PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Cleveland, where to live for good riding

stevef624
11-11-2005, 09:32 PM
I might be moving to Cleveland, Ohio in the spring and was wondering if there are any Cleveland area cyclists who would be able to suggest an area to live in where you can get in some good rides right from your house. I am spoiled living in Delaware and able to get to almost car free rolling hill riding two miles from my house. If you cam suggest an area to live in or a zip code that I can look up in realtors.com that would be appreciated.
Also, what clubs offer weekly and weekday rides?
Steve

nm87710
11-11-2005, 10:16 PM
Lived there for 3 years. IMO nicest riding is E or SE of Cleveland. I lived in Shaker Heights riding out into Pepper Pike, Gates Mills, Chagrin Falls, Solon and down in the Cuyahoga Valley Natl Park. All nice country riding with nice flats, rollers and climbs. Bad news about the east side is it gets more snow than the west side.

I raced for Summit Freewheelers http://www.summitfreewheelers.org/
They offer nice year round training rides, club races, etc.

Good luck

Zard
11-12-2005, 12:15 AM
nm87710 is right about the east side and riding. I lived in Cleveland Heights which is a little closer to downtown than Shaker Heights and was still able to access the riding through a few routes that kept me out of traffic. There are a few wide boulevard type roads that head east out through Shaker and then to Gates Mills, Chargrin River Road, Chagrin Falls, etc. Nice riding but no real hills.

My brother lives in Chargrin Falls. A toney little town/suburb. When I lived in the area there was a cool section of brick road near Chagrin that went on for a half mile or so. On cold and wet spring days it was our version of Paris-Roubaix. Lots of great memories of coming home soaking wet, cold and covered with road splatter and feeling like you just did battle. If you head further out east from Chagrin there are just miles of empty rolling roads that pass through farm lands.

You can continue to ride through a good portion of the winter. The snowfall there tends to last a week or so then the roads dry up. Just cold.

Cleveland is a lot nicer than its' reputation.

stevef624
11-12-2005, 11:06 AM
Do you know what zip codes to look for when searching for housing in the area? Are there any pro type bike shops in the area?