PDA

View Full Version : Gloves - advice

Dekonick
11-11-2005, 08:30 PM
Looking for suggestions for gloves - full finger, for cool weather to cold - lets say 50 degrees or less

vaxn8r
11-11-2005, 11:31 PM
>65 No gloves
40-64 fingerless gloves
<40 Santini Windtex. great fit and feel. High quality.

My fingers don't really get too cold so that's all I need.

bcm119
11-11-2005, 11:40 PM
>65 No gloves
40-64 fingerless gloves

So if its 41 and raining you wear open finger gloves?! You really are an oregonian!

Anything below 55 I wear full fingers. Cold and wet= Descente Shelter glove. Not too bulky but good wind/rain protection. Gore's Windstopper gloves are good too.

Kevin
11-12-2005, 04:52 AM
>65 No gloves
40-64 fingerless gloves

You should change your name to Mr. Freeze. :D

Kevin

Tom
11-12-2005, 06:35 AM
I have (had) a really great pair of PI gloves for winter temps: Goretex backs, nice and toasty... but needed a wash. Ran them through, then ... here's the tragedy, avert your eyes if you're sensitive ... turned the sewn-in liners inside out so they'd dry.

You can't get them back in no matter what you do. I've been working on it for over a week when I sit in front of the idiot box at night. I can get them about half way up the fingers and then no more. Maybe by the end of the winter they'll be good.

They were not inexpensive, too. Crap.

To the original question:

50 or so: regular bike gloves with knit dot gloves inside.
40 or so: A good pair of winter weight running gloves: thick fleece backs, longer wrists. OK but the wind will cut into them a little. The advantage is that they breathe very well.
30 or so: My old ski gloves, I guess, now that I wrecked my good bike gloves.

I also got a $20 pair of neoprene gloves that work really well about 40 and dry but will really shine in the cold rain. They don't breathe at all, obviously, so they get a bit damp inside but in the rain the balance should be really good.

I also bought a pair of neoprene booties that have the rubber sole and zip up the back. The fine folks at the LBS said not to bother spending big dollars on winter bike shoes and they were so right. Those things are perfect.

theprep
11-12-2005, 06:38 AM
Everything they make is super expensive, EXCEPT their gloves. They are very good, thin and warm down to 25 F, IMHO.

I am on my second pair. My first pair lasted 4 years before some holes developed in the palms and fingers. When I got my second pair last season, Assos reinforced those exact locations when they updated the glove.

O - and the most important thing is, they entire back of the hand is soft and suitable for wiping winter snot. I also just checked Colorado Cyclist and they are up to $63. I am pretty sure I paid only $50 at the LBS though.

cheers,
Joe

oldguy00
11-12-2005, 07:09 AM
I've found that just about any brand of 'Lobster' style gloves are very warm. But I have had the same experience as the other poster, while washing them. They actually managed to turn themselves inside out, and I couldn't get the liner back in properly. Not sure if it shrank or what....

scrooge
11-12-2005, 07:25 AM
I've got a pair of PI's that I like. I don't remember what they are called, but the exterior is made of polyester and tey look a bit like those cheap brown/black gardening gloves. However, they have a good liner and have kept me warm (are pretty wind resistant too) and I ride down to about 35 degrees.

Dr. Doofus
11-12-2005, 07:27 AM
50 or higher: no gloves

under 50: a pair of 2003 defeet gloves a rep gave the doof

remember: walter planckaert never, ever, wore gloves

PBWrench
11-12-2005, 08:01 AM
I Echo theprep. Assos' Thermomax gloves are superb down to the mid-30's and then you should break out the PI Amphibs. Over 45 you may want to consider the PI Gel-Lite full-finger - just enough warmth to keep you comfy.

Dekonick
11-12-2005, 09:17 AM
thx - lost my PI's that were 'bout 5 years old...was time anyway.

Ozz
11-13-2005, 10:25 AM
Gore makes a pretty nice, inexpensive full fingered glove. I think I paid about $40 at the LBS., Windstopper, light fleece, velcro wrist closure. They have worked well for me down to about freezing.

They could use a terry cloth back to wipe snot, but otherwise pretty nice for the price.

kkasper4
11-13-2005, 10:29 AM
I'll wear Assos glove liners inside Assos Summer Gloves to temps down to the mid 40's without any problem. This gives much better finger dexterity than any true full finger glove.

justinf
11-13-2005, 11:13 AM
I was like you for ages with the fingerless-in-cold-weather and just got a set of PI AMfib gloves 2 weeks ago. They're really nice, warm, comfy, and reasonably priced. I held out too long. . .

Samster
11-13-2005, 12:34 PM
Craft Pronto. $35.

--sam

Tailwinds
11-13-2005, 03:50 PM
PI Thermafleece gloves below 45... add Performance polypro liners for extra warmth/wicking. This combo offers good dexterity. PI Amfib Lobster gloves are toasty when it's 35 or below... bad for dexterity, though, esp. if you need to get into your jersey pockets.

cycleman_21
11-13-2005, 07:01 PM
Go ahead and laugh,
Wells Lamont, below 50 deg.

Yep, eight bucks :)

RC

RABikes2
11-14-2005, 07:41 AM
Just received (full finger), Louis Garneau's Windtex Eco gloves in the shop. Nice glove; warm with unrestricted movement. I wore them on a 45 degree ride and they were toasty. Sizing was off though, order larger size than you wear.

RA

george
11-14-2005, 08:15 AM
I have two pairs of Casttelli full finger gloves, called Strato Sheer (or that might be the protective element). They work great untill the mid 30's. When it gets colder then that then I break out my Pearl Izumi AmFib gloves, they keep my hands warm for my very cold winter rides wich are usaally less than one hour...

spiderman
11-14-2005, 09:06 AM
cross country gloves to 32 degrees.
0 to 32 i use a pair of thinsulate under the swix
and below 0
i use the swix with or without the thinsulate
as liners for my downhill ski gloves...
...can't remember what brand they are
i haven't had them out yet.
actually i looked for them this morning
and could only find one...
i need to get ready for winter
with snow in the forcast tomorrow...

MartyE
11-14-2005, 10:13 AM
I have a pair of Louis Garneau Ergoair full finger that
are good down till about freezing. Light gloves with good
range of motion and not alot of padding.

marty

deechee
11-14-2005, 11:38 AM
cool weather - the defeets are very nice and tacky. colder, I wear mec windstopper gloves I've owned for a long time. The newer ones don't seem to have as nice a grip.

The Spider
11-15-2005, 12:25 PM
showing my mountain bike roots I wear Troy Lee Designs XC all year round, very minimilist full fingered glove that is quite durable.

My hands don't seem to suffer the heat/cold very much....plus I'm altering the other clothing to regulate the heat to keep me right.

Brian
11-15-2005, 12:51 PM
I've found that a decent pair of cross-country ski gloves work as well or better than expensive cycling specific gloves. My Toko gloves have relegated my PI gloves to the bottom of the bag. The Tokos are more comfortable with less bulk. If it's really cold, I'll first put on a pair of polypropylene glove liners for a combo good down to 32F.