PDA

View Full Version : Salsa Fargo

firerescuefin
02-24-2013, 12:15 PM
Any real life experiences?...thoughts?

gomango
02-24-2013, 12:30 PM
Yep.

I bought mine three months ago to take up to our cabin near Ely, MN.

Right on the edge of the BWCA, which borders Canada in northern Minnesota.

Over the last twenty years or so, we would routinely ride into the area on fire and logging roads with our mtbs.

Hundreds of remote lakes in which we fish out of float tubes/kayaks we would bring along.

I decided that the Fargo would be a great cabin bike along with my BOB trailer.

So far, I have been riding it all winter along the Mississippi river bottoms near our house in the Twin Cities.

Other than the Brooks saddle and front pannier racks, the Fargo I bought is near stock. I decided to leave it stock this summer until I decided on any needed mods. The Schwalbes on it are fine so far, but it will be interesting to see how they roll on bumpy tar and gravel roads I use to get to the trails.

The single wheel trailer I use has all the room I need for my Folbot kayak and fishing supplies.

Here is a pic of my Fargo and a link to the Folbot.

http://www.folbot.com/

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8217/8406038095_fd72f55f41_b.jpg

thirdgenbird
02-24-2013, 12:36 PM
Gomango may be able to chime in

Edit: not sure how, but he beat me to it.

firerescuefin
02-24-2013, 12:51 PM
Gomango....thanks:cool:

gomango
02-24-2013, 01:04 PM
Gomango may be able to chime in

Edit: not sure how, but he beat me to it.

Call me quick draw. :)

Actually I am waiting for the boys to finish their last runs of the day at the ski resort we frequent.

Perfect snow today.

gdw
02-24-2013, 02:04 PM
What type of riding would you use it for.... pavement, dirt roads, singletrack, bikepacking?

MadRocketSci
02-24-2013, 02:24 PM
call universal bikes in boulder to see if they have one your size to test ride. I was choosing between the fargo and vaya, and went with the vaya (ti). steel fargo is a tank, but probably not as much as a fatbike. there is a norwegian with a blog somewhere who photo documents his bike camping trips on a fargo.

golden bikes might also still carry them.

gdw
02-24-2013, 02:59 PM
This is the website you're referring to:
http://www.yetirides.com/
He's Finnish and has some excellent posts and videos from his trips around the country.

firerescuefin
02-24-2013, 03:29 PM
What type of riding would you use it for.... pavement, dirt roads, singletrack, bikepacking?

Mostly dirt roads...been looking at the Vaya as well.

csm
02-24-2013, 03:48 PM
I've got a 1st generation one and mt wife has a second gen. Great all around bike. We ride rail trails with them as well as around town and touring. Not a lightweight but nimble enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

pbarry
02-24-2013, 04:26 PM
Is Ross Shafer still involved with Salsa or is it 100% QBP? Products U.S. made or overseas now?

thirdgenbird
02-24-2013, 04:43 PM
Is Ross Shafer still involved with Salsa or is it 100% QBP? Products U.S. made or overseas now?

Ross left shortly after the buyout. Salsa is 100% overseas as far as I know. Maybe the titanium is domestic???

The old salsa facility is now Soulcraft. I don't know if Ross is involved, but I thnk its still on his farm.

MadRocketSci
02-24-2013, 05:18 PM
my 2011 vaya ti is lynskey built, but is no longer being made. vaya comes in regular and stainless now, fargo ti may or may not still be lynskey made. The other 700c ti frames - warbird, colossal, are made overseas.

gomango
02-24-2013, 05:19 PM
The Fargo ti is no longer produced in the United States.

Didn't matter to me, as I opted for a 2012 at a heck of a price at our shop.

gdw
02-24-2013, 05:24 PM
If you're just planning to ride dirt roads on the plains a Vaya is probably a better choice but if you're interested in exploring the mountains, get a Fargo.The Fargo is popular with the people who are riding rougher dirt roads and old railroad grades like the Argentine Pass, Rollins Pass, or the Switzerland Trail where wider tires offer more cushion and traction than cross tires. It's an excellent platform for bikepacking and has been used successfully by a number of Tour Divide riders and racers over the past several years. It can be used on mixed singletrack and is a better choice than a cross bike but isn't as good as a dedicated mountain bike.