PDA

View Full Version : Bottom bracket spacer for ITALIAN thread square taper BB?

lovebird
02-25-2013, 08:49 AM
I'm hoping someone here has run into this problem. I'm trying to add a spacer to the drive side of a square taper bottom bracket in order to move the cranks 2mm or so to the right. I got a Wheels Manufacturing spacer, which seems to fit fine over the threads of an English BB laying around, but is too tight to fit over the Italian threads of the BB I am trying to space. Before I take a dremel to the washer/spacer and make a mess of it, I thought I'd see if anyone has come across this and even better if someone had a washer that would work. Anywhere from 1.5mm to 2.5mm thickness would work fine.

BTW, the bottom bracket is an SKF. If possible, I'd really like to avoid having to go with a longer spindle, because there is enough room on the non-drive side to move the cranks a few mm inwards. Thanks in advance!

ultraman6970
02-25-2013, 09:05 AM
As long as the spacer clears the threads you are just fine.

bfd
02-25-2013, 09:44 AM
I'm hoping someone here has run into this problem. I'm trying to add a spacer to the drive side of a square taper bottom bracket in order to move the cranks 2mm or so to the right. I got a Wheels Manufacturing spacer, which seems to fit fine over the threads of an English BB laying around, but is too tight to fit over the Italian threads of the BB I am trying to space. Before I take a dremel to the washer/spacer and make a mess of it, I thought I'd see if anyone has come across this and even better if someone had a washer that would work. Anywhere from 1.5mm to 2.5mm thickness would work fine.

BTW, the bottom bracket is an SKF. If possible, I'd really like to avoid having to go with a longer spindle, because there is enough room on the non-drive side to move the cranks a few mm inwards. Thanks in advance!

I ran across this problem a few years back and found there aren't any spacers available that will fit italian bb threading! Fortunately, my LBS knew a machinist and had a few made.

Your best bet is to take a dremel to an English one. Otherwise, the only online shop I know of that could make something like this is Andy Muzi at www.yellowjersey.org He has the tools to make one. Good Luck!

lovebird
02-25-2013, 10:09 AM
Thanks, bfd. I guess I'll break out the dremel.....

rccardr
02-25-2013, 12:20 PM
They are out there to fit an Italian BB. Had a similar problem with a Dancelli a couple of years ago, hunted around and found some that worked, seems to me they came in .5 and 1 mm thicknesses. From, maybe, Austria via eBay.

Fivethumbs
02-25-2013, 10:54 PM
There is a guy on ebay selling them. I just bought some a week ago.