PDA

View Full Version : Wheelbuilder/rider opinions please

Dromen
02-25-2013, 08:11 AM
I just purchased a bike with almost new Aerohead28/Aerohead OC32/Velocity Race wheelset. I have switched most of my bikes over to 23mm rims. I can not find any timely comparitive information on the Aeroheads now that the 'wides' are all over the market. Can i get some feedback on AH v wides from the experts and riders who have ride/build experience on both?

FYI:
185#
Road riding only - no racing
75-125 typical ride
Varied terrain from IL flats to Rockie Mts

Thanks to all in advance.

oldpotatoe
02-25-2013, 08:18 AM
I just purchased a bike with almost new Aerohead28/Aerohead OC32/Velocity Race wheelset. I have switched most of my bikes over to 23mm rims. I can not find any timely comparitive information on the Aeroheads now that the 'wides' are all over the market. Can i get some feedback on AH v wides from the experts and riders who have ride/build experience on both?

FYI:
185#
Road riding only - no racing
75-125 typical ride
Varied terrain from IL flats to Rockie Mts

Thanks to all in advance.

Since you have 'wides', slap some tires on the 'narrows' and tell us?

Aeroheads/OC rear are great rims, pretty light, build well and if built well and appropriate to the rider, last a long time.

ergott
02-25-2013, 08:26 AM
You are asking for opinions after you purchased them?

As above, put the tires on and giddy-up. Volume is lower so you might experiment by increasing pressure 5-10psi.

Dromen
02-25-2013, 08:28 AM
Since you have 'wides', slap some tires on the 'narrows' and tell us?

Aeroheads/OC rear are great rims, pretty light, build well and if built well and appropriate to the rider, last a long time.

OP, will be on Chicago roads in April, maybe March. I will surely submit some info then. Looking for a little headstart to taint my brain.

Dromen
02-25-2013, 08:31 AM
You are asking for opinions after you purchased them?

As above, put the tires on and giddy-up. Volume is lower so you might experiment by increasing pressure 5-10psi.

Ergott,
They came with full build purchase. Had good luck with A23s so far and didn't see point in negotiating the wheels out of the full build.

Gummee
02-25-2013, 08:33 AM
They'll ride like wheels. Little lighter, maybe a little stiffer because of the OC than the A23s, but overall...

They're wheels.

M

cmg
02-25-2013, 08:33 AM
had a set that were built by Mike Garcia. mine were built using Sapim cx-ray spokes, very durable, had them for 3 seasons. ride them.

saab2000
02-25-2013, 08:35 AM
I have some Aerohead O/Cs and some A23s. I prefer the Aeroheads with the O/C rear. I ride them with 23mm tires.

AngryScientist
02-25-2013, 10:22 AM
the wide rim craze is a little overblown IMO, i have aeroheads, and with the right tire pressure, they ride just fine.

oldpotatoe
02-25-2013, 05:36 PM
the wide rim craze is a little overblown IMO, i have aeroheads, and with the right tire pressure, they ride just fine.

'little'??

Too many change too many things when they go to wide rims..often tires, manufacturer and type AND pressures..When just goin to a wider tire with less air would make for ooo-ahhh rides.

AngryScientist
02-25-2013, 05:37 PM
'little'??

Too many change too many things when they go to wide rims..often tires, manufacturer and type AND pressures..When just goin to a wider tire with less air would make for ooo-ahhh rides.

agree 100%.

ergott
02-25-2013, 05:51 PM
I'm not saying everyone should go out and buy a pair, but if you are already considering a new set of wheels they are worth a try. I won't back to skinny rims. I prefer the handling. Horses from courses.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2