PDA

View Full Version : Happy Veterans Day

Bill Bove
11-11-2005, 06:33 PM
So Happy Veterans Day to all the vets of the forum.

I have never really known how to react to veterans day. My dad was a vet and never spoke of it at all. for the last 25 years people have wished me a happy veterans day and I just shrug it off, a couple of days ago I realized that I make nothing of it because I cannot dishonour those that died by saying "Hey, look at me! I'm a vet!" No, to me Memorial Day means much, much more.

dsimon
11-11-2005, 08:27 PM
THANK YOU :beer:

chuck
11-11-2005, 08:35 PM
A few years ago the local VFW hosted the Vietnam "moving" memorial wall and although I never gravitated toward the VFW (don't smoke or drink etc), I volunteered to help while the wall was in town. We wanted it on Mem Day but the soccer contingency had locked down all the school fields so we waited until August. A lot of people came and shed not a few tears for loved ones. Now every Mem Day and Vets Day one of the local vets posts on phone and electric poles throughout town, posters of those fallen in service in Afghanistan and Iraq (all 2,000 or so on Mem Day and today the 452 or so who have fallen since Mem Day) - names, hometowns/states/countries, age, and rank/rate. Our town doesn't have enough poles to hold all the posters so we stretch into 3 neighboring towns. Riding my bike or driving through town while these are up is a pretty emotional experience. Apparently some people have to pull off the road - get too choked up to drive. The first year they were up I estimated the average age was around 21 or 22. But last Mem Day there were a lot more older men and women which I'm guessing brought up the average age to 25 or so - a lot more reservists I would guess. Regardless of one's political persuasion and feelings about our involvement in Iraq, there's no denying the ultimate cost.
Chuck

dave thompson
11-11-2005, 09:12 PM
.... and to those souls who know the risks and willingly join.

As a VietNam vet, it is so good to see people separating their political views from their views of our military. The entwining of the politics of VietNam with the military guys is what ruined a lot of the troops when they returned from their tour of duty. And many have never recovered. God bless 'em!

CNY rider
11-12-2005, 06:52 AM
It's always good to remember how much the service men and women have sacrificed for our common good. Private Ryan was on last night. I'm rarely awake past 10 pm and I can't remember the last time I watched a movie on TV. I sat glued to every minute of that movie last night. My grandfather was a WWII vet. When he was alive we talked a lot about where he had served, the campaign stars etc. but there were some things he just never talked about. As I get older I'm understanding more and more why that was.
So today I will enjoy the glorious weather, ride my bike in freedom and think of all those who sacrificed to make it possible. :)

csm
11-12-2005, 08:49 AM
and those who continue the sacrifice today.

RABikes2
11-14-2005, 07:32 AM
[QUOTE=Bill Bove]So Happy Veterans Day to all the vets of the forum. /QUOTE]
Thanks Bill; same back at you.
RA