PDA

View Full Version : Decent Camera for HB

Ahneida Ride
02-25-2013, 01:47 PM
I really need to better Camera to take decent shots of HandleBra wrap.

The camera especially needs to be able to take nice close ups.

Price is a consideration.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated. (what and where to buy)

Thanks in advance, :banana:

jmoore
02-25-2013, 01:59 PM
What's wrong with pics from your smart phone? :D

(says the guy with the website full of smart phone pics)

mhespenheide
02-25-2013, 02:14 PM
If you're just looking for web-based photographs, any decent dSLR from the last few years will do. Or even older. Get one from Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax, Olympus, or some other company.

More importantly, you'll want to pick up a 50mm macro lens for close-up shots and images of the complete bars, and something like an 85mm f/1.8 for those product shots with shallow depth-of-field.

The lenses are more important and a bigger combined cost than the body.

I come from a background mostly in Canon, so I would recommend any of the digital Rebel's that are more recent than the original. (Seriously. Even the xti would be fine). Then pick up their 50/2.5 macro. Later, add their 85mm f/1.8 for the artsy shots.

KEH (http://www.keh.com/camera/format-Digital?s=1&bc=40) sells used digital cameras and I've had excellent results buying from them. A rebel XTI should set you back about ~$200, and the 50/2.5 macro about ~$225.

If you have some budget left over, grab yourself some lights (search amazon for "led panel camera") and a copy of Kirk Tuck's "LED Lighting".

For general usage, go ahead and get one of the kit zoom lenses.

Any of that will be plenty good enough for web advertising purposes.

1/2 Wheeler
02-25-2013, 02:26 PM
Ever consider the problem is not the camera.

You might want to consider using your money to hire a professional.

zap
02-25-2013, 02:40 PM
Nikon......just can't go wrong.

Now, lens. Type of lens for close in shots is most important.

Then lighting, etc......

I'll have Zip send you a pm later today..............she is the expert in our house.

Mr Cabletwitch
02-25-2013, 02:46 PM

I would consider a pro... seriously my sister in law is a photographer she can take pictures with anything. She takes better pics with a point and shoot than I can take with my DSLR.

AngryScientist
02-25-2013, 02:46 PM
if you havent already, you should absolutely read this gem from David Kirk.

it doesnt specifically address your budget camera question, but illustrates how much more goes into a good photo than just the camera.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=123594

pbarry
02-25-2013, 07:26 PM
Mentioned in another thread this week: Check out kenrockwell.com He's got no-nonsense advice on camera selection, and would probably recommend the cheapest Nikon/Canon DSLR. Last years/months models are usually at the same price point as the deluxe point and shoot cameras. Buy from bhphotovideo.com in the city. The best customer service.

Ahneida Ride
02-25-2013, 07:30 PM

I Have access to talent (like BBD). But after a wrap is custom corded it has to be mailed. It can't wait around to be photographed.

cdn_bacon
02-25-2013, 08:00 PM
sent you a PM.

As an addendum....

Here is an inexpensive setup.

D200 used from craigslist
35mm 1.8
Optex portable studio

here is an overview of the setup

a watch on a white background

it took me since my initial PM to setup that rig up and take this photo and post. It's a very simple setup.

photo was not altered except to resize except for the closeup crop

tuxbailey
02-25-2013, 10:31 PM
1. Get a cheap SLR from your local CL, or Fred Miranda
2. Get a cheap prime (50mm f1.8) from CL or Fred Miranda
3. Get a flash that can bounce, used one from CL or Fred Miranda
4. Get a cheap tripod, walmart is good enough.

Mount camera on tripod, aim flash to ceilng, set aperture to f2.8 for shallow DOF, or f8 for overall sharpness. Presto!

Louis
02-25-2013, 10:46 PM
Ray, would things be easier if you shot just the bars + HB tape in front of a tabletop backdrop? You could clamp the bars in a stand, wrap them, then remove and put in front of the background. (This is a fancy one, there's a lot cheaper stuff out there.)

Edit: by not having the bike in the picture you greatly simplify the shot and concentrate the viewer on your product. You of course could also have some on-bike pics, but the bars + tape could be your main way of showing things.

http://www.rentacam.com.au/images/lighting-equipment-hire-sydney/mystudio-ms20cyc-seamless-tabletop-background-sweep-cyclorama-for-product-shots-med.jpg

http://www.letsgodigital.org/images/artikelen/1/product-photography-tabletop-studio.jpg

parris
02-26-2013, 09:08 AM
pm sent.

gunder
02-26-2013, 11:40 AM
Both Canon and Nikon have excellent low cost DSLR bodies. You may want to consider a macro lens. They are optimized for close-up photography but can also be used for general photography as well. Both Canon and Nikon make macro prime lenses in various focal lengths. Some of the Canon/Nikon zoom lenses have macro abilities as well but they wouldn't be optimum for true macro photography (though they may be good enough for your use).

Whether you choose a macro lens or normal lens, zoom or prime, I would recommend using an effective focal length of at least 85mm. This allows a nice working distance between camera and subject. With close-up photography, if your lens is too wide angle, you may find you have to get so close to your subject to fill the frame that you are casting a shadow on your subject!

If you don't mind buying used, check the Fred Miranda classifieds. You can often find mint condition equipment at a great price. Make sure you buy from someone with a good amount of feedback.

BigPoppa
02-26-2013, 03:51 PM
You'll need a tripod as well. Otherwise, it doesn't seem like you need anything too special. Previous posts have given some sound advice.

charliedid
02-27-2013, 10:32 AM
What are you using now and do you use a tripod?