a pound on this? I'm already skipping the brakes in favor of some Mavic SSCs I picked up.

Installed one, installed both, same type install. 11s EPS doesn't like 10s spaced chainrings tho. The chain will drag either on the inside or the outside of the FD cage.

FlashUNC
02-25-2013, 03:56 PM
Installed one, installed both, same type install. 11s EPS doesn't like 10s spaced chainrings tho. The chain will drag either on the inside or the outside of the FD cage.

Duly noted. So could I just get 11 spd rings for the ST crank, or I am back to just getting a whole new UT/PT crank?

oldpotatoe
02-25-2013, 06:28 PM
Duly noted. So could I just get 11 spd rings for the ST crank, or I am back to just getting a whole new UT/PT crank?

Well, if it's 135 BCD, just 11s rings and CR bolts.

evo111@comcast.net
02-26-2013, 11:06 AM
Please keep us posted of your install and thoughts on the performance. Thanks

ergott
02-26-2013, 11:18 AM
Well, if it's 135 BCD, just 11s rings and CR bolts.

If that's the case, I really like the idea of Athena EPS working with my alloy Record crank that's square taper. I'd buy the rings separately to have that amazing Phil Wood BB. No outboard BB comes close.

FlashUNC
02-26-2013, 11:46 AM
If that's the case, I really like the idea of Athena EPS working with my alloy Record crank that's square taper. I'd buy the rings separately to have that amazing Phil Wood BB. No outboard BB comes close.

That's my hope as well. I love the look of square taper cranks over just about anything. Would be nice just to swap rings and get the same performance result.

VirtualElvis
10-08-2013, 10:50 AM
How is the group? You like it , love it or have left it?

FlashUNC
10-08-2013, 11:08 AM
Love it.

I've charged it once since I got it in the Spring, more out of my own neurosis than it really needing it. Anyone who gets stranded with a dead battery of their own doing is a special kind of special imo.

A lot of my first and second impressions still hold true (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=127269), both the good and the bad.

It's easy to swap wheels with a quick adjustment at the lever, and you can really dial the shifting in without all that much effort.

Overall, I'm a fan. Will it absolutely replace mechanical? Hardly. But I went from a Luddite to a believer on this stuff.

h2oxtc
10-09-2013, 09:02 PM
I have two nearly identical Cannondales. One with Dura-Ace the other recently built up with Athena 11spd mech. Okay, maybe not nearly identical. The question is, is it possible to install Athena EPS on a bike not originally set up for EPS?

FlashUNC
10-09-2013, 11:49 PM
I have two nearly identical Cannondales. One with Dura-Ace the other recently built up with Athena 11spd mech. Okay, maybe not nearly identical. The question is, is it possible to install Athena EPS on a bike not originally set up for EPS?

It's doable. Got some photos in that thread above of my setup.

oldpotatoe
10-10-2013, 07:54 AM

Sure, the wires are just going to be outside and to Campagnolo's credit, they are pretty long..so with zip ties, and such, battery behind or next to the downtube bottle cage, sure..

jpw
10-10-2013, 11:15 AM
Sure, the wires are just going to be outside and to Campagnolo's credit, they are pretty long..so with zip ties, and such, battery behind or next to the downtube bottle cage, sure..

if i put it on the outside of an S&S travel bike where would i be able to unplug the down tube wire to separate the two halves of the frame, at the stem area, or at the bb?

oldpotatoe
10-10-2013, 01:30 PM
if i put it on the outside of an S&S travel bike where would i be able to unplug the down tube wire to separate the two halves of the frame, at the stem area, or at the bb?

Mount the interface as low as you can, disconnect there but gonna be a little. Strange since the power pack is hard wired.

jpw
10-10-2013, 01:52 PM
Mount the interface as low as you can, disconnect there but gonna be a little. Strange since the power pack is hard wired.

does the battery unit (the new torpedo shape) have wires that disconnect from it at the top (from the handlebars) and the bottom (from the bb shell) of the unit? if the unit was mounted on the down tube cage would i be able to simply disconnect the wire from the unit that routes up from the bb shell?

cheers, Jason.